GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Ordered an '09 bluetec!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 11:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'97 E320
Ordered an '09 bluetec!

After trying to find a well-equipped used GL320 in the right color for almost a year, we can finally get them new in California...so I went ahead and ordered one.

'09 GL320 Bluetec - $58,200
-arctic while
-cashmere leather
-premium 2 - $8650
-full leather seating pkg - $2130
-appearance package - $1200
-ADS - $750
-trailer hitch - $530
-dest. - $875

Total MSRP - $72335 (damn!)

Production is scheduled for beginning of November, and car should arrive by mid-December. This is officially the first vehicle we have ever "bought" without even a test drive!
Old 09-29-2008, 12:12 AM

2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
Cool Beans!!! It was the same situation for us when I bought our 2007... I drove the ML320 diesel and drove the GL450 to try to figure out what the vehicle would "feel" like, but the one that I actually drove was mine after I had already paid for it!

Enjoy!
Old 09-29-2008, 03:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by stickygreen
After trying to find a well-equipped used GL320 in the right color for almost a year, we can finally get them new in California...so I went ahead and ordered one.

-arctic while
-cashmere leather
-premium 2 - $8650
-ADS - $750
-trailer hitch - $530
-dest. - $875

Production is scheduled for beginning of November, and car should arrive by mid-December. This is officially the first vehicle we have ever "bought" without even a test drive!

Mercedes is counting on many, many others like you to follow suite. What is the price for diesel in your area? Where is it relative to premium unleaded?

M
Old 09-29-2008, 04:31 AM

'97 E320
Diesel is about 25 cents higher than premium, but I expect that to decrease in the future. And with the amount of miles we put on cars, the diesel suits our needs better.

I have driven plenty of ML's and GL's (used to be in MB sales), but never any vehicles with the new diesel v6. I just hope the v6 proves to be as durable as the inline-6 in our e320 cdi (currently at 90k miles w/o a glitch). The GL will be a replacement for our 235k mile e320, which will remain in the family as a spare vehicle.

Glad we waited for the '09 because you can finally get ADS on the diesel, but not particularly thrilled about the mandatory run-flat tires. Also wish they hadn't discontinued Jade Green metallic.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Raj, welcome to the GL family my fellow Desi. You will love the Bluetec, and even moreso the GL. We put about 400 miles a week on our GL.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:33 AM

'97 E320
Thanks! I only wish we could order it with ventilated front seats as on our CDI. I did shoot an email out to MBUSA asking if this option could be "special ordered" onto this vehicle since the GL550 has this option and they are on the same assembly line, but dont expect much help. Hopefully they'll surprise me.

We are a rare breed...most Indians stray towards the Japanese makes
Old 09-29-2008, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
I did shoot an email out to MBUSA asking if this option could be "special ordered" onto this vehicle since the GL550 has this option and they are on the same assembly line, but dont expect much help. Hopefully they'll surprise me.

A) I imagine all the "glitches" have been worked out (or most of them at least) in the new V6.

B) Don't hold yer breath for MBUSA to respond in any way other than "despite the huge number of requests that we offer xxxxx for sale, our marketing people tell us we know better than the consumer so we just don't offer it."

Cograts on the new kerosene burner!

STP
Old 09-29-2008, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Welcome aboard, bhai You will enjoy it but make sure to post some pics as soon as you get it.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:33 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Wow. I was just going to make a post last week about why so many Indians seem to have GLs. Now we have Sticky, Nish, Patel in TX, someone else I'm missing (Prassad? IIRC) just as regulars on the board here, and I have seen several piloted by Indian guys, as the OP said, they are usually in an acura or toyota... just an observation. Interesting demographic blip.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by Brocktoon
Wow. I was just going to make a post last week about why so many Indians seem to have GLs. Now we have Sticky, Nish, Patel in TX, someone else I'm missing (Prassad? IIRC) just as regulars on the board here, and I have seen several piloted by Indian guys, as the OP said, they are usually in an acura or toyota... just an observation. Interesting demographic blip.
Your observation would be correct. Many Indians seem to buy Toy/lex and Honda/Acura products simply because they are cheaper, according to my own observations.

