GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Factory Tint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 03:51 PM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
20 E350 & 17 GLS450
Factory Tint

The wife is concerned that the tint in the rear is not enough to keep the sun from bothering the baby. I had a MDX and it was really not dark enough to shad and some light would bother the baby. I'm thinking of tinting over the factory tint in the rear. Trust me i don't mind doing the all the windows because i love the tint and the look but if i can save some $$$ that would be good. Considering i just got a ticket in my E350 with 15% tint... VA allow 50/35% which nothing if you ask me.

What doe you all think?

Thanks...
Old 05-01-2008, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
Originally Posted by terp97
The wife is concerned that the tint in the rear is not enough to keep the sun from bothering the baby. I had a MDX and it was really not dark enough to shad and some light would bother the baby. I'm thinking of tinting over the factory tint in the rear. Trust me i don't mind doing the all the windows because i love the tint and the look but if i can save some $$$ that would be good. Considering i just got a ticket in my E350 with 15% tint... VA allow 50/35% which nothing if you ask me.

What doe you all think?

Thanks...
Do you have IR glass? It is amazing, even here in Texas. When I drive my Duramax, I feel like I am getting sunburnt going home in the afternoon. When I drive the GL, it's not a problem, even with the sunroof shade open. It seems like it blocks nearly all the radiant heat. I'm not sure if there is an aftermarket product like this.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by scottybdiving
Do you have IR glass? It is amazing, even here in Texas. When I drive my Duramax, I feel like I am getting sunburnt going home in the afternoon. When I drive the GL, it's not a problem, even with the sunroof shade open. It seems like it blocks nearly all the radiant heat. I'm not sure if there is an aftermarket product like this.
My understanding is the film they use on the IR glass is, in fact, available as a clear 3M product (I think it's 3M - might be something else). The detailer I took my car to a couple of times said he could install that, which would nearly eliminate IR without darkening the tint at all.

I shall investigate further!

STP
Old 05-02-2008, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
My understanding is the film they use on the IR glass is, in fact, available as a clear 3M product (I think it's 3M - might be something else). The detailer I took my car to a couple of times said he could install that, which would nearly eliminate IR without darkening the tint at all.

I shall investigate further!

STP
I think you know of my concern about the IR glass. I had the front windows tinted and the windshield also. The windshield is almost neutral but catches all the IR/UV stuff as do the side window which I had done with a medium tint. The product is Formula I think. I do notice an improvement with the tint both heat wise and UV wise. The IR glass (which will be on the '09 550) is the best I have seen regarding glare, heat and UV protection (I had that on my S550.)

When I took my cross country trip in the GL, I noticed my "freckles" had returned to my left arm. I never saw this in my S with the IR glass on an earlier cross county trip. With 11 skin cancers on my record is why I tinted the front windows and windshield!