Any GL-owners with a large (6+) family?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 WRX STI
Originally Posted by Brocktoon
Too much?
No, I wish it had more. I'm the type of driver who uses the gas pedal like an off/on switch (I know, that's not good) and I like the vehicles I drive to have some "get-up-and-go." That's what I find attractive about the 550. I have to admit I've never driven a regular diesel engine before but I'm worried about how the 320 is off the line. Wow, just typing this explanation, I feel silly . But coming from an STI, it's hard to completely eliminate my boy-racer tendencies .
Old 05-29-2008, 04:08 PM

2006 WRX STI
Originally Posted by MomsBenz
A forward facing seat also fits nicely in he third row.
Hmm, that's good to know because it gives me another option. Access seems easy enough, too.

a trip to the grocery store for a family of 5 requires more room.
We're already dividing up our shopping trips (fresh veggies/fruits on one day, milk and the rest on another). Getting the GL might mean breaking it down even more.

The reason why I keep leaning towards the GL as our one vehicle is because:

1. I am the only driver in the family.
2. One vehicle will save on insurance and gas over having 2.
3. The GL offers the comfort, amenities, and capabilities that may make me want to keep it in family for the long term.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:47 PM

C220
Originally Posted by Urabus
No, I wish it had more. I'm the type of driver who uses the gas pedal like an off/on switch (I know, that's not good) and I like the vehicles I drive to have some "get-up-and-go." That's what I find attractive about the 550. I have to admit I've never driven a regular diesel engine before but I'm worried about how the 320 is off the line. Wow, just typing this explanation, I feel silly . But coming from an STI, it's hard to completely eliminate my boy-racer tendencies .
We have one child with plans for a second one soon. We spend our summer weekends at the lake and always seem to have lots to haul up and back with us (strollers, bikes, laundry, etc.). The GL is perfect for that. We can tow the Sea Doos, install a trailer hitch bike rack or haul a utility trailer easily. When we have alot of stuff that doesn't include bikes, we can stuff a fair bit in the back with the rear seats folded flat. I considered an X5, but there is almost no space behind the second row and wouldn't even bother ordering a third row option in that vehicle.

I also considered a mini van because it makes the most sense from a space and flexible use perspective - you really can't beat them, but my wife doesn't want to drive one (she is happy with her Honda Accord) and I don't want to drive one either.

This issue of two carseats in the middle row barring access to the back row is one I hadn't thought of. I apreciate that you can put a rear facing seat in the back row, but it seems like quick access would be a hassle. In addition, the safest place for the kids is in the middle row, not the back of the vehicle (in my opinion).

My hope would be to find a safe and compact forward facing seat for what will then be our 2 year old (by the time the second one arrives) to be placed in the middle position in the second row and place the rear facing baby seat behind the driver. Hopefully this would allow acces to the rear. I'll have to go back to the dealer this weekend to check 3rd row access with out forward facing Britax carseat installed.

If that doesn't work, I wonder how much utility the GL offers to anyone with two children in car seats. Access to the rear row isn't available without removing a car seat??

As for power and the GL320, I found it adequate but not fast, by any stretch of the imagination. If you want fast, you have the option of the 450 or 550. Of course, you have to make a decision on how much gas you are prepared to pay for.

I drive 24,000KM/year (14,000 miles), mostly city. The GL320 I drove last weekend was showing 12.2L/100km (about 22mpg US). That equates to an annual fuel cost of (2,928 litres x 1.35) = $3,452, or $330.00/month.

I have a friend who drives a 3 year old Cadillac Escalade. He tells me his monthly fuel bill (driving similar or fewer miles than me) is $750.00/month. This is a bill I'm not prepared to accept - he isn't either, so he is getting rid of it. Even if you can afford it (which we both can), there is something that seems wrong with shelling out this much money given the environmental issues and where the cost of fuel is going in general.

I wouldn't consider myself a tree hugger and I like a fast car as well as the next guy, but there has to be a limit for me. I guess you have to decide this issue for yourself.

For me the GL320 is the perfect compromise. I get to drive a larger SUV with real interior space, yet it uses less fuel than a Toyota Sienna, and it isn't any slower than a Sienna.

To me, that is having my cake and eating it too!
Old 05-29-2008, 05:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GL450
My hope would be to find a safe and compact forward facing seat for what will then be our 2 year old (by the time the second one arrives) to be placed in the middle position in the second row and place the rear facing baby seat behind the driver. Hopefully this would allow acces to the rear. I'll have to go back to the dealer this weekend to check 3rd row access with out forward facing Britax carseat installed.

I too use the Britax car seats which we both know are kinda bulky. My 3 year old is in the Roundabout and it fits nicely behind the driver. My nephew is in a rear facing infant carrier and when that seat is in the middle, entry to the third row is more difficult because when the seat folds forward is rubs the seat. I don't think you could fit a convertible car seat in the rear facing position next to the forward facing one. Also the carrier does fit behind the driver seat, but you can not put the handle all the way down into the snapped position per the car seats installation instructions. I am also fairly short (5'4") so the seat is farther forward than it would be for a man, and the carrier still doesn't fit right. It is definitely best in the middle. Hope this helps some. I know it is hard to show up at the dealer and try to make all of these car seat trials. They need to make less bulky car seats
Old 05-29-2008, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by grover432
As for power and the GL320, I found it adequate but not fast, by any stretch of the imagination. If you want fast, you have the option of the 450 or 550. Of course, you have to make a decision on how much gas you are prepared to pay for.
We went with the GL320 purely for efficiency, even if the ultimate fuel cost is close to the big gas engines. I don't know how we, as a society, have convinced ourselves that we NEED a three-ton, seven passenger vehicle that can go 0-60 in under 8 seconds. (I'm not sure how we convinced ourselves that we all needed AWD offroad trucks!).