Having owned quite a few Honda/Acura products since the 90's which were my teen years, I simply have moved on as I feel their product offerings are too bland for me. Having 3 girls now, I want the safety and security of a MBZ given their fine reputation, and the solidity of the overall vehicle. At the end of the dayits just a better engineered vehicle.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:41 AM

G35 and Nissan Armada
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Raj, welcome to the GL family my fellow Desi. You will love the Bluetec, and even moreso the GL. We put about 400 miles a week on our GL.
hello MB Fanatic and Raj, my fellow desi, i joined in GL family last week, with 09 GL450
from "GOD'S OWN COUNTRY"
Old 09-30-2008, 01:45 AM

G35 and Nissan Armada
Originally Posted by Brocktoon
I was not happy with my Local Infiniti then I moved into MB
Old 09-30-2008, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by 4u4me
I was not happy with my Local Infiniti then I moved into MB
Welcome. You gujurati?
Old 09-30-2008, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL450, 2006 Porsche 911, 2004 VROD
congrats man. Post the pics after getting your beast.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:13 PM

G35 and Nissan Armada
Welcome. You gujurati?
No, Kerala

Mallu

Last edited by 4u4me; 09-30-2008 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:23 PM

G35 and Nissan Armada
I was at www.freshalloy.com there was no Indians at all.
at MBWORLD it seems too many of them
Old 09-30-2008, 09:12 PM

2013 Land Cruiser, 2007 GL450 [SOLD], 2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x4 Limited, 2009 Corolla LE
Your observation would be correct. Many Indians seem to buy Toy/lex and Honda/Acura products simply because they are cheaper, according to my own observations.

Another Desi GL owner. Very few of them on the Road. Welcome to the GL forum to both, MB Fanatic and Raj.

Regards,
Kamal Atwal
Old 10-01-2008, 01:38 PM

E55
Originally Posted by Germancar1
Mercedes is counting on many, many others like you to follow suite. What is the price for diesel in your area? Where is it relative to premium unleaded?

M
Diesel will always cost less than gasoline due to its efficiency. Get educated on the increased mileage of diesels by doing a side to side comparison at:

www.fueleconomy.gov plug in your own fuel costs and mileage and customize your driving habbits and you will see even if diesel costs 1 dollar more its still cheaper to own than gas engine.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by TV550
Diesel will always cost less than gasoline due to its efficiency. Get educated on the increased mileage of diesels by doing a side to side comparison at:

www.fueleconomy.gov plug in your own fuel costs and mileage and customize your driving habbits and you will see even if diesel costs 1 dollar more its still cheaper to own than gas engine.
We already know this.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:24 PM

GL
Originally Posted by TV550

Well said. You're preaching to the choir, but it doesn't hurt to reinforce the point from time to time. Diesel is cheaper to make and has a higher energy "density" than gasoline as well as a more efficient engine design. For regular driving, it's not necessary the 20-30% more efficient that you suggest, but every car buyer should at least compare the net cost and emissions per mile and not assume that gas is "cheaper."
Old 10-07-2008, 11:00 PM

GL

-arctic while
-cashmere leather
-premium 2 - $8650
-ADS - $750
-trailer hitch - $530
-dest. - $875

You need to go back to the dealer and get the correct price. I know the local dealers are starting with this $58,200 number, but the Web site continues to report $54,275 (as of 10/6/08.) Also, you should also get an explanation of what you get for the $750 for ADS.

I've asked two local dealers and they have not yet figured out answers to any of my questions. I'm working with different sales guy at a different dealer and I'm optimistic he'll bother to figure out why the mbusa Web site shows Distronic, but it's not on their internal system. I'm also keen to order the 550 seats and to understand which options are "late availability" for the diesel in CA like the "appearance package" or when the facelift car will show its face.

Subjectively, in the current economy (bleak and bleaker for months and perhaps years to come) car dealers are looking at a global winter along with most of the auto industry. If they can sell a car, it's a lucky day. I don't say that with glee or malice, it's just the state of the market and we all have to deal with the situation and the consequences. All car makers are down (except maybe Subaru, I've read) and some of the import makers are 50% down on monthly sales year over year.

This is a buyer's market and there's nothing noble or decent about paying too much -- the dealers do not return the gesture when the tables are turned (though to be fair, I work with a great Porsche dealer where the policy is to remain at MSRP and never gouge, but they're in Florida and as far away from the California market as it gets!) I'm not suggested you engage in bare knuckle ruthless grinding. I don't begrudge anyone a fair profit and a good business, but now is a time when the buyer has leverage and money is short.

