GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

MBUSA delayed our order...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 12:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'97 E320
MBUSA delayed our order...

thanks to slowed production and they had to "wait" until the train filled up to send our special ordered arctic white/cashmere GL320, and now it isn't going to make it on time! I can't seem to express how unbelievably pissed off I am because the site keeps censoring my words!

At this point, I just hope my dealer is able to trade for the only other vehicle in the western region that fits the bill, even though it has more equipment and will cost nearly $3k more.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GL450
Originally Posted by stickygreen
thanks to slowed production and they had to "wait" until the train filled up to send our special ordered arctic white/cashmere GL320, and now it isn't going to make it on time! I can't seem to express how unbelievably pissed off I am because the site keeps censoring my words!

At this point, I just hope my dealer is able to trade for the only other vehicle in the western region that fits the bill, even though it has more equipment and will cost nearly $3k more.
I am so sorry. I can kinda relate. We did not order ours from the factory, but we have been searching for a particular color combo as well to no avail. Well they finally found it after two weeks and it has been transported with a delivery date of today. Well, it's not here. So frustrating! And yes, we ended up paying almost $3000 more as well. Hang in there!
Old 12-12-2008, 01:02 AM

'97 E320
Guess I forgot to mention in the 1st post that this GL is a surprise B-Day present for a family member, hence the deadline. Otherwise I wouldn't care if the car was delivered a few days late.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Hang in there, Raj. Anything worth having is worth waiting for. If you want some prior experience on delays with MB go look up Neveda Jack's posts in this forum.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:18 AM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Raj,

I had to wait a few extra weeks for my order, so I know what you mean.

I would wait, and none the less "give" the car on the birthday in some creative way, (ie: model, photo etc). It is more important that you give the gift you want, than worry about the day the gift arrives. I'm certain the recipient would be more than happy to wait.

Also mention that the reason for delay is your factory order. In a way, you made or authored the gift by chosing what you thought they should have. Again, this sentiment is worth more in a gift, than the whole charade of walking someone out to the driveway to see a car with a big pink bow on the bonnet. IMHO, anyway.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:03 AM

'16 S550, '03 & '15 GMC Sierra 1500, '17 C300
Raj,

We all feel your pain. Don't accept anything but what you ordered. As long as you have a VIN from the dealer, your vehicle will arrive as ordered. If the dealer cannot give you a VIN, then someone is trying to push you to buy an inventory vehicle.

Have the dealer lend you a GL for the birthday and explain the custom GL was delayed by forces beyond your ability to control.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:04 AM

'97 E320
We all feel your pain. Don't accept anything but what you ordered. As long as you have a VIN from the dealer, your vehicle will arrive as ordered. If the dealer cannot give you a VIN, then someone is trying to push you to buy an inventory vehicle.

Have the dealer lend you a GL for the birthday and explain the custom GL was delayed by forces beyond your ability to control.
I'm not too worried about the dealer jerking me around, as I used to work there in sales and am well acquainted with all those involved. The dealer didn't drop the ball on the order...it was MBUSA's decreased production. Vehicle was ordered in the beginning of October with an early November build date, but wasn't loaded onto a rail until yesterday because they didn't have a full train until then. It is now scheduled to arrive in CA on the 25th, and will likely hit the dealer a couple days before year-end.

Unfortunately, it would be impractical to borrow a Bluetec since the dealer is about 100 miles away from where I live now.

I would wait, and none the less "give" the car on the birthday in some creative way, (ie: model, photo etc). It is more important that you give the gift you want, than worry about the day the gift arrives. I'm certain the recipient would be more than happy to wait.
When we first placed the order, I was having trouble deciding between arctic white/cashmere and sand beige/cashmere...ended up going with the white. The vehicle they found is essentially what we ordered, except in sand beige with the addition of rear entertainment & a couple other minor add-ons. Also, my dealer is willing to give a small additional discount to help offset the cost of the more expensive vehicle.

In this case, I would rather get a nearly identical, more expensive vehicle in a timely fashion than wait around for our order. However, being that this particular sand beige GL is the ONLY other option, I may have to do what you suggested if my dealer is unable to trade for it.

