GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Air Compressor recall -

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2008 | 04:18 PM

'16 528i MSport
Air Compressor recall -

So Im going this Tuesday for a compressor recall. Anyone else take care of it and what I need to know, if anything?
Old 09-25-2008 | 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
There is an open campaign on V belt pulley replacement. Not sure if your car needs it or not but have them run the VIN to be sure.
Old 09-25-2008 | 05:33 PM

GL450 (Alabaster White/Black Interior)
I was in for service (oil change/tire rotation) yesterday and was told neither the Airmatic or the V-Belt Guide Pulley bulletins applied to my GL. I am a little confused in that most people seem to have needed this procedure performed. My build date was March, 2007 and if I remember right Jen's was January, 2007 and someone else had a build date in June or July, 2007 and both issues applied to them. It would seem to me that since my GL was built between those two dates that both "recalls" would apply to mine but was told that they do not. In any regard they did do the I-Pod amplifier thing which actually makes a big difference. The bulletin that they gave me was a little different than the one posted. The bulletin number they gave me was T-B-82.85/845. I keep complaining about the air coniditioning being noisy but they keep telling me that it is normal............
Old 09-25-2008 | 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
The air conditioning compressor pulley document is NOT a Recall NOR a Campaign.

It's simply a DTB (dealer technical bulletin) and it's applicable to all models, all model years.

BUT, there has to actually be a noise condition and you have to complain about it.

For the Airmatic compressor, the dealer indeed checks VMI to determine if your vehicle is applicable, as they know which version of compressor is installed.

Again, for the DTB, there has to actually be a noise and there is no checking anywhere to see if it's "applicable" or not. But, they're not going to replace the pulley just for fun. It has to be noisy compressor (caused by pulley) not just "noisy air conditioning."

DTB number is S-B-83.55/87c

Last edited by lkchris; 09-25-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-25-2008 | 07:13 PM

Maybe I wasn't clear. I had the DTB number in hand for both the pulley and the one for the noisy air conditioner compressor and complained directly about the air conditioner compressor/pulley and was still told no. This is my second such complaint for the same issue although this time I had an additional DTB to throw in for the guide pulley. Sorry DaCeptak0n for the digression on this thread. To answer your question though if you have the Ipod kit make sure to get that performed in addition to the Airmatic and pulley work...........
Old 09-26-2008 | 01:43 PM

2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
Bean,

I think the way that Service Campaigns or DTBs work is that it is left to the stealer's discretion as to whether any repair or replacement is completed.

Recalls are mandates from the factory whereas Service Campaigns or DTBs are simply suggestions.

So it sounds like your stealer has chosen to go the minimal route. Seeing as how I think that there is only one stealer in Vegas, perhaps they have chosen their route knowing that your options are limited since there is not another stealer across town who is doing better.
Old 09-26-2008 | 07:56 PM

Danno,

I completely agree with your assessment. The worst part is that I paid at least $2,000 more than I had to by buying my GL at the local dealership so that I did not have these kinds of issues. Oh well, I guess I learned my lesson. Next time SoCal here I come...............
Old 09-27-2008 | 01:48 PM

2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by lkchris
The air conditioning compressor pulley document is NOT a Recall NOR a Campaign.

It's simply a DTB (dealer technical bulletin) and it's applicable to all models, all model years.

BUT, there has to actually be a noise condition and you have to complain about it.
I received an e-mail from my dealership about the pulley issue; I never said a word to them about any noise. They contacted me & arranged for me to bring it in for the fix.
Old 09-29-2008 | 12:09 AM

2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
Originally Posted by Newbie_2_MB
I received an e-mail from my dealership about the pulley issue; I never said a word to them about any noise. They contacted me & arranged for me to bring it in for the fix.
Yep, that is how I heard from my dealership as well... Same with the Airmatic compressor... Both are voluntary campaigns, but my dealer has chose to participate.

