GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Biodiesel in your GL CDI? These guys have answers...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:58 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Biodiesel in your GL CDI? These guys have answers...

I was entertaining myself while in the kitchen with these two youtube vids about the Cherokee CRD. They are instructive for us in that they are offer insight into the true biodiesel capability of our engines. As I was doing other stuff, I was not able to note the time of these comments, but if you have an interest in the CDIs you might want to throw these up in the background while you surf or whatever, they are pretty long.

First Vid is with a DC VP, says the engine is rated to B20 for the armed forces because they have a standard. He has no doubt that B20 would run fine in it, but there is no approval to B20 because it is not available at retail, concern about a standard...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCea8...eature=related

Second dude is head of diesel sysems for Bosch, says the CRD (CDI) technology on the 3.0 would run any biodiesel, but approval would be pending standardization, and spoilage concerns...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQL3l...eature=related

Hope this helps some of you guys interested in this stuff.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBs
Thank you. Great links.

Here's another one, from the recent opening of a second generation biodiesel plant operated by CHOREN. Their sundiesel has been tested in Mercedes diesels and can be used in unmodified diesels even in pure form, according to info from Daimler presented in the movie. One clip shows a Strich Acht, which is a W114/W115 offered from 1968 to 1972 running on sundiesel. I have heard that Mercedes might even use sundiesel as first fill fuel in the new diesel automobiles leaving the factory.

CHOREN sundiesel plant inauguration
http://www.daimler.com/videocast/en?lang=en&mediaID=008

Mercedes Strich Acht
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66H2_VBK_iQ
Old 05-12-2008, 04:06 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
It is coming finally!!! The technology to make diesel from cellulose matter that is not food related is getting better by the day. OPEC beware!
31MPG, renewable fuel...all is going to be right with the world.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by dgiturbo
It is coming finally!!! The technology to make diesel from cellulose matter that is not food related is getting better by the day. OPEC beware!
Umm .... http://www.efuel100.com/

Comments?
Old 05-12-2008, 06:13 PM

Ethanol is not dense enough in terms of energy, meaning you have to waste lots of energy pulling it around ?('cus you need lots) relative to it's energy potential (low).

However, I could put a self-contained still like that to good, non automotive uses, I'm sure.

Your avitar is nice. I like the teletubbies, too. Your sig? Not so much. I gave up watching the Beverly Hillbillies when it went of the air afterschool in 1980...
Old 05-12-2008, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Brocktoon
Ethanol is not dense enough in terms of energy, meaning you have to waste lots of energy pulling it around ?('cus you need lots) relative to it's energy potential (low).

However, I could put a self-contained still like that to good, non automotive uses, I'm sure.

Your avitar is nice. I like the teletubbies, too. Your sig? Not so much. I gave up watching the Beverly Hillbillies when it went of the air afterschool in 1980...
Brock,

In the website they talk about the seemingly contraditory data on E15-E85 actually improving mileage despite Ethanol's lower power density. I'll reserve judement for "further studies," myself, but I did think it was interesting to decentralize like that. Maybe not for something mobile like a car, but I would love to see decentralized power, as in some sort of fuel cell or similar system for an individual home. I know, pipe dream.

As for the still - why bother, when the Scottish do such a nice job?

And the signature? <full-on redneck mode> Don't y'all dare insult my number three Dale insignia! </full-on redneck mode>
Old 05-12-2008, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by StevethePilot
actually improving mileage despite Ethanol's lower power density.
Researchers come cheap. I even passed "statistics for scientists" in university... meaninig I question everyone else's.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Brocktoon
Researchers come cheap. I even passed "statistics for scientists" in university... meaninig I question everyone else's.
Then you know about "lies, damned lies, and statistics!" Ha!
Old 05-13-2008, 09:12 AM

2008 GL320
I'm using B99 in my 08 GL320. Feels no difference what-so-ever.

Interestingly, it doesn't have the "french fries" smell at all. MB's exhaust filter/trap works too well...

Originally Posted by dgiturbo
Yes! Can't wait for the biomass diesel. Wonder if they would call it "S20", or "S99"...?

Last edited by midnightz; 05-13-2008 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 595 Likes on 504 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by midnightz
I'm using B99 in my 08 GL320. Feels no difference what-so-ever.

Interestingly, it doesn't have the "french fries" smell at all. MB's exhaust filter/trap works too well...

Yes! Can't wait for the biomass diesel. Wonder if they would call it "S20", or "S99"...?