Thanks for the input, guys. I guess we'll see which GL was meant to be ours.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350, GL320CDI
I had a same problem car was delayed 4 month waiting and it was a present as well.
It was well worth the wait.
Get the dealer to borrow you one for birthday and get it for more days until you get the car. Car cost money dealer makes profit get something for the delay as well.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:28 AM

2011 GL450
What a wonderful gift! That person is very lucky. I am sorry your plans are being ruined/altered by this, I would be extremely disappointed to. Let us know how it goes and which one you end up with.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Hang in there Raj. I can relate to your situation as well from a few years back when we bought purchased a new S600 for him. The shipping company had some delays getting the car delivered, but in the end it was well worth the wait.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
It's the economy. Everyone is being affected.

The Alabama plant is going to be shut down for something like a month to save the costs, and Mercedes has asked for the resignations of 100% of the workforce there--they'll rehire as the economy suggests.

http://wardsauto.com/ar/mercedes_buy...labama_081103/
Old 12-13-2008, 09:25 AM

'16 S550, '03 & '15 GMC Sierra 1500, '17 C300
Raj - I experienced a similar delay last year when I placed my order. Initially given a November '07 build which was pushed ultimately to January '08. I did not get a VIN until mid-Jan, but only after pushing the dealer for it. I may have mentioned this earlier, if you have a VIN, then presumably your vehicle is somewhere between the planning stages (which I understand can be 3-4 weeks prior to assembly) and on a railcar/truck transport. If the later, the dealer can tell you the exact delivery date (+/- 24 hours). Doubtful it is sitting somewhere waiting for fellow passengers as MBUSA plans production so vehicles do not sit outside the plant too long (IIRC, dealer invoice is FOB Alabama). Nevada Jack may be more familiar with shipping times from AL to CA.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:41 AM

2011 GL450
Stickygreen- Last night when I was picking up my new GL, I noticed my dealer has a 2009 Arctic White/Cashmere BlueTec on their lot. It has the tow package, P1 and rear RSE. I also believe it has the appearance package. We are in SoCal. A short transfer to Monterey. If you want more info PM me and I will give you the sales managers phone number.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL550
Fresno has 5 bluetecs. 3 white, 1 silver and 1 pewter.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:01 PM

'97 E320
Thanks all. We are going to stick with out ordered vehicle as the other sand beige GL was pre-sold. I had my dealer run a locate for similar vehicles, but there are none other available with cashmere leather, p2, & ADS.

Netstar states the ETA to dealership is December 25th, so I'm guessing we'll get it around the 27th or so.

What a wonderful gift! That person is very lucky. I am sorry your plans are being ruined/altered by this, I would be extremely disappointed to. Let us know how it goes and which one you end up with.
This GL is a surprise 60th b-day gift for my mother. I'm just going to have to delay the celebration to coincide with the arrival of the GL.

Doubtful it is sitting somewhere waiting for fellow passengers as MBUSA plans production so vehicles do not sit outside the plant too long
Production date was November 6th, and it wasn't loaded onto a railcar until December 10th. My dealer was told by the MBUSA representative that the delay was due to having to fill the railcars before shipping vehicles out.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:10 PM

2011 GL450
[QUOTE=stickygreen;3217869]Thanks all. We are going to stick with out ordered vehicle as the other sand beige GL was pre-sold. I had my dealer run a locate for similar vehicles, but there are none other available with cashmere leather, p2, & ADS.

Netstar states the ETA to dealership is December 25th, so I'm guessing we'll get it around the 27th or so.

This GL is a surprise 60th b-day gift for my mother. I'm just going to have to delay the celebration to coincide with the arrival of the GL.

What a fantastic b-day present. I am sure she will be surprised! Glad to hear you stuck with the ordered car, now you are getting exactly what you want
Old 12-14-2008, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by oknish
Hang in there, Raj. Anything worth having is worth waiting for. If you want some prior experience on delays with MB go look up Neveda Jack's posts in this forum.
You are right Nish... late loading and then the train broke down and Stumblefoot and I had to track the trains status. Brian even went to the rail yard to check on things.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:59 AM

'97 E320
Looks like we might finally get it tomorrow...at least that's what my dealer was promised by MBUSA. Will post pics once it arrives.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:46 PM

2011 GL450
GL! I hope it is there! Can't wait to see pics