Off Road Package (334) and beach driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
metro card
Off Road Package (334) and beach driving

Hello all-

First time poster, I'm strongly considering picking up a GL450 as a family vehicle.

One of the complications in our vehicle search is that we spend many summer weekends driving on the beach, and once actual off-road capability is a factor, lots of SUV's dont make the cut.

It seems that the GL450 is a fine vehicle indeed, and would be especially capable with the locking diffs and low-range found with the off road package.

It looks like that option was discontinued in 2009 though, so I'm most likely going to be looking at a used one.

Did anyone specifically look for a truck with the 'Enhanced Off Road (334)' package? I'm finding it tricky to find a used truck with that option, at least with a correct online vehicle description.

I saw one thread where someone did some beach driving in Pismo... Anyone else drive on the beach without the off-road package? There's something very satisfying about low-range and a locked rear... No 'Are all 4 wheels spinning' type questions as you smoothly cross ruts and climb hills with no drama.

Any info on the best way to find one would be appreciated!

TIA.

-jpl
Old 01-13-2009, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by jpljr
It seems that the GL450 is a fine vehicle indeed, and would be especially capable with the locking diffs and low-range found with the off road package.

It looks like that option was discontinued in 2009 though, so I'm most likely going to be looking at a used one.
While I agree that a "true" trail truck should have locking diffs, I don't know if beach driving alone would be enough to warrant needing those (along with the extra couple of inches of hydro-lift the ORP offers). Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the GL have a LSD, along with the traction control program? I personally believe that other than airing down the tires for dry, soft sand there's not much you'd need to do for normal beach driving. Now, if you're planning on doing the sand dunes outside of Yuma or some real honest-to-goodness MOAB-style rock crawling, then yeah, the ORPs the way to go.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on my opinions!

STP
Old 01-13-2009, 10:36 AM

metro card
Hey STP-

A selectable rear locker is definitely overkill for the beach, no doubt.

But I find low-range with a locked center-diff to be pretty valuable. It's great to drop the tire pressure down to 15, put the truck in low-range (or center lock)... And hand the keys to the wife and infant, knowing that she can drive any part of the beach without worrying.

I dont know enough about 4Matic, and havent seen a good explanation of how it's implemented on the GL450 to have a feeling if it would be 'point and shoot' in the soft stuff. No dunes will be involved, although I do make an annual trip out to Moab with the crawler and we somehow always end up making some full-throttle passes through the dunes.... Thats another thread though. : )

If 4Matic locks in high range, and there is a rear-lsd, than should be fine. Do you know where there is a good explanation on how 4Matic works?

Also, are their tow-hooks hidden under the front bumper/plastic? In the rear, I would just use the factory hitch.

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2009, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If 4Matic locks in high range, and there is a rear-lsd, than should be fine. Do you know where there is a good explanation on how 4Matic works?

Also, are their tow-hooks hidden under the front bumper/plastic? In the rear, I would just use the factory hitch.
I'll bet a dollar someone here can explain it in detailed terms. I'm thinking maybe ScottyBDiving and Danno4x4 are your best bets.

As for tow hooks, there's a recepticle for a screw-in eye hook both front and back, covered by a small plastic ... cover. (Was gonna say door, but it's not really a door.) I'd definately go for the factory hitch either way, as it'll be the least likely to get in the way of driving and/or servicing. Aftermarkets will fit, but would most likely hang down considerably more.

Good luck!

STP
Old 01-13-2009, 07:24 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
There are not any beaches where I live, but I think I like 4matic more than my previous landrover.

As for info, checkout Wolfgang's ML site.
http://www.whnet.com/4x4/ets.html
Old 01-14-2009, 11:24 AM

metro card
Thanks for the link!

The readup on Wolfgang's site was interesting.

Does 4ETS = 4Matic? From those pages, they seem to be one in the same.

I'm new to the MB world, but 4Matic seems to be a very capable system. Perhaps, like STP mentioned, that a GL without the off-road package would be more than adequate for trips to the beach. With antsy kids and a lab that loves to swim, getting stuck would be a very painful endeavor though. I could see myself digging out the truck by myself while the family left me for the surf!

Brocktoon-
What about the LR system did you not like? I've always thought they were very capable off-pavement, and relatively innocous when driving on the road.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:50 PM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
The way I interpret it is the 4ETS is an electronic version of a limited slip axle.

This is what MBUSA says;

4Matic; 4 whee drive with 4 wheel Electronic Traction System

For optimum traction, even in slippery conditions, this full-time 4-wheel-drive system incorporates our advanced 4-wheel Electronic Traction System. 4-ETS can get you going even when only one wheel has grip. Sensors at each wheel monitor traction. If one or more wheels start to slip, 4-ETS brakes those wheels individually and shifts power to the wheel or wheels with traction, keeping you cruising along.

