Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 06:40 PM
orn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL450 PE
Rainsensor problem

Hi all,

Has anyone experienced problems with the rainsensor ? I find it a bit too lazy to start the wipers after starting the car and the windshield is completely wet.

Also when driving and the wiper stick is set to intense I find the interval between wipes too long.

I asked the dealer to reset the sensor last time I had the car serviced but no change.

Any ideas on what is going on ?

Thanks, Orn
Old 11-24-2008, 10:12 PM
Banned

2008 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by orn
Hi all,

Has anyone experienced problems with the rainsensor ? I find it a bit too lazy to start the wipers after starting the car and the windshield is completely wet.

Also when driving and the wiper stick is set to intense I find the interval between wipes too long.

I asked the dealer to reset the sensor last time I had the car serviced but no change.

Any ideas on what is going on ?

Thanks, Orn
I have never been entirely satisfied with the sensor's performance, either. Most of the time it works okay, but often it doesn't clear the windshield when I feel it should, or the wipers are going when there doesn't seem to be a need. I had the same issue in my Audi, which used the same technology.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:30 PM

2008 GL450 / 1999 ML320
Originally Posted by Comfy_Couch
I have never been entirely satisfied with the sensor's performance, either. Most of the time it works okay, but often it doesn't clear the windshield when I feel it should, or the wipers are going when there doesn't seem to be a need. I had the same issue in my Audi, which used the same technology.
I must admit that I'm not completely thrilled with the rain-sensing wiper performance. This is the first vehicle that I have owned with this feature, so I can't compare - I find that it seems to work sometimes - wipers often delay coming on with rain on the windshield and sometimes do no come on at all, making it necessary to manually activate the wipers.

I have not expressed any concerns with the dealer service dept about it yet. Interested to hear experiences of others and if dealer can effectively adjust.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Glad this is one thing, those of us in LA LA land, don't have to worry about
Old 11-25-2008, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
I have found you need to wake it up when you start the car. If the windshield is already wet when you start, you have to get it going by doing a quick manual wipe, then it seems to wake up and do fine.

I also don't think it's perfect, but I still love the feature. I don't like windshield wipers wiping more than they have to and it seems to do a decent job.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:11 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by oknish
Glad this is one thing, those of us in LA LA land, don't have to worry about
You have flood and mudslide warnings for tomorrow, so here is your chance to try them . When are you going to be in Fresno again?
Old 11-25-2008, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by LEOSOPHIE
You have flood and mudslide warnings for tomorrow, so here is your chance to try them . When are you going to be in Fresno again?
Driving to Vegas tomorrow so will be missing the floods and mudslides

We might do Fresno again around XMas or New Year. Not sure though since kids want to go to Disneyland for XMas. I will let you know when we do head that way. Any plans for you to head south?
Old 12-18-2010, 01:45 AM

Porsche 911
So, now that we have some rain in SoCal I am getting a chance to use the rain-sensing wipers and am finding that they are hyper-active. Even with light misting on the windshield they are going like mad trying to clear the window.

When I could use a 4-5 second interval, they are going at 1 second. This is in the first position. Is there a way to fix this? Right now I find myself turning them on and off manually which is a nuisance.

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
There is definitely something wrong with your sensors. I don't have any of the issues you guys/gals are describing. The wipers pretty much work as you would expect on my GL. I would maybe wait a little longer to turn them on if I was manually operating them but that is being really picky.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 QX56 (formerly '11 GL350)
Originally Posted by vntgspd
So, now that we have some rain in SoCal I am getting a chance to use the rain-sensing wipers and am finding that they are hyper-active. Even with light misting on the windshield they are going like mad trying to clear the window.

When I could use a 4-5 second interval, they are going at 1 second. This is in the first position. Is there a way to fix this? Right now I find myself turning them on and off manually which is a nuisance.

Thanks.
I am in SoCal too..and we've been getting heavy mist type rain the last day or so and I agree...on the automatic settings, sometimes it seems they are going like mad when really, just a swipe here and there would work. Then they will stop for a bit...and then its back to going like crazy for 3-4 swipes.

Doesn't bother me but is something I noticed. We don't get too many chances to use our wipers here, that's for sure!

Tam