The board would be very interested to hear your results over the time you've been running B99...if you're still around.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:23 AM

2008 GL320
Originally Posted by Max Blast
The board would be very interested to hear your results over the time you've been running B99...if you're still around.
Yes, hi Max,

Our GL has 20,868 miles. We always run B99 but B20 or B5 during the cold seasons, like today (high temp was 28F)... We usually switch over in late October.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 203 Likes on 181 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
If you spend some time looking through the DTBs, etc., at startekinfo.com, you'll find that MBUSA is having dealers get VERY sophisticated equipment to test the fuel they find in diesels. They will know and you can kiss your warranty goodbye as regards any engine problems that can be linked to > B5 biodiesel.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by lkchris
If you spend some time looking through the DTBs, etc., at startekinfo.com, you'll find that MBUSA is having dealers get VERY sophisticated equipment to test the fuel they find in diesels. They will know and you can kiss your warranty goodbye as regards any engine problems that can be linked to > B5 biodiesel.
Lkchris,

Here's a guy who has ~20k on B99. If any problems have arisen, he'd know.

Midnightz,

Have you had any problems attributable to B99 use? No starts, check engine lights?
Have you replaced the fuel filter yet?
Also 20k on an 08 seems low, has the car sat for long periods of time?
How did it run after a prolonged period of non-use?

Thanks,
Max
Old 11-25-2010, 03:03 PM

2008 GL320
Originally Posted by Max Blast
Have you had any problems attributable to B99 use? No starts, check engine lights?
Have you replaced the fuel filter yet?
Also 20k on an 08 seems low, has the car sat for long periods of time?
How did it run after a prolonged period of non-use?
Hi Max,

No problems on B99 (from ASTM certified pump, not home brew) and have not replaced fuel filter, yet. I've only done oil and oil filter change. I have posted the analysis on the oil in my previous posts and will continue to do analysis and post them after each oil change.

This is my wife's car and being a stay at home mom, ferrying the kids to activities is the main usage for our GL. We were out of country for about a year and my brother had the GL during that time and used it a little.

My wife frequently commented that the GL actually runs more smoothly on B99.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:31 PM

gl320 CDI
Going Bio

Hi Max,

No problems on B99 (from ASTM certified pump, not home brew) and have not replaced fuel filter, yet. I've only done oil and oil filter change. I have posted the analysis on the oil in my previous posts and will continue to do analysis and post them after each oil change.

This is my wife's car and being a stay at home mom, ferrying the kids to activities is the main usage for our GL. We were out of country for about a year and my brother had the GL during that time and used it a little.

My wife frequently commented that the GL actually runs more smoothly on B99.

Hello,

I'm considering making a change and going with Biodiesel. My GL320 08'CDI has 47,000 miles on it and I need to be sure my car will run on biodiesel made from used non-hydrogenated vegetable oil that I plan on converting myself, before I invest the money into the conversion system. You are the only person I can find who has run bio in his 08 GL320 CDI and it sounds like I should have no problems doing so if it works for you. When you say "B99", I'm assuming that you mean its 99% biodiesel. Am I correct? Also, I was told that some model vehicles that are 2008 and newer have emission systems that will not allow a diesel run on Bio. Have you had any issues with your emission system?

Thanks, I can use all the info I can get before making this move.

Patrick
Old 01-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Very. Very. Cool.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Originally Posted by pchamoun
Hello,

I'm considering making a change and going with Biodiesel. My GL320 08'CDI has 47,000 miles on it and I need to be sure my car will run on biodiesel made from used non-hydrogenated vegetable oil that I plan on converting myself, before I invest the money into the conversion system. You are the only person I can find who has run bio in his 08 GL320 CDI and it sounds like I should have no problems doing so if it works for you. When you say "B99", I'm assuming that you mean its 99% biodiesel. Am I correct? Also, I was told that some model vehicles that are 2008 and newer have emission systems that will not allow a diesel run on Bio. Have you had any issues with your emission system?

Patrick
PLEASE read Drivbiwire's posts on this subject!! PLEASE
Unless you are a VERY good chemist and have lots of experience making home brew RME I think you should proceed with extreme caution. Not only is handling and using methanol risky but the RME produced rarely (when made by most home brew folks) meets the ASTM specs for biodiesel. Even when the ASTM specs are met, the B100 doesn't have the stability for use at the up to 30,000 psi pressures in the Mercedes commonrail injection system. Injectors and pumps are VERY expensive and just ONE round of replacements will buy tens of thousands of miles worth of fuel!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:27 AM

gl320 CDI
Fourdiesel,

Thank you for the advice. I tried to look up the threads from Drivbiwire's on this subject but could not locate the information. I am very new to this site and not sure how to navigate very well. If you can help me locate this info, I would appreciate it. If I were to make my own B100, I would be using the appropriate testing tools to be sure it meets ASTM standards. Also, before I invest in the system, I would purchase currently made B99 from the following company http://feeceoilfuel.com , to be sure it works on my car.
Any advice is greatly appreciated before I proceed, so as to avoid making the wrong decision.

Gratefully,
Patrick
Old 01-13-2011, 01:38 PM

2008 GL320
Hello,

Patrick
pchamoun,

Our GL is running great and yes B99 is 99% biodiesel. Like Fourdiesel mentioned, I think it's very important to make sure what you put in the tank is ASTM certified. For that reason, I only buy from retail pumps.

