GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL-Class Bicycle Rack, Hitch-Mounted

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GL63 & 2008 S550
GL-Class Bicycle Rack, Hitch-Mounted

I just couldn't bring myself to store my bicycle(s) inside the cabin like I've done with previous SUVs. Even with the cargo mats in the rear for the dogs, the GL looks pretty rugged, but I'd rather it remain looking like an S-Class inside and not a Nissan Xterra. Bicycles tend to leave nice dark marks on the sides of the cargo area if you're not too careful. With my Mac interior, I am way to nervous to risk it.

The Thule and Yakima racks, of which I always leaned towards in the past, all seem to make their 90 degree bend just a little too close to the vehicle for my comfort. This, combined with the single point of contact for the horizontal wheel "channel" makes the setup a little less stable than I like, as the wheel "channels" have the ability to twist or bend after prolonged use. Don't even get me started on the types that just let the bike hang on a hook, swinging in the breeze.

I was able to catch a glimpse of the MB rack on an M-class at the FJ dealer in Newport Beach last weekend, and I was impressed. The "forked" design, yields a very study rack that could hold something a lot heavier than a couple of bikes. I immediately went to the parts department to order one (Actually, I stopped by my friendly sales associate's desk first to get my discount).

I was able to negotiate a pretty competitive price on the rack (475.00), given that the online vendors don't include shipping (found ones for just over 400 online). All-in-all, it's a pretty nice setup. The Locking mechanisms for the bicycles are of high quality, there are some handy tie-downs for the wheels, and the flip-down mechanism is easy to operate, in order to gain access to the rear (after removing the bikes). My only complaint was that I had to file down the square tube a bit to get it to fit nicely (someone didn't grind it down too well, after drilling the hole for the pin).

MB Part number: B6-6-85-1110
Attached Thumbnails GL-Class Bicycle Rack, Hitch-Mounted-img_0087.jpg   GL-Class Bicycle Rack, Hitch-Mounted-img_0088.jpg   GL-Class Bicycle Rack, Hitch-Mounted-img_0089.jpg   GL-Class Bicycle Rack, Hitch-Mounted-img_0090.jpg   GL-Class Bicycle Rack, Hitch-Mounted-img_0091.jpg  

GL-Class Bicycle Rack, Hitch-Mounted-88.jpg  

Last edited by CommanderCody; 04-03-2008 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'16 S550, '03 & '15 GMC Sierra 1500, '17 C300
CC,

What is the part #?
Old 04-03-2008, 10:24 PM

2016 GL63 & 2008 S550
Old 04-04-2008, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by CommanderCody
I just couldn't bring myself to store my bicycle(s) inside the cabin like I've done with previous SUVs. Even with the cargo mats in the rear for the dogs, the GL looks pretty rugged, but I'd rather it remain looking like an S-Class inside and not a Nissan Xterra. Bicycles tend to leave nice dark marks on the sides of the cargo area if you're not too careful. With my Mac interior, I am way to nervous to risk it.

The Thule and Yakima racks, of which I always leaned towards in the past, all seem to make their 90 degree bend just a little too close to the vehicle for my comfort. This, combined with the single point of contact for the horizontal wheel "channel" makes the setup a little less stable than I like, as the wheel "channels" have the ability to twist or bend after prolonged use. Don't even get me started on the types that just let the bike hang on a hook, swinging in the breeze.

I was able to catch a glimpse of the MB rack on an M-class at the FJ dealer in Newport Beach last weekend, and I was impressed. The "forked" design, yields a very study rack that could hold something a lot heavier than a couple of bikes. I immediately went to the parts department to order one (Actually, I stopped by my friendly sales associate's desk first to get my discount).

I was able to negotiate a pretty competitive price on the rack (475.00), given that the online vendors don't include shipping (found ones for just over 400 online). All-in-all, it's a pretty nice setup. The Locking mechanisms for the bicycles are of high quality, there are some handy tie-downs for the wheels, and the flip-down mechanism is easy to operate, in order to gain access to the rear (after removing the bikes). My only complaint was that I had to file down the square tube a bit to get it to fit nicely (someone didn't grind it down too well, after drilling the hole for the pin).

Commander,

Thanks for the write-up and glad you like the rack. We purchased the MB OEM 3-bike rack and are looking forward to using it this spring.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:35 AM

2014 GL 450
Looks very nice & great write up
Old 04-04-2008, 10:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 Land Cruiser, 2007 GL450 [SOLD], 2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x4 Limited, 2009 Corolla LE
I have thule bike rack and I am happy camper. So far I am very impressed with it. However, I did not compare this with OEM bike rack.
Attached Thumbnails GL-Class Bicycle Rack, Hitch-Mounted-gl450-thule.jpg  
Old 04-08-2008, 09:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
GLE350 4Matic (Emerald Green Metallic)
Originally Posted by CommanderCody
The Thule and Yakima racks, of which I always leaned towards in the past, all seem to make their 90 degree bend just a little too close to the vehicle for my comfort.
I bought a Yakima rack for $120 from REI that holds 4 bikes. When mounted on the hitch the upright is 3-4" from the rear bumper. The bikes are held tightly on the rack - they don't sway back and forth.

Anthony