GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

You guessed it, DEAD BATTERY AGAIN!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ML 500
Originally Posted by MomsBenz
Thank you. I just checked the tracking numbers and everyone has their letters The clock is officially ticking (tick,tick,tick)
i've been following this thread for awhile now. and the question i have for you is, in the letters you have sent ... are you just sending in a letter requesting a buy back? or are you sending in an clearly outlined timeline showing the problems you have had? news articles showing the time frame of the wildfires would help a bit in the "life or death" situation.

also, has your gl ever been in the shop for more than 30 consectutive days? reason i ask is back in hawaii i had to lemon a range rover with less than 5000 miles. and besides the numerous break downs in that time, what really helped was that the car was in the shop for more than 30 days.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GL450
Originally Posted by vinceching
i've been following this thread for awhile now. and the question i have for you is, in the letters you have sent ... are you just sending in a letter requesting a buy back? or are you sending in an clearly outlined timeline showing the problems you have had? news articles showing the time frame of the wildfires would help a bit in the "life or death" situation.

also, has your gl ever been in the shop for more than 30 consectutive days? reason i ask is back in hawaii i had to lemon a range rover with less than 5000 miles. and besides the numerous break downs in that time, what really helped was that the car was in the shop for more than 30 days.
In letter I requested/demanded they buy back the car or replace it with a new one. I attached all the RO's from the dealerships along with a timeline I had made on my computer. I did not put the wild fires in the time line itself but they can see by date that the break down do coincide with the wild fires. The California Lemon Law states 30 NON consecutive days in the shop and I have had 27. The longest consecutive days has been 10. I will try and see if I can dig up some archived news articles and print them with regards to the fires! Thanks for your help
Old 11-05-2008, 03:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
The California Lemon Law states 30 NON consecutive days in the shop and I have had 27.
Maybe this is why they were such {insert your favorite derogatory comment here} when they demanded you pick your vehicle up or they'd charge you for the loaner?

Good luck, hope they decide to do the right thing here.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:33 AM

2011 GL450
Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
Maybe this is why they were such {insert your favorite derogatory comment here} when they demanded you pick your vehicle up or they'd charge you for the loaner?

Good luck, hope they decide to do the right thing here.
More and likely. Although I am not giving them much credit in being smart enough to know how many days it has been there. When I talked to the MBUSA Rep and told him he seemed (or pretended) to be surprised it had been in the shop that many days. I am tired of dealing with morons.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:54 PM

GLK350, GL320CDI
These morons want to make you give up.
This is normal strategy of some dealers.
Do not give up.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:07 PM

2011 GL450
Originally Posted by B200Turbo
These morons want to make you give up.
This is normal strategy of some dealers.
Do not give up.
I am not giving up I can be pretty strong headed when I want to be I will give them until next week to contact me, then I will call back the attorney I spoke with and let him take over.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
FWIW, this past week, the battery in my 2002 C32 AMG was dying whenever the car sat for more than a full day. The forum here (C32/C55) had the answer instantly. Power seat module gone bad. Very common and predictable. It'll cost me $300 for the part, but I have a temporary work-around for now. (Unplug the seat.)

With modern cars, low voltage does some crazy things. At the very extreme, your key will not even work. But I had once morning when the transmission didn't "boot up" properly and ran in "safe" mode (3rd gear).

You would think that MB has a vast database of common car problems, but on at least THREE occasions, the forum at this site diagnosed my issues when the dealership could not.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:50 PM

2011 GL450
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
FWIW, this past week, the battery in my 2002 C32 AMG was dying whenever the car sat for more than a full day. The forum here (C32/C55) had the answer instantly. Power seat module gone bad. Very common and predictable. It'll cost me $300 for the part, but I have a temporary work-around for now. (Unplug the seat.)

With modern cars, low voltage does some crazy things. At the very extreme, your key will not even work. But I had once morning when the transmission didn't "boot up" properly and ran in "safe" mode (3rd gear).

You would think that MB has a vast database of common car problems, but on at least THREE occasions, the forum at this site diagnosed my issues when the dealership could not.
Wow, who would of thought the power seats could drain the battery, they should be more fool proof than that. Cars are so computerized these days that is can almost be 1000 different things. The good news is MBUSA declared mine a lemon and are buying it back!

I am glad to hear you were able to figure yours out. Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't happen to you again!
Old 11-10-2008, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Wow, who would of thought the power seats could drain the battery, they should be more fool proof than that. Cars are so computerized these days that is can almost be 1000 different things. The good news is MBUSA declared mine a lemon and are buying it back!