Pure biodiesel's cloud point is above the freezing temperature so depending on your region, you may be putting a lot of investment (and your time and energy) into your own system with very little financial return. For us, we use B99 about 1/2 of the year and B20 or B5 rest of the year. So if we had our own conversion system, our return would be 1/2 of someone who lived in a warm climate year round.

What I would suggest is start by using the product first and get an idea on how much dino-diesel vs bio-diesel you actually use. It'll give you a better idea on if it's a good investment.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:46 PM

Fourdiesel,

Thank you for the advice. I tried to look up the threads from Drivbiwire's on this subject but could not locate the information. I am very new to this site and not sure how to navigate very well. If you can help me locate this info, I would appreciate it. If I were to make my own B100, I would be using the appropriate testing tools to be sure it meets ASTM standards. Also, before I invest in the system, I would purchase currently made B99 from the following company http://feeceoilfuel.com , to be sure it works on my car.
Any advice is greatly appreciated before I proceed, so as to avoid making the wrong decision.

Gratefully,
Patrick
Oops! When reading these forums it is easy to forget which is which. I too found no posts by Drivbiwire on this forum but I DID find a bunch on http://www.benzworld.org/forums/gl-class/ try there. He is also active on the TDIClub forums
Old 02-13-2011, 02:33 PM

2008 ML 320 CDI
Will the 2008 ML320 CDI run on B100

pchamoun,

Our GL is running great and yes B99 is 99% biodiesel. Like Fourdiesel mentioned, I think it's very important to make sure what you put in the tank is ASTM certified. For that reason, I only buy from retail pumps.

Pure biodiesel's cloud point is above the freezing temperature so depending on your region, you may be putting a lot of investment (and your time and energy) into your own system with very little financial return. For us, we use B99 about 1/2 of the year and B20 or B5 rest of the year. So if we had our own conversion system, our return would be 1/2 of someone who lived in a warm climate year round.

What I would suggest is start by using the product first and get an idea on how much dino-diesel vs bio-diesel you actually use. It'll give you a better idea on if it's a good investment.

Hey, I have a 2008 ML320 CDI and would like to run b100 but my supplier says I need to make sure that this model doesn't have a Diesel Particulate Filter. Do you know if the 08 ML 320 CDI has a Diesel Particulate Filter and if it does, will it cause me not to be able to run B100? I thought the 2008 ML 320 CDI and the 2008 GL 320 CDI would be the same when it came to engines and exhaust systems. IT sounds like the 2008 GL 320 CDI may not have a problem running on B100. Does it have a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), and is yours still running ok on B99

Thanks for any info on running b100 in the 2008 ML 320 CDI and on the DPF's from anyone....
Old 02-14-2011, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL/ML/R diesels all have DPFs. Sorry dude.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:09 PM

2008 GL320
Originally Posted by cbw71770
my supplier says I need to make sure that this model doesn't have a Diesel Particulate Filter.
Negative. Ask your supplier why biodiesel doesn't work with DPF and see if he/she will give you a backup to that claim. Or, is his/her biodiesel ASTM certified?

Sulfur is what will clog the filter, hence all diesel must be ULSD to work with DPF to lower the emission. Sulfur was used in the refinery to produce petrodiesel in the past. That doesn't apply in biodiesel.

You will find many studies out there with a quick search on the web show that the particulates actually being burned off at a lower temperature when using biodiesel.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:11 PM

2008 ML 320 CDI
Negative. Ask your supplier why biodiesel doesn't work with DPF and see if he/she will give you a backup to that claim. Or, is his/her biodiesel ASTM certified?

Sulfur is what will clog the filter, hence all diesel must be ULSD to work with DPF to lower the emission. Sulfur was used in the refinery to produce petrodiesel in the past. That doesn't apply in biodiesel.

You will find many studies out there with a quick search on the web show that the particulates actually being burned off at a lower temperature when using biodiesel.

My research and multiple phone conversations with several mechanics over the past several days on diesel exhaust systems and mercedes 320 CDI engines seem to agree with you. I don't think b100 will cause any issues with the engine or exhaust in my 2008 ML 320 CDI....

I'm planning on starting with mixture first and increase until I reach full B100 usage I assume you are still using B99 in your 08 GL320 CDI without any modifications to the exhaust system and no problems....is this still correct?

Thanks for all your help
Old 02-14-2011, 08:58 PM

snip

snip
Not quite, Sulfur WILL contaminate most catalytic coatings on the exhaust system components, wherever they are. Sulfur wasn't 'used' in refining, it is simply ALWAYS present in crude oil. Sour crude has more. It simply takes extra steps in refining to remove it.
Biodiesel stock (soy, rape seed, animal fats, palm oil, etc) doesn't have significant amounts of sulfur to worry about.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Biodiesel in your GL CDI? These guys have answers...