GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Tow Hitch Recall - VERY IMPORTANT IF YOU ARE TOWING!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 320CDI
GL is the perfect tow vehicle

The GL does have a full subframe and is very capable of towing up to its rated limit of 7.500 lbs I actually tow an 8,500 lb boat & trailer with no problem. The GL does have a full subframe. I traded in a 2006 Ford F250 Super Duty King Ranch diesel for the GL. The GL is a much better tow vehicle in some respects. For example, it has an anti-sway system built into the electronic stability system. Not that you should ever tow an un-balanced trailer, but we have seven trailers, and stuff happens. I have towed some ridiculous stuff with the gL, and never felt like it was too much to handle. Just this weekend we got the boat trailer wheels off the end of a boat ramp (couldn't see the end in murky water), into mud. The GL pulled it out without a problem. Bystanders are always amazed at the GL's pulling power at boat ramps. Here's a picture of one of the rigs I tow.
Attached Thumbnails Tow Hitch Recall - VERY IMPORTANT IF YOU ARE TOWING!!!!!-gl-tow.jpg  
Old 07-19-2008, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1982 300Dt, 2021GLE53, 2013 GLK250, 2009 Smart Cabrio
Been using same Dealer and service for 20 years with very few issues. Just picked it up for trailer hitch recall fix and continuing hard downshifts on tranny.
Tranny still an issue and sublet work by certified welder looks professionally done, but I already see rust on welds...obviuosly didn't prime and paint it well. But worst part is he used flat black paint instead of satin finish as is used under the truck.
Another trip back to the dealer
Old 07-27-2008, 12:10 PM

E320 & GL450
Dealer in Santa Barbara had work perfromed by certified welder who I talked to at length. (I know something about welding). He knew his stuff and understood the fault he was correcting. The TB calls for the level of certification by the welder who is to perform the work. Ask to see it and the cert of the welder if you have doubts.
The problem with the original factory hitch is the length of the bead welds on the receiver to the hitch frame, which are inadequate per the original design from the vendor. This may lead to torquing of the reciever around these welds which have led to some failures hence the recall. The dealer had located the welder's truck just outside the service bay and he did a very creditable job. It was repainted and preserved after the job. (and they washed the car and it looked spotless!) Regardless if you tow or not, I would have this work done. It is a definite safety hazard if the hitch is used for any class III loads by you or a subsequent owner.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by N'AWLINS
But worst part is he used flat black paint instead of satin finish as is used under the truck.
Another trip back to the dealer
Verify they use the paint specified by Mercedes part number in the recall instructions.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'16 S550, '03 & '15 GMC Sierra 1500, '17 C300
Had trailer hitch recall done by MB body shop - 4.2 hours charged to warranty. All work done in house by MB certified welder - according to SW. Paint appears to match original underbody.
Old 06-17-2021, 01:44 PM

2008 GL320 CDI
I am looking to install factory hitch on my 2008 GL320 CDI in order to tow my airstream excella 1000 32' which comes in at 6500lbs and 700lb tongue weight. I tried to order a hitch from Mercedes dealer and they said it was not available. I have found ones on EBAY, but have come across the recall notes and need for reinforcement. Can anyone tell me if the recalled hitch is a different design than this below hitch or if it was just the addition of the welded reinforcements? I am wondering if I could get an original hitch and take to my local welding shop and have them do the necessary reinforcement? If so can someone provide some specs, drawings, photos or other details I would need to give to welder? I also have a question about the arms that go into the frame on the first picture as I am told this fits my vehicle. I have also seen square versions, what are those for? In the second picture posted I was told that would fit too. I see the hitch has a different design that looks stronger. That one comes with the squared frame inserts. Unfortunately it does not come with the foam around it and I think that would be an issue fitting into my bumper. Please if someone can provide some guidance it would be much appreciated as seems to be quite the journey trying to get this right.