GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

BMW X5 Hybrid Diesel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL550
BMW X5 Hybrid Diesel

Just read about a diesel hybrid for Europe. Twin turbo diesel achieving 40 mpg, can Mercedes be far behind?
Old 03-06-2008, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
In short... Nope.

See story from Jalopnik.com

http://jalopnik.com/364292/mercedes-...ble-compromise
Old 03-06-2008, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by Danno4x4
In short... Nope.

See story from Jalopnik.com

http://jalopnik.com/364292/mercedes-...ble-compromise
I agree Danno.

But I also feel MB has dropped the marketing ball on the GL320CDI. For over a year they have had an exclusive on a diesel SUV and they failed to capitalize on it. When 2009/2010 get here there will be all kinds of competition with diesel and diesel hybrids. It would have been to MB's advantage to cement their long history of diesel automobiles into the minds of US drivers with the CDI models. I have been crying for a diesel wagon for years but the bean counters keep getting in the way. I doubt we will see a diesel wagon when the new E hits the market in 2010 or 2011.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
For over a year they have had an exclusive on a diesel SUV and they failed to capitalize on it.
The real problem was all these guys who had ordered diesels who cancelled and got GL550's instead.

(That's you whacking the back of my head, by the way.)

On a serious note, I disagree. Mercedes has been quietly pushing the diesel this whole time, though perhaps not as strongly as they should have. But they needed to be careful - if market situations changed, they might've been holding the bag with a heavy diesel slant while everyone else was going another way. Hybrid, for instance. But they were also the ones talking about having a diesel for each model and making 50-state diesels by next year. Other than Volkswagen, nobody else has a series of diesel models in the US. We should have a diesel Focus by now, a diesel Tundra and Land Cruiser already, but we don't. Mercedes has four diesel models, covering a large portion of the buying spectrum. Who else is doing that today in the US?

STP
Old 03-06-2008, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by StevethePilot
The real problem was all these guys who had ordered diesels who cancelled and got GL550's instead.

(That's you whacking the back of my head, by the way.)

On a serious note, I disagree. Mercedes has been quietly pushing the diesel this whole time, though perhaps not as strongly as they should have. But they needed to be careful - if market situations changed, they might've been holding the bag with a heavy diesel slant while everyone else was going another way. Hybrid, for instance. But they were also the ones talking about having a diesel for each model and making 50-state diesels by next year. Other than Volkswagen, nobody else has a series of diesel models in the US. We should have a diesel Focus by now, a diesel Tundra and Land Cruiser already, but we don't. Mercedes has four diesel models, covering a large portion of the buying spectrum. Who else is doing that today in the US?

STP
If they had put the hoses on right I would be driving a diesel SUV and if they had offered a diesel wagon I would be driving it instead of the SUV! There...take that (slap) BTW...I love the GL550...:-)

I did not say they are not the leaders in diesel technology...I said they dropped the "marketing" ball for the GL320CDI. Nobody, and I mean nobody builds a better diesel automobile than MB, but nobody knows that because nobody at MB told them about it!

I have been a fan of MB diesels since I got my first one in 1980 (a 240D with 81 HP.) MB's doesn't have to sell me but they sure have to sell their story to the US buyers. Look at the "h" campaign being touted by Lexus...I hate to see when Lexus puts on a "d" campaign...MB will be playing catch up regardless of their diesel expertise and number of diesel models. I repeat, they threw away a year of marketing an exclusive diesel product and must now try to convince buyers that theirs is better than the competition.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:34 PM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
If they had put the hoses on right I would be driving a diesel SUV and if they had offered a diesel wagon I would be driving it instead of the SUV! There...take that (slap) BTW...I love the GL550...:-)

I did not say they are not the leaders in diesel technology...I said they dropped the "marketing" ball for the GL320CDI. Nobody, and I mean nobody builds a better diesel automobile than MB, but nobody knows that because nobody at MB told them about it!

I have been a fan of MB diesels since I got my first one in 1980 (a 240D with 81 HP.) MB's doesn't have to sell me but they sure have to sell their story to the US buyers. Look at the "h" campaign being touted by Lexus...I hate to see when Lexus puts on a "d" campaign...MB will be playing catch up regardless of their diesel expertise and number of diesel models. I repeat, they threw away a year of marketing an exclusive diesel product and must now try to convince buyers that theirs is better than the competition.
That's funny you mention this. I have commented to Kristen on several occasions "Of all the MB commercials you see on TV, I have never once seen one advertising their diesels." I could see this happening in a 5 of 50 state, but not in one that has a history of embracing diesels. Of course if they are sending 70% of them back to Europe and there are not enough to go around here in the US, maybe they know something that we do not.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by scottybdiving
"Of all the MB commercials you see on TV, I have never once seen one advertising their diesels."
How true..........I did not know what CDI stood for till I started hanging out here.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:21 AM

GL550
I agree Danno.