I am glad to hear you were able to figure yours out. Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't happen to you again!
As always, it's a luxury feature! Because you might need to move your seat back before getting in the car, that feature is "hot" even when the car is turned off with the key out. So, if the control switch goes bad, it draws current nonstop, with the car off. The disappointment to me is how poor dealerships are at diagnosing.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:52 PM

2011 GL450
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
As always, it's a luxury feature! Because you might need to move your seat back before getting in the car, that feature is "hot" even when the car is turned off with the key out. So, if the control switch goes bad, it draws current nonstop, with the car off. The disappointment to me is how poor dealerships are at diagnosing.
I hear that. And they expect us to be patient why they try and figure it out
Old 11-10-2008, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels

my 2004 Acura TL had a faulty drivers door memory module. This would drain the battery and pretty much leave it dead in its tracks. It took Acura engineers 2 weeks to figure it out. After that more people started experiencing the same issue and a new part was made.

Kaila, did you get anything in writing yet from MBUSA?
Old 11-11-2008, 12:05 AM

2011 GL450
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
my 2004 Acura TL had a faulty drivers door memory module. This would drain the battery and pretty much leave it dead in its tracks. It took Acura engineers 2 weeks to figure it out. After that more people started experiencing the same issue and a new part was made.

Kaila, did you get anything in writing yet from MBUSA?
I got a letter stating they received my "concern" and it was going to be handled locally.

I got a call from ISG today and they will be emailing over the offer this week. If I agree and sign it I will have my check in two weeks.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
I got a letter stating they received my "concern" and it was going to be handled locally.

I got a call from ISG today and they will be emailing over the offer this week. If I agree and sign it I will have my check in two weeks.
Sweet.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:59 PM

1999 210 4matic / 2011 W204 C300 sport
Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
Sounds like MB Fanatic is willing to help a fellow forum friend (FFF?), thanks for doing that MB!

I like to give some subtle but blunt hints as to your expectations. I think it works much better than arguing.

Here's an example. Go to the dealership and bring your 2nd set of keys. Ask for the set they have from the service manager and then take your keychains and other keys off both sets of keys in front of them. Hand the two MB keys to him.

Your behavior will undoubtably cause them to look puzzled, and likely they'll say something to get you to say more. When they do, I'd leave them with the zinger. I'd say "I have made up my mind that I don't feel safe in that car anymore and I'm not ever driving it again. The only thing left is for the dealership and MBUSA to decide how they want to handle it", and give them your phone number and walk out.

Trust me, they will get the point with just that little bit of conversation. From there it will give the dealership time to come up with a solution and call you with their answer.
it doent work , there are smarter manager
Old 04-05-2009, 09:44 PM

2011 GL450
Originally Posted by maninblack
it doent work , there are smarter manager
Actually it did work, been sporting on '09 since December
Old 03-29-2010, 07:33 PM

GL 330
My 2007 GL 320 CDI has now died again for the 6th time! Luckily we have 3 cars and they keep coming and replacing the battery.

John
Old 03-29-2010, 08:39 PM

2011 GL450
Originally Posted by Ding
My 2007 GL 320 CDI has now died again for the 6th time! Luckily we have 3 cars and they keep coming and replacing the battery.

John
Keep all your paperwork and call roadside everytime it is dead so you have documentation. There is nothing worse than driving a lemon
Old 10-01-2011, 04:27 AM

Honda
When this huge diesel SUV is getting 23mpg cruising up and down SoCal’s freeways and the USAToday-Healey review of the Jag XF Supercharged averaged 13mpg, something is really messed up. Even though diesel is more expensive and is erasing the cost savings of the better mileage and the higher up-front costs to purchase, that is a lot less CO2 and pollution compared to the gas-burner. Get the diesel and live with the feeling that you’ve just started a huge train moving forward with all of that torque.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:13 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by calemonlaw
When this huge diesel SUV is getting 23mpg cruising up and down SoCal’s freeways and the USAToday-Healey review of the Jag XF Supercharged averaged 13mpg, something is really messed up. Even though diesel is more expensive and is erasing the cost savings of the better mileage and the higher up-front costs to purchase, that is a lot less CO2 and pollution compared to the gas-burner. Get the diesel and live with the feeling that you’ve just started a huge train moving forward with all of that torque.
A CSX Rail employee. Glad you enjoy your diesel.