Bean, sounds like you may want to sit down with the service department director and/or the owner and let him know your expectations if they expect to earn your business in the future. It would be a shame for them to loose a future customer over something that they would get compensated from the factory for (and likely compensated more than it actually takes to make the fix in the first place)
Old 09-29-2008 | 06:45 AM

2014 GL 350 blue tec
[QUOTE=Danno4x4;3077044]Yep, that is how I heard from my dealership as well... Same with the Airmatic compressor... Both are voluntary campaigns, but my dealer has chose to participate.

did your stealer send you a letter regarding airconditioner pulley because they make money doing warranty work? Airmatic compressor is infact a recall so thye have to do it.. not sure why they sent you letter for air conditioner pulley.
Old 09-29-2008 | 10:40 AM

2011 GL450
BeanCounter-My feelings is it doesn't really matter when or where you purchased the car. Mine was bought in SoCal with a manufactured date of Jan. 2008. My VIN# did NOT show either recall/TSB/campaign (whatever they are calling it) and my AirMatic compressor did go out after only 6 months of owning the car. My pulley is noisy as well and I am trying to get them to fix that one as well even though it is not showing up on my VIN.
Old 09-29-2008 | 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by BeanCounter
Next time SoCal here I come...............
Say when
Old 10-02-2008 | 05:10 PM

'16 528i MSport
Something was adjusted with the airmatic system and pulley was changed. That is what my father told me when he went to pick it up this afternoon.
Old 10-09-2008 | 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
My turn..........took the GL to have the wiper blades replaced and they said I was on the "list" for compressor issues. Sooooo.......they replaced it and all is well. Although.........I never had any issues with it. They said that, actually, there were few, if any, failures for vehicles equipped with the "off-road" package.........hmmmm
Old 10-11-2008 | 07:48 PM

2013 ML350
Air Compressor recall

I live in Pennsylvania, I was in Orlando on vacation, rear tire was losing air, tire pressure indicator on.....drove to M-B of South Orlando. Took me right in (less than ten minutes) in addition to fixing the tire, they performed the guide pulley campaign and the compressor campaign. Great service department, GL was ready in about an hour....
Old 12-09-2008 | 02:40 PM

2008 GL 550
Sadly, looks like I am following MomsBenz' footsteps with her first GL. Just a week after getting car back from a transmission transplant, my suspension gave out. Symptoms included loud compressor (noise coming from front right), malfunction signal, inability to operate suspension controls (comfort, normal, sport and raise up did not work), and intermittent "compressor cooling" message. The compressor finally gave up trying and car went into low rider mode (da da da da da - da da - da dum dum; low ri-der, get a little lo-wer). Drive to dealer was made with sloppy and harsh suspension.

Service rep was surprised to see me for this issue as she had checked and there was no recall on 2008s for compressor or suspension components. Should there be!?

<sigh>
Attached Thumbnails Air Compressor recall --imag0404.jpg  
Old 12-09-2008 | 06:32 PM

2011 GL450
Originally Posted by slim nicky
Sadly, looks like I am following MomsBenz' footsteps with her first GL. Just a week after getting car back from a transmission transplant, my suspension gave out. Symptoms included loud compressor (noise coming from front right), malfunction signal, inability to operate suspension controls (comfort, normal, sport and raise up did not work), and intermittent "compressor cooling" message. The compressor finally gave up trying and car went into low rider mode (da da da da da - da da - da dum dum; low ri-der, get a little lo-wer). Drive to dealer was made with sloppy and harsh suspension.

Service rep was surprised to see me for this issue as she had checked and there was no recall on 2008s for compressor or suspension components. Should there be!?

<sigh>
I am so sorry! I know all to well how disheartening this is. I got that same message when my compressor pooped out. I was lucky though, mine got stuck in the "high" position. I hope they fix it and get it back to you quickly!
Old 12-10-2008 | 01:55 PM

2008 GL 550
Thanks MomsBenz. It's definitely a bummer.

Anyway, got the car back. As suspected it was a bad compressor which was replaced. Given that failure was same as the ones that have been recalled, dealer expressed surprise that '08s were not also recalled and even wondered whether MB have their serial numbers confused. In any case seems like compressor problems are on-going and not limited to recall vehicles. Try to get yours replaced before it goes.
Old 12-10-2008 | 03:03 PM
MKW

08 GL450
My service advisor says MBZs is frustrated trying to get a reliable compressor maker in the US. But they gotta support some US suppliers to appease the politicians who expect something in return for all the tax advantaged freebies these foreign makers get to build their assembly plants in the union-free South !
Old 12-12-2008 | 01:12 AM

2008 GL 550
We can't even put reliable compressors together... Sad decline of US manufacturing. That auto bail out better have some conditions to get manufacturers back on track as well as hold them accountable.
Old 12-12-2008 | 07:13 AM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
Originally Posted by slim nicky
We can't even put reliable compressors together... Sad decline of US manufacturing. That auto bail out better have some conditions to get manufacturers back on track as well as hold them accountable.
That's usually what happens when you take the lowest bidder.