GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Tech question for those with brake controllers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 10:57 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Exclamation Tech question for those with brake controllers

Did you run a self-resetting circuit breaker between the 30 amp feed on the X58/28 connector and the controller as suggested by Tekonsha and MB?

Does the body of the circuit breaker have to be grounded (ie screwed into the body, or is plastic ok), or is it just an in-line affair?
Old 06-18-2008, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by Brocktoon
Did you run a self-resetting circuit breaker between the 30 amp feed on the X58/28 connector and the controller as suggested by Tekonsha and MB?
The circuit breaker is actually removable just like a fuse. Use a 30 AMP breaker for 3-4 axle applications and a 20 AMP self resetting breaker for 1-2 axle applications. If going with the 20 AMP, get a 12 Volt, Type I (auto reset) 20 AMP breaker.

I wish I could take credit for the above explanation, but alas, it is from my education with the great Danno 4x4.

Originally Posted by Brocktoon
Does the body of the circuit breaker have to be grounded (ie screwed into the body, or is plastic ok), or is it just an in-line affair?
No idea, but I'm sure Danno will chime in to help.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:49 PM

Like a fuse? The ones I have on my land Rover are little boxes screwed to the firewall. Are you saying you can put something in place of the original 30a fuse? That would be cool.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
I created a wiring harness to go between the vehicle connector and the Brake Controller Connector and I did use a self-resetting circuit breaker on the Power wire as the instructions indicated...

Most AutoParts stores have a pretty good selection of circuit breakers in different configurations and what I decided to use was an ATC type footprint Type I self resetting circuit breaker, since it fits nicely in an ATC fuse holder.

Check out this web page and you can see exactly what I used :

http://www.cooperet.com/6/BladeFusesandAccessories.html

Basically what I did was I used a HHG ATC Holder inline with the Power Wire and removed the rubber cap (since it is too big to fit over the breaker)

and then I simply bought a ACB-20 ATC Style Breaker and plugged it right in to the Fuse Holder...

Nice Clean and Easy... Use a 30 AMP breaker for 3-4 axle applications and a 20 AMP self resetting breaker for 1-2 axle applications.

I would leave the original 30 AMP fuse alone and just wire in the supplemental circuit breaker.
Attached Thumbnails Tech question for those with brake controllers-fuse-holder.jpg   Tech question for those with brake controllers-circuit-breaker.jpg  
Old 06-19-2008, 02:59 PM

Thanks, oddly enough I just came back from the store with those two exact same items. But the fuse holder looks a bit cheap, once I got it home. Why not just put the fuse across two insulated female blade crimps? Looks like I could make it more solid that way, and stay with only one wire guage.