GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Out Of The Box

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2008 | 01:32 AM

Out Of The Box

Its off topic but I was surprised when I heard that one of the main competitor of the GL450/550, Lexus 570 DOES NOT COME WITH HID (not even an option)!!! I tried to confirm this and yep its only 4 multi-reflector beam headlight. I was just surprised with the that amount of money and reputation, HID is not offered
Old 03-25-2008 | 02:11 AM

E55
Originally Posted by SL%%
Its off topic but I was surprised when I heard that one of the main competitor of the GL450/550, Lexus 570 DOES NOT COME WITH HID (not even an option)!!! I tried to confirm this and yep its only 4 multi-reflector beam headlight. I was just surprised with the that amount of money and reputation, HID is not offered

Yeah that was a major let down about that vehicle. I really liked it when I test drove it. The electronics in that SUV is amazing and yet they will not put auto leveling, steerable HID lights in that vehicle. Its retarded. I loved all the cameras. Another issue that I didnt like was the disabled nav and phone menus when driving, that would drive me crazy over time.

I am so glad that the 2009 GL has updated electronics it has now got my full attention and I will most likely get the GL 320 blutec.
Old 03-25-2008 | 03:07 AM

S55 (05), GL450 (07)
And have you checked the prices for the LX570? Insane.
They certainly beat the GL in some areas but they're facing a losing battle against the aggressive MB pricing.
Old 03-25-2008 | 03:17 AM

S500
yea I dont understand that concept about lexus? only thing I can think of as logic to NOT equip it with HID is maybe the height of the truck? But then an autoleveling system pointed downward would compensate for this, the new GL, not to mention escalade, r.rover, and navigator all have Xenons

if I recall correctly this has never been an option for the LX

I do agree tho it is still a very nice SUV, I think they should have equipped it with the LS projector tho...that would complete it I think, at least it would have cutting edge headlights as well
Old 03-25-2008 | 07:07 PM

E55
When I had my 04 Lexus GX 470 I was the first person to retro fit an after market HID kit with DYI pics and instructions for that vehicle on the clublexus forums. I really dont understand why they dont put HIDs on their higher priced SUVs. Mercedes, BMW, Acura, Porsche, Infiniti, Mercury all have SUVs that are bigger with HID standard.
Old 03-25-2008 | 07:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by TV550
When I had my 04 Lexus GX 470 I was the first person to retro fit an after market HID kit with DYI pics and instructions for that vehicle on the clublexus forums. I really dont understand why they dont put HIDs on their higher priced SUVs. Mercedes, BMW, Acura, Porsche, Infiniti, Mercury all have SUVs that are bigger with HID standard.
The folks over on ClubLexus went through a rather lengthy discussion about this. Lexus and Toyota are apparently against putting HIDs in their larger SUVs because of their height. It's rather lame because other manufacturers have done this for years with no problems.
Old 03-25-2008 | 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by AsianML
The folks over on ClubLexus went through a rather lengthy discussion about this. Lexus and Toyota are apparently against putting HIDs in their larger SUVs because of their height. It's rather lame because other manufacturers have done this for years with no problems.
I agree and if Lexus/Toyota says its because of the height, well let see, the GL, ML, Porsche Cayenne, Cadillac Escalade, Infiniti QX56 etc. are big and high and comes with HID as standard if not an option. Really Weird

Also, I went to check www.lexusuae.com, guess what HID IS STANDARD! (CLICK IMAGE BELOW) for the LX570 in UAE!

Last edited by SL%%; 03-25-2008 at 09:40 PM.