Transmission Action - Downshifting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by Comfy_Couch
You've been fortunate enough not to have this issue, but with all due respect that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And from what my dealer tells me, they are well aware of the issue, and are frustrated by it, too. I don't know how many others have experienced it, but I for one would welcome a fix (even the magical adaptation-over-time variety). True, "woes" may be a bit overstated, but shouldn't a transmission should really blend into the driving experience rather than calling attention to itself?
I really didn't say "it doesn't exist." I had major problems with my S430 and the 7 speed transmission, and I mean slamming downshifts. However, the S550 was perfect after a flash and the GL has not shown any problems whatsoever.

All I am saying is that user after user has found that the problem disappears after a period of time and does adapt to your specific driving habits. Give it some time. You could also be unfortunate and have a malfunctioning component that needs attention. Stay on it with the dealer until you are satisfied.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:14 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I really didn't say "it doesn't exist." I had major problems with my S430 and the 7 speed transmission, and I mean slamming downshifts. However, the S550 was perfect after a flash and the GL has not shown any problems whatsoever.

All I am saying is that user after user has found that the problem disappears after a period of time and does adapt to your specific driving habits. Give it some time. You could also be unfortunate and have a malfunctioning component that needs attention. Stay on it with the dealer until you are satisfied.
Thanks. It's going back to the dealer later this week to address this and a faulty homelink unit. We'll see...
Old 06-11-2008, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by Comfy_Couch
Thanks. It's going back to the dealer later this week to address this and a faulty homelink unit. We'll see...

Can you tell us what's the problem with your 'Homelink'?

I have programmed the 'Homelink' 2 different times in our new CDI, and it will still only open the garage door about one in three times. It will close it every time that the door is open however. It simply acts like the 'signal' that the 'Homelink' is producing is just very weak.

Bish
Old 06-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Banned

2008 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by thebishman
Can you tell us what's the problem with your 'Homelink'?

I have programmed the 'Homelink' 2 different times in our new CDI, and it will still only open the garage door about one in three times. It will close it every time that the door is open however. It simply acts like the 'signal' that the 'Homelink' is producing is just very weak.

Bish
If you have the 3 zone a/c, as I do, it means you have the infrared coating on the glass, which greatly reduces the range of the transmitter's signal. I have to be basically right in front of the door for it to open. That could be your issue, though I would think if the unit is working it should work every time at the same distance. So you might have a faulty unit, too.

Despite the poor range, mine was working fine after I initially programmed it but started acting up a few weeks ago. I would push the button for right door, BOTH garage doors would suddenly go up and after that the unit won't open or close the left door at all, and then would only work on the right door intermittently. I've reprogrammed it several times, with the GL right under the opener with all the windows and sunroof open, following the instructions exactly (i.e., clearing out the unit memory, using the "learn" button for the rolling codes, etc.), and each time it seems to work perfectly on both doors until the next day, when the same thing happens again.

The dealer, who must encounter a lot of folks either unable or unwilling to program these things correctly, offered to send out a "concierge" to assist with the programming process, but I'm 100% sure I've done it correctly each time and that the problem is with the homelink transmitter. The regular garage door opener works fine from inside the vehicle, and the homelink in my wife's van has never had any issues.

I'll let you know what they say.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by thebishman
I have programmed the 'Homelink' 2 different times in our new CDI, and it will still only open the garage door about one in three times. It will close it every time that the door is open however. It simply acts like the 'signal' that the 'Homelink' is producing is just very weak
First, I don't have three-zone A/C. Second, my garages point towards my neighbor's house and not the street. Third, I just replaced the one garage's lift system with a brand new one. But with my remotes and in my Lexus, just hitting the button sends a signal to the garage door to open. With my "Homelink" in the Mercedes, I have to push and hold the button for about a second or so to get the garage to respond. This is in the street (if I'm lined up with the garage window and the opener I can get it to go from there, any vehicle or remote) and right in front of the garage, opening or closing.

Just my two bits' worth.

STP
Old 06-11-2008, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 GL320cdi
I have the IR glass in my 320. I have to be right up against the door for it to open. My wife's Lexus will open from half way down the street. My previous Volvo would operate from a long way away also. I thought it was just my car. I will talk to the dealer on my next service visit since others are having the same issue.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:28 PM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
I also think it's the IR glass. Mine only works directly in front of the garage door. I also have to be near my gate where my Silverado will open it from 100+ yards. All the others we have owned worked from a good distance away.