GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Airmatic Malfuntion Message

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 06:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GL450
Airmatic Malfuntion Message

Ok just got one of these while picking my kids up from school. Joy! My question is my dealer is over 2 hours away, can I drive it there or should I have it towed? The manual says 50 mph max. That should be fun on a freeway, LOL! Any, just wanted your opinions. Thanks!!
Old 09-18-2008, 06:32 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
You have such rotten luck. If it is stuck "high" I would take it easy, if the ride height seems low or normal, and handling seems ok, I would drive it at traffic speeds. Most lowering kits just trick airmatic anyway, so I don't see how that would be different.

Actually, I would just claim a no-start condidtion and have MB pay for a flatbed.....
Old 09-18-2008, 06:46 PM

2011 GL450
Originally Posted by Brocktoon
You have such rotten luck. If it is stuck "high" I would take it easy, if the ride height seems low or normal, and handling seems ok, I would drive it at traffic speeds. Most lowering kits just trick airmatic anyway, so I don't see how that would be different.

Actually, I would just claim a no-start condidtion and have MB pay for a flatbed.....

I like your way of thinking. It "was" in the normal position until I just did the stupid thing of trying to raise it to see if the system worked and now it is stuck high. Don't I just have the best luck ever! I put a call in to my SA but have not heard back. Guess it will have to wait until tomorrow.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GL 450
My SA told me there was a recall on the airmatic compressor, but another member here on the board said it was a TSB. Whatever it is, they'll fix it. You do, however, seem to have the worst luck!
Old 09-19-2008, 12:29 AM

2011 GL450
LOL, thanks Jen! I read your thread about the recall/TSB. I am hoping to get it there sometime tomorrow. I need to figure out something to turn my luck around! I lemon lawed the car before this one. I think cars hate me!
Old 09-19-2008, 11:23 PM

2011 GL450
Well it went to the dealership today on a flat bed. The recall/TSB did not show on my vin#, but that doesn't matter. There is a problem and it is still under warranty. I doubt I will hear much until Monday. In the meantime, they gave me a fairly new C300 to drive.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:18 AM
Almost a Member!

08 MB GL 320CDI, 07 MB S550, 02 Porsche Cabriolet, 98 MB 450SL, 64 Citreon 2CV
I got the same message and had to have the pump replaced. With all the trouble they are having with the airmatic systems, I hope that they have found the problem as I don't want to pay for it out of warranty. The pump went out on my old S430 and ruined the struts---the bill $4000.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
It's a good thing it was flatbedded. You first get an preliminary message and you think you can get somewhere but then there is the "do not drive...car is too low" warning and the car has dropped over the front tires.

When is MB going to get it right? They have had airmatic problems for years now. My 04 E55 collapsed at 20k miles.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Dreamin'

How does one know when he is spending too much time on this forum? When you start dreaming about it.

I had a dream last night (that I totally forgot about until reading this thread today) that while on a biz trip in Atlanta (yes... it was that specific) I was able to rent a GL450 from Hertz. While stuck in rush hour traffic, I got the dreaded "Airmatic Malfunction" message. I started looking for MomsBenz cell # so I could call her to see what I should do. I don't even know who MomsBenz is in real life, let alone her cell #, but in my dream, I knew she was the one to call.

I think that must be why I woke up with a headache this morning... I was so upset in my dream!

So, it's been nice knowing you all, but I've got to go away for awhile.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:21 PM
MKW

08 GL450
Originally Posted by ima55r2
It's a good thing it was flatbedded. You first get an preliminary message and you think you can get somewhere but then there is the "do not drive...car is too low" warning and the car has dropped over the front tires.

When is MB going to get it right? They have had airmatic problems for years now. My 04 E55 collapsed at 20k miles.
Bunch of early GLs did the dreaded sudden " camel kneel down " at the front end which was supposed to have been solved with redesigned/revalved Airmatic compressor in later '07 model production , which is why I waited for an '08. But with all the noise mine are making, I wonder what they will find at my next service.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:30 PM

2011 GL450
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
How does one know when he is spending too much time on this forum? When you start dreaming about it.

I had a dream last night (that I totally forgot about until reading this thread today) that while on a biz trip in Atlanta (yes... it was that specific) I was able to rent a GL450 from Hertz. While stuck in rush hour traffic, I got the dreaded "Airmatic Malfunction" message. I started looking for MomsBenz cell # so I could call her to see what I should do. I don't even know who MomsBenz is in real life, let alone her cell #, but in my dream, I knew she was the one to call.

I think that must be why I woke up with a headache this morning... I was so upset in my dream!

So, it's been nice knowing you all, but I've got to go away for awhile.
As I read your post I started laughing and had to explain to my hubby what was so funny. If something is going to happen to the GL it WILL happen to mine. I am truly convinced of this now

MKW-Mine never made any noise than the regular ones everyone talks about with the airmatic. The one thing that does come to mind now, that makes sense is when we were coming back from our road trip to Montana, we were driving and I got the message "vehicle being lowered" with the appropriate icon. Well I never raised it. I thought maybe the button got bumped and I didn't notice, but thought it was weird to see that message. So I think that was the start of this "malfunction"

ima55r2-That is scary. I knew there was no way I was going to be able to drive 56 miles on the freeway to my dealership. Once I called them they told me not to drive it at all. I am hoping it was caught before any other damage was done. It was still sitting normal, if not a little high from me pushing the button to see if it was really malfuntioning

stlduckhunter-I agree, I hope they figure it out soon. My husband I just had the discussion about keeping it past warranty because of all the issues we have had. The sad thing is I really, really love my car. Time will tell.

