GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Model Year '09 Options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2008 | 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Model Year '09 Options

See the next post referring to new options for the '09 GL.

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 03-15-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-15-2008 | 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Model Year '09 items

The referenced thread is getting long and covers a few subjects so I have reposted the information directly here:

I have information that Ventilated Seats will be available as an Option only on the GL550 for '09. Also Nappa Leather and Light Birchwood Trim will be optional, again only on the GL550.

Distronic is the least ordered option and is planned to be dropped for '09. Nish this will make you cry I am sure...:-)

I have no idea where Fahrer is????

Stay tuned....
Old 03-15-2008 | 11:03 AM

2007 GL450
Better Front Seats?

I will be interested to see the new lumbar adjustments for the front seats. From the BenzInsider.com release for the M, GL and R:

"4-way electrically adjustable lumbar support for driver and front passenger seat"

I wonder if "electrically" means a different mechanism than the pnuematic mechanism in the old Multicontour Seats?

The Multicontour Seats in '07, which we had, were marginal in my view, not popular and therefore not offered as an option in '08 (althought standard in the 550). In our '08, I must say that I don't miss them.

However, I believe a SUV in this class should have a sophisticated adjustable front seat. I hope MB came up with something good.
Old 03-15-2008 | 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by gordongl450
I will be interested to see the new lumbar adjustments for the front seats. From the BenzInsider.com release for the M, GL and R:

"4-way electrically adjustable lumbar support for driver and front passenger seat"

I wonder if "electrically" means a different mechanism than the pnuematic mechanism in the old Multicontour Seats?

The Multicontour Seats in '07, which we had, were marginal in my view, not popular and therefore not offered as an option in '08 (althought standard in the 550). In our '08, I must say that I don't miss them.

However, I believe a SUV in this class should have a sophisticated adjustable front seat. I hope MB came up with something good.
I found this on a MB site which has detailed info on the GLK. It appears the "lumbar support" will be similar to the current Multicontour seats but maybe with less coverage since they specify "lumbar"

See this link below for more on the GLK:

http://www.vision-glk.com/?mbcom=1
Old 03-15-2008 | 01:08 PM

2007 GL450
Thanks NJ,

Maybe MB kept the lumbar adjustment (full or flat) and higher or lower support (therefore 4 way).

And took out the seat lengthening adjustment, which did not add much additional length anyway and the flank bolster tightening adjustment (inward or outward)? The flank tightening adjustment was the most useful adjustment for me in our '07GL.
Old 03-15-2008 | 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks NJ,

Maybe MB kept the lumbar adjustment (full or flat) and higher or lower support (therefore 4 way).

And took out the seat lengthening adjustment, which did not add much additional length anyway and the flank bolster tightening adjustment (inward or outward)? The flank tightening adjustment was the most useful adjustment for me in our '07GL.
The word "adaptive" may have special meaning? The S Class has dynamic adjustments that you can set the degree of support for the side and thigh bolsters. As you come into a curve or turn, the bolsters will support you in the seat in those areas. However, I wouldn't think the GLK would have that kind of high level technology. I think your description is probably accurate.
Old 03-15-2008 | 10:07 PM

1972 Chevy Vega 2300 - Panel Express
The 4-way power lumbar support is really pneumatic. It simply inflates or deflates and adjusts up or down the lower back...way better than the mechanical lever used now.
Old 03-16-2008 | 08:10 AM

2007 GL450
NJ,

You and I guessed correctly. The 4 way seat is basically the "lumbar portion" of the Multicontour Seat. That's OK.
Old 03-18-2008 | 08:56 PM

2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
Here is a little sneaky peekie of the refreshed interior of the ML class... From the other thread, it looks like the GL will get similar treatment...

You can read all about it at Jalopnik.com http://jalopnik.com/367332/mercedes-...0-hp-ml-63-amg

Attached Thumbnails Model Year '09 Options-ml-int.jpg  
Old 03-18-2008 | 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by Danno4x4
Here is a little sneaky peekie of the refreshed interior of the ML class... From the other thread, it looks like the GL will get similar treatment...
Interesting Danno. I know that I am glad that my DVD screens are integrated into the headrest. I can only imagine how long they would last in my truck before being "accidently" pulled off.

I can't wait to see the new command system.
Old 03-18-2008 | 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
Interesting Danno. I know that I am glad that my DVD screens are integrated into the headrest. I can only imagine how long they would last in my truck before being "accidently" pulled off.

I can't wait to see the new command system.
Keep in mind the "new COMAND system" will probably not be the COMAND in the new C or S (and maybe the GLK.) It will be an updated software package and perhaps a HD system rather than DVD which would allow for downloading of Google and other maps. I have not seen the C Class system working but I imagine the display and operation is similar to the S550 which I did have.

I don't think the GL and other SUV's will see a totally new COMAND until the next major update.
Old 03-19-2008 | 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by Danno4x4
Thanks, Danno. That satisfied my curiosity about what the new steering will look like.
Old 03-19-2008 | 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
That is what I was wondering too, Brian. The new screens do look sharp but I wonder if they can survive young 'uns gyrations while getting in or out.
Old 03-19-2008 | 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Keep in mind the "new COMAND system" will probably not be the COMAND in the new C or S (and maybe the GLK.) It will be an updated software package and perhaps a HD system rather than DVD which would allow for downloading of Google and other maps. I have not seen the C Class system working but I imagine the display and operation is similar to the S550 which I did have.

