Charge phone with car off?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by Newbie_2_MB
The outlet is in the picture...look in the upper left corner. See the round thing that is black? Pop the cover off & that is the outlet.
Bingo. I added the emphasis.
Attached Thumbnails Charge phone with car off?-p1060498.jpg  
Old 01-07-2009, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 GL 450
See...... no outlet

Here is a better pic. As you can see there is no outlet. Just a plastic cover plug.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by vornado
Here is a better pic. As you can see there is no outlet. Just a plastic cover plug.
Oh wow.....what does your dealer say? Look in the manual it should tell you if the outlet should be there or if it is optional.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:23 AM

2009 GL 450
Originally Posted by oknish
Oh wow.....what does your dealer say? Look in the manual it should tell you if the outlet should be there or if it is optional.

The Dealers has no clue on this. But like I said before, they have room temperature IQ's. My owners manual makes no mention of this outlet whatsoever. I found out about it on this forum after a search that I did. I was sure something was missing when I found the cover plug.
You must understand that in Panama it is a little different than in the US. It is not common to order cars with the options you want, you get what ever is on the lot unless you are willing to wait 4-6 month for your car. Even if you are willing to wait, many options like Nav are not available anyway and we pay about 40% to 50% more for the cars. Hell, my GL does not even have the third row seat!!!!!
Old 01-08-2009, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
... they have room temperature IQ's.
Okay, first, I am using that line, that's hysterical. Second, it sounds like you've got a highly optional non-US-style GL. And probably they just don't install the plug for Panama (and who knows who else), possibly it involves whether you've got the third row but that wouldn't necessarily make sense. Not that a lot of stuff MB does makes sense, but still, it's a possibility.

Knowing that we here in the good old USofA have that plug, I wonder if you could aftermarket put one in? The wiring might be right up to the area or at least nearby. Depends on how much you want to mess with it and how important it is to you, si?

STP
Old 01-08-2009, 09:09 AM

2009 GL 450
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Okay, first, I am using that line, that's hysterical. Second, it sounds like you've got a highly optional non-US-style GL. And probably they just don't install the plug for Panama (and who knows who else), possibly it involves whether you've got the third row but that wouldn't necessarily make sense. Not that a lot of stuff MB does makes sense, but still, it's a possibility.

Knowing that we here in the good old USofA have that plug, I wonder if you could aftermarket put one in? The wiring might be right up to the area or at least nearby. Depends on how much you want to mess with it and how important it is to you, si?

STP
I really could use this outlet. I was thinking that if the wires are not there I could hook it up to the outlet in the ashtray. Now, does anybody have a part number for the outlet? I would like to use the OEM MB outlet.

By the way, the 2008 models here with the third row seat did not have this outlet either.

Last edited by vornado; 01-08-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
I really could use this outlet. I was thinking that if the wires are not there I could hook it up to the outlet in the ashtray. Now, does anybody have a part number for the outlet? I would like to use the OEM MB outlet.
I'm sure someone can find you the part number but the problem with hooking it up to the ashtray is that (I believe) that outlet turns off with the key. I'd check it first, anyway!

STP