GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Just got my GL550, a few minor questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2008 | 06:48 PM

2008 GL 550
Just got my GL550, a few minor questions

This is an awesome vehicle. I'm very impressed with how it handles on the road, very comparable if not better than the Audi A8L we traded on it.

I'll post pics (white) after I Zaino it in the next few days.

Two concerns:

1) we couldn't get the ipod to display as per the instructions on the COMAND screen, although it did in the multifunction computer. It wasn't the vehicle's problem, same issue with 2 other GL's on the lot. We couldn't figure it out.

2) the resonance of the exhaust at idle is pretty intense. I'm sure the exhaust is tuned to sound mean, but wow, it's pretty loud in the cabin. Touch the gas, its gone. I wonder if this is normal, or something that should be checked?

Anyone have any suggestions on those?

Thanks,

John
Old 08-07-2008 | 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Dakota,

Glad you like the new GL and we look forward to the pics when you get the puppy all cleaned up, nice-n-neat.

As for the iPod, it won't display anything on the COMMAND screen. It's just a nice, big, ugly blue screen when you play music from your iPod. Once we have the music started, we typically switch the COMMAND screen to the MAP function.

As for the exhaust, I haven't noticed what you are experiencing in our 550. The cabin is super quiet, unless of course I really stomp on the gas and then that low growl that I love to hear comes throughly quite nicely. I have never heard anything at idle, so I'd get it checked out and compare to the other 550's on the lot.

Enjoy!
Old 08-07-2008 | 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Enjoy your new GL> its a great vehicle.
Old 08-08-2008 | 07:56 AM

2008 GL 550
Well, I finally looked through the iPod manual, and I guess it does only display on the multifunction computer. In my defense here's why I thought differently:
1) I had a salesman at a dealer tell me the "iPod displays right there" pointing at Command screen
2) the manager yesterday was trying his darndest to get it to display there as well
3) it only seemed intuitive to me that it would

I'm off to play with it to see how userfriendly it is or isn't.

John
Old 08-08-2008 | 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by Dakota GL
Well, I finally looked through the iPod manual, and I guess it does only display on the multifunction computer. In my defense here's why I thought differently:
1) I had a salesman at a dealer tell me the "iPod displays right there" pointing at Command screen
2) the manager yesterday was trying his darndest to get it to display there as well

John
Don't feel bad John. Most of us here have thought the same thing. It's just amazing that MB sales people and sales managers expect the same thing as us. You'd think they would know better by now since they are into their 3rd model year.
Old 08-08-2008 | 02:35 PM
Banned

2008 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by Dakota GL

John
IMHO it's not very user friendly. You get the distinct feeling that the iPod "integration" was a temporary bandaid to rush this to market as a marketable feature. I'll be very curious to hear, once the '09's start rolling in, whether and how the iPod experience has improved.