Diesel Hybrid ML/GL320CDI instead of ML/GL420CDI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03S600, 06 Range Rover SC, 97NSX, 99M3, 04RX330, 04Dakota, 01 3.2TL
Diesel Hybrid ML/GL320CDI instead of ML/GL420CDI

http://www.autospies.com/news/Merced...2-years-14352/

I've seen a few articles (like this and many others) recently after the GLK Diesel Hybrid was released. I guess the majority of them read that they will combine a hybrid system (single stage or dual stage, I've read about as many arguing either way) and Li-Ion batteries (instead of NiCad or NiMH) with the addition of adapting Honda/Acuras concept of making its own urea to meet emissions standards. This would be coupled with both the 4 and 6 cylinder cars and might be considered for many markets including the US.

I just remember everyone being hard on the fact the GL420CDI won't make it here, but it seems that by the time it shows up 09/10/11 it will be around the mid life updates and would probably give a good kick in MPG.

I didn't know if this has been discussed as I searched and didn't find it. I've been reading articles on AutoBlog, GreenCars, HybridCars, AutoSpies, etc... and couldn't find anything in more detail on the forums...

I'd give up the 06 Range Rove Supercharged for a GL320 CDI Hybrid getting me close to 30MPG!
Old 05-06-2008, 07:09 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Nice catch!

Again, the comments have me rolling on the floor. In every Diesel discussion someone says that Diesel takes 25% more oil to make. Where did this myth come from? I'm in the oil industry and although heavier crackings will have more btus, there is only so much gasoline you can get out of a bbl, the rest of the distilates fall out where they do.

It reminds me of some German tourist that said I was causing CO2 with my campfire. Dude had no idea the carbon in the wood came from the atmophere in the first place, he thought the fire caused transmutaion!

Too funny.