GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Ready to take the plunge

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Range Rover HSE, 1999 Porsche Boxster (hubby)
Ready to take the plunge

I'm a newbie to this forum but have learned a lot from reading all the posts the past few days. I have owned my Range Rover for 8 years that I love but it's worn out at 130,000 miles. I'm now at the point with two small daughters (18 months and 5) and two large dogs (that we take almost everywhere) that we need a larger vehicle. After test driving the X5 (fun to drive but too small), the LR3 (liked the features but seems cumbersome in its handling) and ruling out a Range Rover due to reliability and lack of 3rd row I've decided on the GL.

I'm a bit concerned about giving up a tailgate since it seems less difficult to control my dogs' exit from the car compared to the gradual opening of a tailgate. If you've ever tried to control two excited Rhodesian Ridgebacks who are ready to hit the trails, you know what I mean. For those of you who have dogs is this a non-issue?

The other thing I loved about my Range Rover is that I feel so safe driving it especially in storms. Does the GL handle puddles, etc. well? I love the off road ability though I rarely get to use it. How does the GL handle snow, etc without the off road package? My dealer says it's only needed for serious off-roaders. I rarely get to do off-road but one of the funnest experiences with my Rangie was taking it off road in one of the classes.

Is the GL550 really worth the price with the extra options. I would most likely pick the P2 package, keyless entry, leather seat option anyway on the 450.

The most heartbreaking thing is that they don't sell the diesel option in California but there are rumors about the Bluetec GL coming available in August 2008. Unfortunately, I'm in the situation where I can't justify putting any more money into my Rangie so I'm in a rental car until I get my new wheels and waiting 6 months or so just seems too long to be in a rental.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I'm at the point where I need to make a decision between the GL450 and
Old 03-02-2008, 10:02 PM

2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by RR Mommy
I'm a bit concerned about giving up a tailgate since it seems less difficult to control my dogs' exit from the car compared to the gradual opening of a tailgate. If you've ever tried to control two excited Rhodesian Ridgebacks who are ready to hit the trails, you know what I mean. For those of you who have dogs is this a non-issue?
First off, welcome to the forum!

I have 3 Labs who travel with us. I've had lift gates on my past 3 vehicles (Explorers & Expedition). I've trained my dogs to stay when the lift gate goes up or down. It took a bit of training, but they are very good about not jumping out until given the release command. I like the fact that the rear quarter windows pop open, giving my dogs some fresh air.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:15 PM

Smile Quarter window

Thanks for the tip. I wondered if this was just a training issue. I "pretested" my Ridgebacks with my sister's Highlander hatchback and they seemed a little spooked and stayed way back until I put it up or down when they were inside. I had no idea that the rear quarter windows opened up. That's a bonus.

Does the cargo net divider work well for you?

I love the color combination of capri blue/tan on your GL450.

How does the color/carpet color stand up to wear especially with the dogs? Is there a good cargo liner to prevent all the dog hair from sticking in the carpet?

Thanks for the welcome!

Last edited by RR Mommy; 03-02-2008 at 11:27 PM. Reason: more to say
Old 03-03-2008, 01:08 AM

2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by RR Mommy
Thanks for the tip. I wondered if this was just a training issue. I "pretested" my Ridgebacks with my sister's Highlander hatchback and they seemed a little spooked and stayed way back until I put it up or down when they were inside. I had no idea that the rear quarter windows opened up. That's a bonus.

Does the cargo net divider work well for you?

I love the color combination of capri blue/tan on your GL450.

How does the color/carpet color stand up to wear especially with the dogs? Is there a good cargo liner to prevent all the dog hair from sticking in the carpet?

Thanks for the welcome!
I love the cargo net divider, although I never leave my 1-year old Lab in it unattended...he's a chewing fiend!

I have the Weathertek liner and it works great. My 7-year old male Lab gets quite car sick, so I've always had a cargo liner with him. Works great; pull it out & hose it off (sorry if that's too much information )
Old 03-03-2008, 08:45 AM

2010 S550, '10 Road glide, '10 Sportster "48"
Once you get your lion dogs trained to remain, I think you will be very happy
My ML is as stable as a rock in inclement weather
Old 03-03-2008, 09:57 AM

GL550
I have a pair of 100 lb German Shepherd young active dogs. Kustom Krates in Texas builds custom dog crates for any vehicle that utilize every inch of cargo space and the dogs have a 360 degree view of the outside. The quality is that of a Snapon tool chest made of aircraft aluminum and chrome on the front door. My dogs took a 1200 mile trip at Thanksgiving and enjoyed the ride so much they slept most of the trip. Also Mercedes makes a flap that I flip over the chrome bumper step plate that prevents dog scratches on entry and exit. My 550 has every option on the list and I have 0 regrets nor has it had a single repair. Welcome an good luck .
Old 03-03-2008, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by LEOSOPHIE
Kustom Krates in Texas builds custom dog crates for any vehicle that utilize every inch of cargo space and the dogs have a 360 degree view of the outside. The quality is that of a Snapon tool chest made of aircraft aluminum and chrome on the front door.
I have seen this crate (Hi, Stew) and will second this opinion. An added bonus is that chrome on this crate looks awesome in a 550
Old 03-06-2008, 11:26 PM

Thanks for all of the useful info especially cargo liners and dog crates. My mind is made up on the GL450 or maybe even GL550 and I also put a request in for a slightly used GL320CDI to my local dealer but there are also rumors about the GL420CDI coming to market but I'll save that for another thread...