GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

A mojito killed my car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2008 | 04:33 AM
Almost a Member!

2007 SL550 2008 GL550
A mojito killed my car

I had a tupperware jug of mojitos in the passenger seat footwell that tipped over when I made a turn and the top popped open. Heard "glug glug glug," pulled over and of course, a gallon of mojitos gone in a flash. After that, the car just died. The wipers went on and two of the windows went down like the car was possessed. Got it started again and pulled into the parking lot of our club. The car died again when we were about to leave for home. Wouldn't start and there were random things wrong: rear drivers side door would not open, the rear passenger window stuck half down, right front headlight stays on and will not turn off, release parking brake msg even though the parking brake is not engaged, top off coolant msg and the red battery alert. It's been towed to the dealer. DH is convinced I have some sort of jinx when it comes to cars.
Old 07-13-2008 | 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by shoozlover
I had a tupperware jug of mojitos in the passenger seat footwell that tipped over when I made a turn and the top popped open. Heard "glug glug glug," pulled over and of course, a gallon of mojitos gone in a flash. After that, the car just died. The wipers went on and two of the windows went down like the car was possessed. Got it started again and pulled into the parking lot of our club. The car died again when we were about to leave for home. Wouldn't start and there were random things wrong: rear drivers side door would not open, the rear passenger window stuck half down, right front headlight stays on and will not turn off, release parking brake msg even though the parking brake is not engaged, top off coolant msg and the red battery alert. It's been towed to the dealer. DH is convinced I have some sort of jinx when it comes to cars.
I don't know what "mojitos" is but it sounds to me like this stuff ought to be in a lead container with black X's.

It obviously leaked into some of the cables or connectors somewhere and is causing havoc for you and the GL. I hope the dealer can isolate the problem and return your GL to normal. I would suggest the tech wear a Hazmat suit...:-)
Old 07-13-2008 | 11:23 AM

2008 C350
A mojito is a rum-based drink with mint and lime...quite good actually.

As NJ said, it obviously leaked into something to fry the wiring and then resulting in those problems. I wouldn't worry too much, the dealer won't have a hard time repairing it once it dries up.
Old 07-13-2008 | 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I don't know what "mojitos" is but it sounds to me like this stuff ought to be in a lead container with black X's.
NJ,

Be sure to leave the Mojitos in Vegas on your upcoming trip to CO. I promise, you won't be able to keep them up right on I-70.
Old 07-13-2008 | 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
NJ,

Be sure to leave the Mojitos in Vegas on your upcoming trip to CO. I promise, you won't be able to keep them up right on I-70.
The SL has ABC so the return should be no worry... zooooom!

When I lived i Hawaii the drink was Akolihow (?) Punch and I can remember (well my wife used to tell me about it the next morning) it really had a punch!

We took the sunset trimaran cruise quite often with guests and everybody wondered how they got so smashed so early... you never had an empty glass.
Old 07-13-2008 | 12:00 PM

GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
This is your ECU.

This is your ECU on Cuban Rum.

Get the Picture?
Old 07-13-2008 | 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
I think your battery may have had more then it's share of "mojitos" since the battery is located below front passenger seat. Wish you all the best.
Old 07-17-2008 | 11:43 AM
Almost a Member!

2007 SL550 2008 GL550
Update on the "lemonade" claim

The dealer said the control unit and battery have to be replaced. Estimated cost $1800 but fortunately the insurance company will cover it so we're just out the deductible. DH is still not happy with me but I told him at least I wasn't driving his SL.
Old 07-17-2008 | 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
The dealer said the control unit and battery have to be replaced. Estimated cost $1800 but fortunately the insurance company will cover it so we're just out the deductible. DH is still not happy with me but I told him at least I wasn't driving his SL.
That settles it! If you can mix a mojito that will kill a GL, you're the bartender at my next party. Period.
Old 07-17-2008 | 07:43 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 SL550 2008 GL550
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
That settles it! If you can mix a mojito that will kill a GL, you're the bartender at my next party. Period.
Anytime! Did I see something about a meet on Maui? We could have a GL party on the Superferry.

But I think my mojito days are over. I have since moved on...to lychee martinis. And all containers will be hermetically sealed before transport.
Old 07-17-2008 | 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Anytime! Did I see something about a meet on Maui? We could have a GL party on the Superferry.

But I think my mojito days are over. I have since moved on...to lychee martinis. And all containers will be hermetically sealed before transport.
Superferry? Oh, yeah, the inter-island. For half a second I thought there was an LA-Waikiki ferry that would bring the car along. I bet a bundle the state would hate THAT!

STP

PS Who cares what you're mixing, as long as you're mixing!
Old 07-17-2008 | 10:47 PM

GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Sorry guys, but you would have to hold that party somewhere other than the States, 'cus you just have not had a Mojito, unless you have had one made with Havana Club, the original!