But I also feel MB has dropped the marketing ball on the GL320CDI. For over a year they have had an exclusive on a diesel SUV and they failed to capitalize on it. When 2009/2010 get here there will be all kinds of competition with diesel and diesel hybrids. It would have been to MB's advantage to cement their long history of diesel automobiles into the minds of US drivers with the CDI models. I have been crying for a diesel wagon for years but the bean counters keep getting in the way. I doubt we will see a diesel wagon when the new E hits the market in 2010 or 2011.
I was told yesterday by a veteran Mercedes salesman and former dealer that in '09' 5 more states will lose Mercedes diesels.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LEOSOPHIE
I was told yesterday by a veteran Mercedes salesman and former dealer that in '09' 5 more states will lose Mercedes diesels.
I don't quite understand "lose Mercedes diesels." Effective in '09 (I think) the Adblue Bluetec CDI will be legal in all 50 states.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:19 AM

GL550
I don't quite understand "lose Mercedes diesels." Effective in '09 (I think) the Adblue Bluetec CDI will be legal in all 50 states.
I will quiz him again on monday.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:07 PM

GL 320CDI
Bluetec is a definite for 2009 and will make the GL diesels 50-state approved. This is confirmed in multimple media sources and by my dealer in Annapolis.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:39 PM

Funny this topic should come up... Just last night I saw a Mercedes-Benz commercial on TV... It features a ML320CDI zooming ahead of a bus while merging on to the expressway. Then it freezes and a fella comes over and talks about Mercedes diesel technology while the engine magically emerges from the hood and proceeds to come apart to show all of the components while they are moving.

At the end of the commercial it invites viewers to take a look at the 3 new generation diesel SUVs from Mercedes-Benz and shows a picture of the ML, GL and R class.

I was trying to find a posted version online but I couldn't
Old 03-07-2008, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by scottybdiving
That's funny you mention this. I have commented to Kristen on several occasions "Of all the MB commercials you see on TV, I have never once seen one advertising their diesels." I could see this happening in a 5 of 50 state, but not in one that has a history of embracing diesels. Of course if they are sending 70% of them back to Europe and there are not enough to go around here in the US, maybe they know something that we do not.
What's funny about both you and Jack is, I just saw a commercial for the MB TurboDiesel last night! And yes, it's the first one I saw. I think it was on "Lost" and it showed a gal in an ML accelerating to merge in front of a semi. They froze the scene, and digitally animated the 320 engine above the hood, having parts move around as they talked about the displacement, the common rail injection, and the turbocharger.

Which just goes to show, they listen to Jack.

Tell 'em to bring the 420 here, Jack!
Old 03-07-2008, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Danno4x4
Funny this topic should come up... Just last night I saw a Mercedes-Benz commercial on TV... It features a ML320CDI zooming ahead of a bus while merging on to the expressway. Then it freezes and a fella comes over and talks about Mercedes diesel technology while the engine magically emerges from the hood and proceeds to come apart to show all of the components while they are moving.

At the end of the commercial it invites viewers to take a look at the 3 new generation diesel SUVs from Mercedes-Benz and shows a picture of the ML, GL and R class.

I was trying to find a posted version online but I couldn't
D'oh! I knew I should've read ahead. Darn!
Old 03-07-2008, 04:14 PM

2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
But they needed to be careful - if market situations changed, they might've been holding the bag with a heavy diesel slant while everyone else was going another way. Hybrid, for instance.
STP

You bring up an interesting point, Steve. Do you think MB may be thinking the diesel/hybrid situation may turn into another Blue Ray/HD DVD (or for those old enough to remember, BetaMax/VHS) debate? One will win; the other will lose.

My only issue with the hybrids are the batteries. When you have to dispose of them, you can't just toss 'em into a landfill. There are requirements and costs associated with their disposal. Diesels now run much cleaner than they did in the past. Knowing what I know now about diesels, if I were given a choice of a hybrid or a diesel, I'd take a diesel.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by Newbie_2_MB
You bring up an interesting point, Steve. Do you think MB may be thinking the diesel/hybrid situation may turn into another Blue Ray/HD DVD (or for those old enough to remember, BetaMax/VHS) debate? One will win; the other will lose.