Sites like edmunds.com have invoice pricing (invoice is about $4,000 below MSRP for the GL) and option invoice numbers (right about 7%) so I'd start about $1000 below invoice for a typical car.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2009/merc...8&y=7&action=1

I'm about to order a GL320 in CA myself, so I know it's not as easy as you'd reasonably expect. : )
Old 10-07-2008, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
The lower price on the MBUSA website is for a 2008 GL320CDI not a 2009 GL320 bluetec that might account for the price difference. Also when you currently build a GL ML or R diesel on the website you are building a 2008 model not a 2009 model with 2008 pricing and equipment. Only the GL450 and 550 are 2009 models with correct pricing and options.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:15 AM

GL
Originally Posted by dieseldoc
The lower price on the MBUSA website is for a 2008 GL320CDI not a 2009 GL320 bluetec that might account for the price difference. Also when you currently build a GL ML or R diesel on the website you are building a 2008 model not a 2009 model with 2008 pricing and equipment. Only the GL450 and 550 are 2009 models with correct pricing and options.
I see what you mean. Thanks. This doesn't explain why the Edmunds.com data is yet another number -- 56,750 MSRP and 52,778 invoice -- but the model year is the start.

I reading about "BlueTEC" then the MBUSA page offered to "build" but did a switcheroo back to the 08 "CDI" car. Great. I should have been more alert. At least the diesel engine car is not at a premium to the "equivalent" gas engine model.

The local dealer said as of September, the price is $58,200. If MBUSA can't keep the current information and pricing on their Web site, what's the point in providing misleading and outdated numbers?

I'm still unclear on what ADS does on the BlueTEC car. It's on the 450, but not shown on the 320 "build" page, yet it's on the dealer's internal system for the 320 ... where's the emoticon for "dizzy" ... ... no, not really, but getting there ...

ps. The more I look at the "old" 450 with multi-contour seats, off-road package, distronic ... and secondary market price ... it starts to make sense. I won't get the mileage or bio-diesel or range between fill-ups of the 320 and I'll have to go shopping to find one with the options I want, but hey, aside from the smaller wing mirrors, what's changed? Quality? What's the factory extended warranty cost?
Old 10-08-2008, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by ymmv
If MBUSA can't keep the current information and pricing on their Web site, what's the point in providing misleading and outdated numbers?
Welcome to the forum, my friend. I see that you have chosen to keep the "flame" alive on one of the pet subjects (how much does mbusa.com stink) around here

For the difference between 08 and 09 do a forum search and you will find the juicy details. There are quite a few, such as, upgraded electronics, discontinued Distronic, etc.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:02 AM

GL
Originally Posted by oknish
Welcome to the forum, my friend. I see that you have chosen to keep the "flame" alive on one of the pet subjects (how much does mbusa.com stink) around here

For the difference between 08 and 09 do a forum search and you will find the juicy details. There are quite a few, such as, upgraded electronics, discontinued Distronic, etc.
Hi. Thanks for the welcome. I've been "lurking" around various MB sites ever since first hints of the GL surfaced. I was close to buying a 450 (with the options I've mentioned) only a combination of loathsome dealers and a lucky deal meant I bought a Cayenne Turbo (with factory "Power Kit" ... so a 520hp Porsche was just a tad more "compelling" than a first model year Benz built in the USA.)

With the purse strings now behaving more like a Boa Constrictor, I'm hoping to find a GL320, but I keep looking back at the much more appealing options on the early 450's.

I have looked at the various '09 posts, but for the most part, aside from some nice stuff, the mirrors, the cool DVD and screen redesign, etc., it's not compelling and doesn't justify the price delta, so it's down to the diesel being the one killer feature for me (just the greater range on a single tank is appealing ... but the ****-tank urea technology is a bit of a negative and surely one of those things that we'll look back on like the early unleaded cars ... )

There's also news of Ford bringing forward their pick-up (which signals their move to diesels in due course) and GM is ahead of Ford on diesels. Porsche said they'll have a hybrid diesel. Lots of options. But for here and now, the GL320 BlueTEC is nicely timed for my winter ski trips if I can find a deal.

Cheers,

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ordered an '09 bluetec!