I also brought up the pulley recall so hopefully that will get done too.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:55 PM

2011 GL450
Just got a call that it is ready for pick up. They replaced the AirMatic compressor and updated the software for the rear hatch (it was rubbing) so now I am trying to get them to replace all the plastic along the top and bottom part of the tailgate. I shouldn't have to push this hard, they are the ones that caused it to out of alignment in the first place. Waiting to hear back from the SM.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Glad to hear your compressor has been fixed. Hopefully, this will be the last of your troubles!

You don't know how happy I was when I arrived in Atlanta today and Hertz rented me an Infiniti FX. If they had given me keys to a GL, I might have keeled over.

By the way, the Infiniti looks like fun, but it isn't. It's underpowered, understeers, has a horrible command unit, and you have to stomp on the brakes to stop. If lkchris doesn't like the GL's brakes, he'd absolutely hate the Infiniti's. Oh, one more gripe... my clubs don't fit in the cargo area without putting down the second row.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:04 AM

2014 GL 450
Glad to hear your compressor has been fixed. Hopefully, this will be the last of your troubles!

You don't know how happy I was when I arrived in Atlanta today and Hertz rented me an Infiniti FX. If they had given me keys to a GL, I might have keeled over.

By the way, the Infiniti looks like fun, but it isn't. It's underpowered, understeers, has a horrible command unit, and you have to stomp on the brakes to stop. If lkchris doesn't like the GL's brakes, he'd absolutely hate the Infiniti's. Oh, one more gripe... my clubs don't fit in the cargo area without putting down the second row.
I've always loved the looks of the FX but have never driven one. A friend of mine rented one & didn't like it as much as her Lexus and said it had a terrible blind spot off the rear quarter pannel.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:12 AM

2011 GL450

LOL, glad you didn't get the GL That would of been really strange if you had. I have never really cared for the styling of the Infiniti. A friend of ours husband drives one and she says she hates it.

Well, I got the GL back and everything seems to be working the way it should and they replaced all the plastic along the edge of the lift gate and the chrome piece.

But, my bad luck continues....on my way home I got pulled over my the CHP for no front license plate! Guess I will be going back to MB and having that installed in the next week. How exactly do they install it? Is it screwed right to the bumper?
Old 09-23-2008, 10:20 AM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Isn't your husband with the fire brigade? I mean, would he not know that you need a front plate? Just say'n...

And yes, they do just screw a holder to the car. It should have been in the car when you bought it. It's easy to do yourself, no need for dlr. visit...
Old 09-23-2008, 11:03 AM

2011 GL450
Yes, we knew the law. But it also suppose to be a secondary offense. (ie, they are not suppose to pull you over just for no plate, gotta nail you for something else first) Anyway, I have no bracket just a due bill from MB that reads "install front plate". I know shame on me for not having it done already.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by MomsBenz
How exactly do they install it? Is it screwed right to the bumper?
You are right... they screw it directly to the bumper.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:34 AM

2011 GL450
You are right... they screw it directly to the bumper.
That's a bummer. Hope they put it on straight
Old 09-23-2008, 01:18 PM

2014 GL 450
Yes, we knew the law. But it also suppose to be a secondary offense. (ie, they are not suppose to pull you over just for no plate, gotta nail you for something else first) Anyway, I have no bracket just a due bill from MB that reads "install front plate". I know shame on me for not having it done already.
They are really cracking down in California about this. My niece got pulled over for no front plate (she did have the plate in the vehicle, but still got a "fix it" ticket). I know several people who parked at LAX and had a ticket waiting for them upon return from their trip because of no front plate.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Please be sure to update your avatar so we know the front plate was installed.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by Newbie_2_MB
I know several people who parked at LAX and had a ticket waiting for them upon return from their trip because of no front plate.

Add me to this list of yours, Jen
Old 09-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Banned

2008 GL 320 CDI
If not being straight, or being slightly off-center, would be the kind of thing that would bug you (as it would me), I would recommend either watching them install it or doing it yourself. Once they make the holes in the bumper, they're there for good.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:37 PM

2011 GL450
Jen, wow they really are cracking down. I understand the reasonings, but some cars just look better without them I had the plate with me as well, didn't matter. I will definitely have it put on.

Jim, will do Need a new pic anyways

Nish, that is a bummer. Hopefully it was just a fix it like mine.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:15 PM

2011 GL450
Originally Posted by Brocktoon
Isn't your husband with the fire brigade? I mean, would he not know that you need a front plate? Just say'n...

And yes, they do just screw a holder to the car. It should have been in the car when you bought it. It's easy to do yourself, no need for dlr. visit...
Ok I am embarrassed to admit this, but I just found my bracket I have never paid much attention to the spare tire area. Now, did you just use small screws? Can I used doubled sided tape (like the kind they use to put side molding on?) I hate drilling into the bumper

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Airmatic Malfuntion Message