My only issue with the hybrids are the batteries. When you have to dispose of them, you can't just toss 'em into a landfill. There are requirements and costs associated with their disposal. Diesels now run much cleaner than they did in the past. Knowing what I know now about diesels, if I were given a choice of a hybrid or a diesel, I'd take a diesel.
Great post and I thoroughly agree.

And, sadly, I remember Betamax too.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Newbie_2_MB

I think the question still stands; petrol or diesel. The format war isn't over yet. But as for the real question, it's whether you're going to turn down a hybrid diesel in favor of a plain diesel?

STP
Old 03-10-2008, 03:42 PM

2008 GL 320 CDI Black/Black
I agree Danno.

I brought my boys to the auto show this weekend in Minneapolis. Hard to believe, but no GL320 or GL550 on the floor. They had 2 450's! I was blown away that MB would not want to show off their superiority in the diesel category when many other brands are touting hybrids of some kind or another. Also no sexy'ed up 550 to show up everything else (SUV wise) on the floor!
Old 03-10-2008, 04:27 PM

I actually wonder if MZB is actually trying to keep the diesels a bit on the down low...

They are probably selling enough of them in the US to meet their goals, and there are only so many diesel engines available to be put into the vehicles. It seems that their primary market is Europe, where based on the Dollar-Euro exchange rate, they are making a lot more money on each vehicle...

If demand were to significantly out strip supply in the US, they would have a situation where the diesels were extremely hard to find and/or backorder times would be significant.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:55 PM

Did you guys see the Motorweek show this week. They had a long segment on the GL CDI. It was a great show and they loved the truck.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by luxury1
Did you guys see the Motorweek show this week. They had a long segment on the GL CDI. It was a great show and they loved the truck.
Yep, there was another thread in which the Motorweek review was brought up:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...95#post2701395
Old 03-10-2008, 08:02 PM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
BMW builds a great car. There's an M5 sitting in my garage right now and I've had twenty other BMWs ranging from M3s to X5s to various convertibles. I love the way they drive, and I love the dealer service.

I'll go so far as to say that my 2000 X5 was the best car I've ever had save for its pitiful cargo and people carrying capacity. I was really looking forward to the new X5 hoping for a true seven seat vehicle with more carrying capacity. My X5 drove great: it was like a sports car that had AWD and sat up off the road.

But BMW failed me. That's why I'm in the GL 320, which I really love. It is my first MB.

BMW builds, on paper, a better diesel for an SUV than MB does: more power, more torque. It is the same engine they have used in Europe for years and the same one they will introduce in the US later this year in the 3, 5, and X5.

All that said, BMW has not addressed my major complaint and concern: carrying capacity. Until they build a car to compete with the GL, they will not have a competitor, nor does anyone else especially when it comes to a seven passenger SUV with a diesel engine.

I think the idea of a diesel/electric engine is attractive, and I hope MB is looking at it.

I'll buy a BMW diesel (with or without hybrid) when it comes in a full sized SUV. Until then, MB has my loyalty.

Truly, I have no complaints against the GL 320. It is difficult for me to see BMW or anyone else building a true competitor. (However, I think RR builds a diesel variant in Europe, does it not?...)

Last edited by oinick; 03-10-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by oinick
BMW builds a great car. There's an M5 sitting in my garage right now and I've had twenty other BMWs ranging from M3s to X5s to various convertibles. I love the way they drive, and I love the dealer service.

I'll go so far as to say that my 2000 X5 was the best car I've ever had save for its pitiful cargo and people carrying capacity. I was really looking forward to the new X5 hoping for a true seven seat vehicle with more carrying capacity. My X5 drove great: it was like a sports car that had AWD and sat up off the road.

But BMW failed me. That's why I'm in the GL 320, which I really love. It is my first MB.

BMW builds, on paper, a better diesel for an SUV than MB does: more power, more torque. It is the same engine they have used in Europe for years and the same one they will introduce in the US later this year in the 3, 5, and X5.

All that said, BMW has not addressed my major complaint and concern: carrying capacity. Until they build a car to compete with the GL, they will not have a competitor, nor does anyone else especially when it come to a seven passenger SUV with a diesel engine.

I think the idea of a diesel/electric engine is attractive, and I hope MB is looking at it.

I'll buy a BMW diesel (with or without hybrid) when it comes in a full sized SUV. Until then, MB has my loyalty.

Truly, I have no complaints against the GL 320. It is difficult for me to see BMW or anyone else building a true competitor. (However, I think RR builds a diesel variant in Europe, does it not?...)
There is definitely a market for an X7. I thought that this was the way they were heading when they bought Range Rover. If they made it, I would buy it for sure.