Rear seat config. of GL550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Rear seat config. of GL550

Do the seats fold flat or up at the side? When up do they rob luggage space?

When they are down, is there sufficient luggage space and how is the legroom in the third row?

I considered the X5 4.8i but the rear seats there are only fit for kids. I plonked down a deposit on the '09 allotment of LX570s but the dealership have not exactly overly impressed me so I feel no obligation to go through with the deal if something better goes along.

Before anyone says I should go look for myself, I have plans to but am hard at work this week and would prefer real-world feedback before I take a time-consuming trip to the stealers.

Thanks in advance gents.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
Do the seats fold flat or up at the side? When up do they rob luggage space?

When they are down, is there sufficient luggage space and how is the legroom in the third row?

I considered the X5 4.8i but the rear seats there are only fit for kids. I plonked down a deposit on the '09 allotment of LX570s but the dealership have not exactly overly impressed me so I feel no obligation to go through with the deal if something better goes along.

Before anyone says I should go look for myself, I have plans to but am hard at work this week and would prefer real-world feedback before I take a time-consuming trip to the stealers.

Thanks in advance gents.
A full size adult can comfortably sit in the third row seats. When the third row seats are up, there is not too much 'luggage space' left. Enough for several grocery bags, soft small luggage bags, but no room for anything big.

However, the third row seats fold seperately so that you can fold one down, and have one up for seating purposes. This markedly increases the available loading area, as long as what you want to load isn't too wide of course.

They fold flat, electrically, into the floor leaving a very large, flat load space behind the second row of seats.

Before you buy any of the other vehicles you're currently thinking of, you owe it to yourself to drive a GL; it's a great vehicle.

Bish
Old 06-03-2008, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by thebishman
A full size adult can comfortably sit in the third row seats. When the third row seats are up, there is not too much 'luggage space' left. Enough for several grocery bags, soft small luggage bags, but no room for anything big.

However, the third row seats fold seperately so that you can fold one down, and have one up for seating purposes. This markedly increases the available loading area, as long as what you want to load isn't too wide of course.

They fold flat, electrically, into the floor leaving a very large, flat load space behind the second row of seats.

Before you buy any of the other vehicles you're currently thinking of, you owe it to yourself to drive a GL; it's a great vehicle.

Bish
Thank you for the thorough response, Bish. I have every intention of going to check out the GL. So far I have only heard good things.

Just one point of clarification- when the seats are folded away under the floor where do they go? Do they encroach into the available luggage space ie. make it less tall?
Old 06-03-2008, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
The back of all the seats, when folded down, are at the same level as the storage area floor behind the third row. Under the storage area floor is the well for the spare tire...good for hiding small items.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 GL 320CDI
If you go to the web site mbusa.com, you can access your vehicle of choice, and it should show you pics, including the interior with views of the seats up or down.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
Thank you for the thorough response, Bish. I have every intention of going to check out the GL. So far I have only heard good things.

Just one point of clarification- when the seats are folded away under the floor where do they go? Do they encroach into the available luggage space ie. make it less tall?
As others have mentioned, the seats backs actually fold down into the footwells so that the load floor is completely flat from the backs of the front seats all the way to the rear with the second and third row seats folded down. Lots of room to haul stuff that way.

BTW: love the '08 M5. I have an '06 loaded with 14K miles on it; great car.

Bish
Old 06-03-2008, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
I am pretty sure you won't be disappointed with the 3rd row seting of GL, Carl. I know we saw it one time and we were sold. I hated the way Lexus 3rd row seats fold to the side thus eating room in the back. GL's 3rd row design is amazing and power operation of 3rd row seats make it even more appealing.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by thebishman
As others have mentioned, the seats backs actually fold down into the footwells so that the load floor is completely flat from the backs of the front seats all the way to the rear with the second and third row seats folded down. Lots of room to haul stuff that way.

BTW: love the '08 M5. I have an '06 loaded with 14K miles on it; great car.

Bish
I'm really loving this sedan. Glad you feel the same way. I'm envious of your mileage though- I'm just about to hit 10,000miles since buying it in January.

Nish- Yeah, the rear seat deign in the LX is curious to say the least. I really appreciate everyones responses and I'll keep you updated. It's funny but I'd all but decided on the LX as my deposit proved but now it gets closer to the 09 allotment's arrival I'm just not so sure.