The GL320 offers a nice, firm launch from 0 to 30, and that's where 90 percent of our driving takes place. It's hard to envision car makers backing off from the horsepower race, but I hope that consumers will push them in that direction.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:50 PM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2005 M3, 2006 A3
Originally Posted by Urabus
We're already dividing up our shopping trips (fresh veggies/fruits on one day, milk and the rest on another). Getting the GL might mean breaking it down even more.

The reason why I keep leaning towards the GL as our one vehicle is because:

1. I am the only driver in the family.
2. One vehicle will save on insurance and gas over having 2.
3. The GL offers the comfort, amenities, and capabilities that may make me want to keep it in family for the long term.
One of the things we do often is split the back row if we need to seat six passengers but carry a big load back from the grocery. You can carry a remarkable amount of stuff by doing it that way.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:51 AM

C220
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
We went with the GL320 purely for efficiency, even if the ultimate fuel cost is close to the big gas engines. I don't know how we, as a society, have convinced ourselves that we NEED a three-ton, seven passenger vehicle that can go 0-60 in under 8 seconds. (I'm not sure how we convinced ourselves that we all needed AWD offroad trucks!).

The GL320 offers a nice, firm launch from 0 to 30, and that's where 90 percent of our driving takes place. It's hard to envision car makers backing off from the horsepower race, but I hope that consumers will push them in that direction.
I agree. I was an inch away from a 2008 M5 that gets 10 mpg (City) if you drive it like a grandmother and backed away. There was something that bothered me about filling up twice a week to drive to and from work, in addition to the cost. That was back in February and the dealer still has the car in the showroom.

A friend of mine in Minneapolis just picked up a 535xi. He can afford any car on the lot but chose the 535 over the M5 for the same reason. The dealer is lamenting the fact that he has several M5's on the lot, but that buyers are starting to feel like social pariahs for driving such a thirsty vehicle, especially since it can't really be driven to anywhere near it's potential on our roads.

If I had to chooses between the ML320 and the upcoming X5d, I think I'd take the X5d. It has more HP and Torque than the ML320 and is quicker to 60 without the lag. It does all this with 1 mpg better fuel mileage.

My dealer says 80% of the SUV's going out their door are diesels. I can see why.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:54 AM

C220

I too use the Britax car seats which we both know are kinda bulky. My 3 year old is in the Roundabout and it fits nicely behind the driver. My nephew is in a rear facing infant carrier and when that seat is in the middle, entry to the third row is more difficult because when the seat folds forward is rubs the seat. I don't think you could fit a convertible car seat in the rear facing position next to the forward facing one. Also the carrier does fit behind the driver seat, but you can not put the handle all the way down into the snapped position per the car seats installation instructions. I am also fairly short (5'4") so the seat is farther forward than it would be for a man, and the carrier still doesn't fit right. It is definitely best in the middle. Hope this helps some. I know it is hard to show up at the dealer and try to make all of these car seat trials. They need to make less bulky car seats
Thanks for your post. Now I've got to tale 2 cars seats to the dealership! Actually I think I'll take the GL home for the weekend and play with the seat installation. I need to be able to install two car seats and still be able to access the 3rd row for this vehicle to work for us. Otherwise and ML or X5 diesel is the way to go (for us).
Old 05-30-2008, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
I agree. I was an inch away from a 2008 M5 that gets 10 mpg (City) if you drive it like a grandmother and backed away. There was something that bothered me about filling up twice a week to drive to and from work, in addition to the cost. That was back in February and the dealer still has the car in the showroom.

A friend of mine in Minneapolis just picked up a 535xi. He can afford any car on the lot but chose the 535 over the M5 for the same reason. The dealer is lamenting the fact that he has several M5's on the lot, but that buyers are starting to feel like social pariahs for driving such a thirsty vehicle, especially since it can't really be driven to anywhere near it's potential on our roads.

If I had to chooses between the ML320 and the upcoming X5d, I think I'd take the X5d. It has more HP and Torque than the ML320 and is quicker to 60 without the lag. It does all this with 1 mpg better fuel mileage.

My dealer says 80% of the SUV's going out their door are diesels. I can see why.
My daily driver is a 2002 C32 AMG. For a small, four-door, it gets horrendous gas mileage (15-18 mpg US). When it's in for service, the dealer gives me a lower-end C-class, and for my daily commute (Washington DC traffic), the base car is all I need. My next daily driver will be MUCH more efficient.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GL450
Thanks for your post. Now I've got to tale 2 cars seats to the dealership! Actually I think I'll take the GL home for the weekend and play with the seat installation. I need to be able to install two car seats and still be able to access the 3rd row for this vehicle to work for us. Otherwise and ML or X5 diesel is the way to go (for us).
Your welcome! Good luck, I hope you are able to fit them. The GL is a beautiful car and I absolutely love mine (problems and all)