GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Model Year '09 Options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2008 | 08:35 PM

2007 GL450
Here is the quote from GL Fahrer from a 7/19/07 post.

"Dual source DVD entertainment (2x DVD Drives) will be available with MY'09."

So let's see if it really happened.
Old 03-19-2008 | 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by gordongl450

If it's true, that will be super slick!

Nice research work too!
Old 03-19-2008 | 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
I know that I find myself looking down too many times at the buttons on our current steering wheel when trying to switch between functions or songs on the iPod.
The current iPod integration kit is a joke/hack/kluge/band-aid/disgusting, IMO. You aren't the only one feeling the pain, Brian.
Old 03-19-2008 | 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6

It will be vewy, vewy intewesting, in the least. Remember, DVD drives give off heat, so, placement is also dependent on ventilation.
Old 03-19-2008 | 11:38 PM

1972 Chevy Vega 2300 - Panel Express
Will any one be at NYIAS?

The new RSE can indeed view two different DVD's at the same time. One from the DVD player in the rear center console and the another sourced from the COMAND unit in front (having HD Navigation allows sourcing of the CD/DVD player in the head unit).
So one rear passenger can select the DVD in the rear DVD player, and the other rear passenger can select to view his movie on RSE sourced from the player in the Head unit.

In fact, three movies could be played simultaneously:
Watch DVD 1 on the COMAND screen (sourced from the head unit)
Watch DVD 2 on the left RSE (sourcing the rear DVD player)
Watch DVD 3 on the right RSE (sourcing an external player plugged into the right RSE screen)

No more DVD player under the rear pax seat

Use two wireless headphones and select for left or right screen.

If your an audiophile, you can listen to your CD, MP3, iPod, music files, or DVD over the enhanced 610w H/K LOGIC7...did I mention that Dolby Digital surround sound 5.1 is standard?
Just imagine what a 5 channel DVD/AUDIO ( advanced resolution multi-channel surround sound) will feel like; windows closed with all 11 speakers and the sub-woofer.

Last edited by GL Fahrer; 03-20-2008 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-20-2008 | 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Hell yeah if they are coming out with DVD-A 5.1 Audio I am going to make sure that my order is MY09 then.

Sorry but the day has finally come for all of us to replace our vehicles. Remember that the new COMAND will also let you rip up to 4GB of music to your COMAND HU with Music Register, which IMO is an added Bonus.
Old 03-20-2008 | 03:45 AM

'08 GL 320 CDI (scheduled delivery 3/20/08)
The article in the jaloprik link above mentioned a GL 420 CDI which has been out in Europe for some time. However, the GL 420 its not going to be available in the US market for 2009, is it?
Old 03-20-2008 | 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by Greul
The article in the jaloprik link above mentioned a GL 420 CDI which has been out in Europe for some time. However, the GL 420 its not going to be available in the US market for 2009, is it?
No GL420 CDI for US market in '09 and many years down the road.
Old 03-20-2008 | 10:11 AM

2007 GL450
Command DVD Question

GL Fahrer,

1. You are saying that the Command unit now has 2 DVD players? One for the Navigation DVD which is installed all the time and a second drive that is a combination DVD/CD drive to supply a source to one of the rear seat screens.

2. In terms of potentially watching 3 different DVDs simulataneously, that is of course with the truck parked, correct? In the USA wouldn't it be illegal to have the command screen playing a DVD with the truck in Drive?

3. I am glad the DVD player is no longer under the back seat!
Old 03-20-2008 | 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL Fahrer,

1. You are saying that the Command unit now has 2 DVD players? One for the Navigation DVD which is installed all the time and a second drive that is a combination DVD/CD drive to supply a source to one of the rear seat screens.
With the HD based NAV, the DVD is no longer required to be "in the slot" so it can be used for other DVD needs.

BTW...the terminology for the "command" is COMAND which is an acronym for something...
Old 03-20-2008 | 10:44 AM

2007 GL450
Hd Nav?

NJ,

Does that HD stand for "Hard Drive" NAV?

That would be very nice, especially if there an easy and inexpensive way to get up-dated data downloaded. Does anybody know anything about data download capability yet??

So I suppose that means that somehow they have added controls appropriate for DVD playing, PLAY, Chapter Skip, PAUSE, etc. on the COMAND unit.

You know, that is one of the problems with the present MB RSE package, if you loose the remote or it breaks you can't start the DVD playing! The controls on the screen are for volume and brightness! I think it is a must to have hard wired DVD controls.

Thanks for the correction about COMAND, I need to get that right.

Gordon
Old 03-20-2008 | 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NJ,

Does that HD stand for "Hard Drive" NAV?

