GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Any expert opinions on this Nav problem

Old 01-05-2009, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 E63, '15 GL450, '12 Range Rover Sport
Any expert opinions on this Nav problem

Drove my new '08 all of a day before I realized the car on the Command Screen live nav map was not moving but would stay in same position from where you started AND about a quarter mile out of correct position at the start. Then found a few other issues with the Command system like system shutting off on it's own every 40 or so minutes and button lights not working at night. Dealer called today and said he was able to fix all the problems by putting in new parts, but apparently the car still won't postion correctly on the Nav maps and he wants to keep it another day to fix the problem as they are not sure how to fix it as of now. Any ideas? At first I thought they lied to me when they said they put in new parts but after talking to them they insisted they did use new parts. Anybody have input here?
Old 01-05-2009, 09:21 PM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
20 E350 & 17 GLS450
Nav of a bit

For some reason my nav is alway just a bit or 100 yards late before it just to late to turn. Compared to my 07 E350 it not very accurate. It due for service in less then 20 days... let us know how it works out... anybody else have issues with the nav other then the horrible joystick entry. Hands down doesn't come close to my 04 MDX which was perfect all the time.

thanks,
Old 01-06-2009, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by terp97
For some reason my nav is alway just a bit or 100 yards late before it just to late to turn. Compared to my 07 E350 it not very accurate. It due for service in less then 20 days... let us know how it works out... anybody else have issues with the nav other then the horrible joystick entry. Hands down doesn't come close to my 04 MDX which was perfect all the time.

thanks,
I've had three times an issue where the NAV's off by about a quarter mile (at least that I've noticed, as in when I'm using it to direct me somewhere). It self-corrected in one case after about a half an hour, only to bounce back to the error, and then return to the correct position/direction. The other two times it took longer and lasted through turining off the computer.

What I know from being a pilot is that there are times when the GPS signal is considered "unreliable" for some reason. It's not a lot and it's difficult to say why, but it does happen. I don't know if that was the cause of what happened, but like I said it did self-correct.

STP
Old 01-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Banned

2008 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
I've had three times an issue where the NAV's off by about a quarter mile (at least that I've noticed, as in when I'm using it to direct me somewhere). It self-corrected in one case after about a half an hour, only to bounce back to the error, and then return to the correct position/direction. The other two times it took longer and lasted through turining off the computer.

What I know from being a pilot is that there are times when the GPS signal is considered "unreliable" for some reason. It's not a lot and it's difficult to say why, but it does happen. I don't know if that was the cause of what happened, but like I said it did self-correct.

STP
This happened to me once, as well, and I almost missed the exit (usually, she gives plenty of advance warning). I attributed it also to a poor satellite signal, and it hasn't happened since.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:37 PM

'16 S550, '03 & '15 GMC Sierra 1500, '17 C300
Originally Posted by StevethePilot

STP
Had a similar problem with our W221 although the satellite had the vehicle sitting about 150 miles away. It made getting from A to B quite challenging. Problem turned out to be a loose connection in the antenna lead. In our older W220, this problem was corrected by resetting the compass.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:56 PM

'13 E63, '15 GL450, '12 Range Rover Sport
Everything fine now. Picked it up today and a new Command screen was in place and everything works. Guy said it was a $4000 part, wow if true.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by shap07s550
Everything fine now. Picked it up today and a new Command screen was in place and everything works. Guy said it was a $4000 part, wow if true.
Easily $4k retail.