I don't think the GL and other SUV's will see a totally new COMAND until the next major update.
I am all confused now but that doesn't take much. So, the '09s will have the same COMAND as '07/08? I did see the new COMAND in a C 300 and it looked like what was shown in pics of GLK except the C class screen folds down in the dash while GL/GLK screen is a part of the center console.
Old 03-19-2008 | 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack

You are correct Jack. The NEW COMAND will be the HD NAV based units on the S/CL/C classes, but without the COMAND controller. The newly updated SL also gets the NEW COMAND controllerless NAV unit as the ML/GL.

I for one have to go shopping for a new GL as our GL is no more (got rear ended by a new Seqouia). At least the GL came out better than the Toyota.
Old 03-19-2008 | 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by oknish
I am all confused now but that doesn't take much. So, the '09s will have the same COMAND as '07/08? I did see the new COMAND in a C 300 and it looked like what was shown in pics of GLK except the C class screen folds down in the dash while GL/GLK screen is a part of the center console.
Nish, The C class has a power folding screen that neatly hides away in the dash, whereas the GLK has a stationary screen ala ML/GL.
Old 03-19-2008 | 01:35 AM

'08 GL 320CDI
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
You are correct Jack. The NEW COMAND will be the HD NAV based units on the S/CL/C classes, but without the COMAND controller. The newly updated SL also gets the NEW COMAND controllerless NAV unit as the ML/GL.

I for one have to go shopping for a new GL as our GL is no more (got rear ended by a new Seqouia). At least the GL came out better than the Toyota.
MB FANATIC: Sorry to hear about your acccident. Hope nobody was hurt.
Here is a quick, off the subject question.....didn't you mention a month or two ago that you had some success at getting your door lock "chirp" activated? If so, would you please let us know how that was done?
It's been a subject of a thread or two recently, and it has puzzled many (including dealer service techs) on how the activation is accomplished. If I have you confused with someone else, please accept my apologies. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2008 | 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by JDT1
MB FANATIC: Sorry to hear about your acccident. Hope nobody was hurt.
Here is a quick, off the subject question.....didn't you mention a month or two ago that you had some success at getting your door lock "chirp" activated? If so, would you please let us know how that was done?
It's been a subject of a thread or two recently, and it has puzzled many (including dealer service techs) on how the activation is accomplished. If I have you confused with someone else, please accept my apologies. Thanks.
Hey, When i go to the dealer tomorrow I will ask in person this time on how they got it done.

As for the accident my wife was in the car with my dad and the twins. Luckily everyone was ok. Everyone was shaken up but no harm done. The Toyota was a complete loss from what the police report says citing "massive frontal damage." So much for well built on Toyota's part. I was away on a business trip for almost 2 weeks and came home as soon as I heard. The GL held up just as it was designed to do so, and the dealer was amazed at how well it held up. The frame wasn't bent luckily and quite honestly, I have no desire to put my family in that damaged car again, hence the decision to buy a new one. Insurance didn't total it, they say its repairable, but im pushing for them to total it.

I will opt for the same GL550 but in a color other than white.
Old 03-19-2008 | 09:05 AM

2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Personally, i don't think i like the new steering wheel...comand (MCS) looks slightly different; one thing i do wish we could have is the same button the 211 COMANDs have in the directional instead of that stupid joystick that i can never manage to push "straight" in...
Old 03-19-2008 | 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Nish, The C class has a power folding screen that neatly hides away in the dash, whereas the GLK has a stationary screen ala ML/GL.
So, I thought, Fanatic.

BTW, sorry to hear of the accident and glad that no one got hurt. And, funny, you mention that you want any color but white. The only 550 I have seen here in SFV was a white one last Friday at Roy's in Woodland Hills.
Old 03-19-2008 | 05:33 PM

2007 GL450
New RSE

I wonder where the actual DVD players are?? GL Fahrer once posted that the 2009 RSE would have dual screens and dual DVD players.

I wonder if there is a DVD slot in each of the screens, like my Vizualogic system, or if there are 2 seperate DVD players under the rear seats?

Does anybody know?

Gordon
Old 03-19-2008 | 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
I wonder where the actual DVD players are?? GL Fahrer once posted that the 2009 RSE would have dual screens and dual DVD players.

I wonder if there is a DVD slot in each of the screens, like my Vizualogic system, or if there are 2 seperate DVD players under the rear seats?

Does anybody know?

Gordon
Gordon,

I might be mistaken, but I don't think there are going to be dual players.

I think there is going to be one player located behind the command system that will display on the two RSE's simultaneously. I think MB had to move the system from under the 2nd row of seats since they are transitioning to a wireless headset system.

I sure wish the DVD player in our '08 wasn't beneath the seat. It drives our family nuts, including the 9 yr. old.
Old 03-19-2008 | 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by oknish
Thanks, Danno. That satisfied my curiosity about what the new steering will look like.
Heck of a catch Nish!

It looks like it might be a lot easier to operate all of the command options. I know that I find myself looking down too many times at the buttons on our current steering wheel when trying to switch between functions or songs on the iPod.
Old 03-19-2008 | 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
The new steering wheel will integrate nicely with the new COMAND, just as with the S/CL/C classes. Too bad the GL won't get the new COMAND until its MMC.
Old 03-19-2008 | 08:25 PM

2007 GL450
Stumble,

I don't know how the 2009 RSE will be set up. But I specifically remember a post By GL Fahrer that is would be dual screen and dual DVD sources.

I was interested in that post by him because I love my dual DVD Vizualogic system and could imagine in advance that the old MB way of putting the DVD player under the rear seat was an inconvenient design choice.

I will try to search for that post. Maybe he will chime in with recent information.

Gordon

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Model Year '09 Options