That would be very nice, especially if there an easy and inexpensive way to get up-dated data downloaded. Does anybody know anything about data download capability yet??

Thanks for the correction about COMAND, I need to get that right.

Gordon
Yes...HD is a hard drive for the NAV system. It is faster than the DVD set up.

Data download is already a feature in the S and C. You can set up a route in Google map (and others?) and then upload that to a server and then download it to your HD....I think it is in someway connected to the SIRIUS set up for in car reception but have no idea how it works. Updates to the database is from the dealer I think on an annual basis like the current DVD setup.

I have no information on the controls and such.

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 03-20-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-20-2008 | 11:55 AM

2016 GL63 & 2008 S550
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Yes...HD is a hard drive for the NAV system. It is faster than the DVD set up.

Data download is already a feature in the S and C. You can set up a route in Google map (and others?) and then upload that to a server and then download it to your HD....I think it is in someway connected to the SIRIUS set up for in car reception but have no idea how it works. Updates to the database is from the dealer I think on an annual basis like the current DVD setup.

I have no information on the controls and such.
I would expect it to be nearly identical to the S's setup, sans the bulk of "hard" buttons that are offered on the S model. The C, in my opinion, lacks some much needed "hard" controls, near the control wheel, and I hope they don't make the same mistake in the GL.

The Google Maps upload works great. It's one feature of the S that I find myself using over and over, as I try to explore all of the restaurants in Orange County. Too bad there's no Google Earth plug-in, but I'm sure it can be done rather easily.

As far as extended features of Sirrius, I would hope to see support for their backseat network, or whatever they're calling it now, which is supposed to deliver a selection of video content for the RSE. I get brochures form Sirrius for this stuff all the time, and it looks like plenty of other manufacturers are starting to offer it. Another feature of the Sirrius service is also the live traffic feeds that you get in the Nav screens. I may be wrong about this, though, as it may be a part of the tele-aid package and not sirius?

I'm almost kicking myself for not waiting until this major upgrade to the GL. I knew it was coming and I could've easily held on for another year; however, every time I drive my 550, I have no regrets in the decision. Whenever I need a taste of the tech, I take the S for the day...

I wouldn't expect the ride to change much in the new GL, which is what truly counts in my opinion. And honestly, I don't think they need to change it (Unless they add ABC, of course).

-C

Last edited by CommanderCody; 03-20-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-20-2008 | 12:02 PM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
I bet they get rid of the DVD drive for NAV that is behind the command screen when the switch to the HD based system (faster responding to inputs vs. DVD) and I bet they will upgrade the changer to the one in the S that also plays DVD's all this is completely worthless as the e-brake has to be on and the car in park for the DVD to play in command.

I the updated command will have the same software as the S and the C. The top line on the screen makes uo the main menus and about 3 to four sub menus for each. Using this interface without a command controller just seems like a terrible idea especially using the multidirectional arrows. I did notice that there is a back button on the command.

Nevada Jack, I am sure you can attest to how user friendly the S class command system is. Just dont know how those menu's can be navigated without the controller with ease.

I wonder if the same voice command from the S/C will be available as well
Old 03-20-2008 | 12:08 PM

2007 GL450
CC,

I agree with you. I have no real regrets about having a 2008 GL320. However, the NAV is a little weak although still useful. I think that is the weakest part of the truck. I wish they had updated the NAV and COMAND for model year 08.

Oh well, there will be new updates every year that we will wish we had.

I don't care too much about cosmetic changes but I do care about the electronic changes. I wish the GL series had broke new ground for electronics at the time of it's release (07) instead of using old technology and doing these incremental upgrades. However, I am sure it takes a great amount of effort to engineer a new truck from scratch and they have to work with the stuff they have at the time of the engineering.
Old 03-20-2008 | 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CommanderCody
I would expect it to be nearly identical to the S's setup, sans the bulk of "hard" buttons that are offered on the S model. The C, in my opinion, lacks some much needed "hard" controls, near the control wheel, and I hope they don't make the same mistake in the GL.

The Google Maps upload works great. It's one feature of the S that I find myself using over and over, as I try to explore all of the restaurants in Orange County. Too bad there's no Google Earth plug-in, but I'm sure it can be done rather easily.

As far as extended features of Sirrius, I would hope to see support for their backseat network, or whatever they're calling it now, which is supposed to deliver a selection of video content for the RSE. I get brochures form Sirrius for this stuff all the time, and it looks like plenty of other manufacturers are starting to offer it. Another feature of the Sirrius service is also the live traffic feeds that you get in the Nav screens. I may be wrong about this, though, as it may be a part of the tele-aid package and not sirius?

I'm almost kicking myself for not waiting until this major upgrade to the GL. I knew it was coming and I could've easily held on for another year; however, every time I drive my 550, I have no regrets in the decision. Whenever I need a taste of the tech, I take the S for the day...

I wouldn't expect the ride to change much in the new GL, which is what truly counts in my opinion. And honestly, I don't think they need to change it (Unless they add ABC, of course).

-C
I think you are right about the Teleaid connection, rather than the Sirius. I sold the S before the updates for traffic and downloading of google stuff was introduced.

The NAV update in the GL is a version update to 2.5 from 2.0, so I would not expect any revolutionary changes except for the HD and some other features. I think they will probably have the same head unit they have now but really that is a guess. As far as the display, I agree it would be unwieldy without the S rotary control to go through the various screens. I adapted to the S COMAND in a matter of a few days...very intuitive as far as I was concerned.

This will not be the C Class or GLK Class NAV...it will be an upgrade from the current NAV. Other changes for '09 will mostly be reaction to buyers needs and wants to bring to the GL features that were not ready when they introduced it.

Just my opinions...YMMV...:-)
Old 03-20-2008 | 04:55 PM

2016 GL63 & 2008 S550
I think you are right about the Teleaid connection, rather than the Sirius. I sold the S before the updates for traffic and downloading of google stuff was introduced.

The NAV update in the GL is a version update to 2.5 from 2.0, so I would not expect any revolutionary changes except for the HD and some other features. I think they will probably have the same head unit they have now but really that is a guess. As far as the display, I agree it would be unwieldy without the S rotary control to go through the various screens. I adapted to the S COMAND in a matter of a few days...very intuitive as far as I was concerned.

This will not be the C Class or GLK Class NAV...it will be an upgrade from the current NAV. Other changes for '09 will mostly be reaction to buyers needs and wants to bring to the GL features that were not ready when they introduced it.

Just my opinions...YMMV...:-)
You are right about the HW upgrades. I would imagine the center console and instrument cluster would need to be reworked a bit to house the new components. Hopefully they go the S/GLK route and keep the screen fixed, rather than the pop-up gimmick that is the C screen.

Last edited by CommanderCody; 03-20-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-20-2008 | 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by CommanderCody
Hopefully they go the S/GLK route and keep the screen fixed, rather than the pop-up gimmick that is the C screen.
AMEN.......
Old 03-20-2008 | 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
BTW...the terminology for the "command" is COMAND which is an acronym for something...
Can't Often Make A Normal Decision.

Crappy Overland Map And Nav Data.

Cereal Oscar Missile Atlanta Newbie Distance.

Climb Over Mom And Not Dad.

Coral Ostriches Make Awful Nasty Dents.

(Okay, I'll stop now.)
Old 03-20-2008 | 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
COMAND = COckpit Management And Data.

Watch STP go wild on this one
Old 03-20-2008 | 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by oknish
COMAND = COckpit Management And Data.

Watch STP go wild on this one
Don't encourage him...:-)
Old 03-20-2008 | 11:13 PM

2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Crappy Overland Map And Nav Data.

Wins my vote! Dude, you have WAY too much time on your hands
Old 03-21-2008 | 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Climb Over Mom And Not Dad
Love your creativity man and my vote is for the one listed above.

Maybe that's why you're in "the business".
Old 03-21-2008 | 01:29 PM

'08 GL 320CDI
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Hey, When i go to the dealer tomorrow I will ask in person this time on how they got it done.

As for the accident my wife was in the car with my dad and the twins. Luckily everyone was ok. Everyone was shaken up but no harm done. The Toyota was a complete loss from what the police report says citing "massive frontal damage." So much for well built on Toyota's part. I was away on a business trip for almost 2 weeks and came home as soon as I heard. The GL held up just as it was designed to do so, and the dealer was amazed at how well it held up. The frame wasn't bent luckily and quite honestly, I have no desire to put my family in that damaged car again, hence the decision to buy a new one. Insurance didn't total it, they say its repairable, but im pushing for them to total it.

I will opt for the same GL550 but in a color other than white.
Hey MB, did you ever get a chance to ask your dealer about the door lock "chirp" activation? Thanks.
Old 03-21-2008 | 05:41 PM

2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
SO, in terms of 09 updates, have a i read correctly that you guys do NOT think the mouse from the COMAND system in the GLK/C will make it into the new GL. IMHO, that's a must-we're such a computerized society, that this is a logical new interface. Although i'm sure they'll retain the column-mounted shifter, the old console-mount transmission is appealing for sentimental reasons as it harkens back for so long in all the MB's.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Model Year '09 Options