Last edited by scottybdiving; 01-14-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:38 PM

metro card
Originally Posted by scottybdiving
The way I interpret it is the 4ETS is an electronic version of a limited slip axle.
After reading up, that is my understanding as well. Although it seems that all the differentials are 'open', 4ETS will prevent excessive wheel-spin on the wheels with little/no traction, effectively transferring some power back to the other side of the diff.

I still like the idea of the off-road package, as I would actually use a 2range Tcase, and the extra height would be nice as well. The locked rear would be overkill, although I'd take it. : )

It seems that MB calls 4Matic the 4wd version, and the GL also implements 4ETS as some sort of traction/stabiliy programming.

So many acronyms, it's to confusing.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I still like the idea of the off-road package, as I would actually use a 2range Tcase, and the extra height would be nice as well. The locked rear would be overkill, although I'd take it. : )
I'm with you on all points, especially as a former Land Cruiser (LX470) owner. The extra height was great, the low-range T-case was very useful at times, and I never needed anything locked but the center diff. I do wish I had the ORP on my 320. Could you imagine? All that capability and the torque of the diesel on top of that? Wow.

STP
Old 01-14-2009, 08:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
After reading up, that is my understanding as well. Although it seems that all the differentials are 'open', 4ETS will prevent excessive wheel-spin on the wheels with little/no traction, effectively transferring some power back to the other side of the diff.

It seems that MB calls 4Matic the 4wd version, and the GL also implements 4ETS as some sort of traction/stabiliy programming.

So many acronyms, it's to confusing.
4Matic refers to the AWD system itself. 4-ETS refers to the traction control system.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:25 PM

Brocktoon-
What about the LR system did you not like? I've always thought they were very capable off-pavement, and relatively innocous when driving on the road.
It was too obvious compared to the 4matic. Always some sideways slip, noise, vibration, or weird binding feeling would crop up, even it was a "virtual locker" system as well.

Unless the ESP is running, the 4ETS just does it's business with no indication anything is happening, other than straight, forward vehicular motion.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:53 PM

2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
I was originally hoping that the GL diesel would have the off-road package available as well...

Off-roading is a hobby of mine, and while I have my Jeep Rockcrawler for the really technical stuff, I can appreciate having low range and a locker available for the GL... I have actually looked into equipping our GL with the Transfercase and the Rear Locking Diff from the off-road package. You can buy all of the parts necessary to swap the transfer case and rear diff from the off-road package to a non-offroad package GL... The only thing is that it actually costs about $8400 just for the parts.

I have not looked into finding a wrecked GL with the off-road package, but it would probably be much cheaper. The rear diff assembly, and transfercase will bolt right in place of the existing one, but you will need new rear half shafts and a new rear driveshaft as well... Both the locker and the t-case simply need a 12 volt feed to shift them, which could easily be done.

That being said, now that we have had our GL for about 1 1/2 years, (it has seen sand, snow, and mud) I have not come across any terrain where I thought the locker or the low-range was absolutely necessary. The hill decent control does a pretty good job in the downhill stuff and the really low 1st gear of the 7 speed transmission does a nice job allowing for control...

The only complaint that I would have is with the stock tires... Absolutely horrible in the mud and the snow, but they are not meant for that type of terrain...

Just a bit of feedback from a fellow off-road enthusiast...

If you are really serious about wanting something that has lockers, low range and that your family can tool around in on the beach... You can't beat a 4 door Wrangler Rubicon.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Danno4x4
If you are really serious about wanting something that has lockers, low range and that your family can tool around in on the beach... You can't beat a 4 door Wrangler Rubicon.
Nah ... a Land Cruiser 40 series with aftermarket lockers, ARB bullbar, OME suspension, maybe drop a Chevy small-block V8 in it for horses or even an old Ford diesel, and with the right tires you'll be able to traverse Moab without blinking. Of course, on road it'll be crap, but that's why you tow it with your GL, yeah?

STP
Old 01-15-2009, 10:14 AM

metro card
Just a bit of feedback from a fellow off-road enthusiast...

Thanks for the scoop. It's nice to hear from people who have had the GL off-pavement.

The JK Rubi is a great chassis, but I was hoping for a 1 truck solution. We live in a city, and just dont have room for 2 cars. I've tried that before, and it's just a pita for us.

As for the rocks, I run a 2800lb TJ. Chipped GM Short-star, shaved 60's front/rear, clocked 300, 37" Red Label crawlers (via BFG race program)... blah blah blah. It's been up the waterfall at Upper Helldorado at area BFE in Moab. Without a strap.

My wife wants something nice and quiet, refined yet capable. And preferably something I cannot take apart! : )

I'm going to shop around for a GL450 with the ORP, although I havent had much luck yet. It seems that the best way to find them is stumble across them. I wish there was a better way...
Old 01-15-2009, 01:10 PM

2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Nah ... a Land Cruiser 40 series with aftermarket lockers, ARB bullbar, OME suspension, maybe drop a Chevy small-block V8 in it for horses or even an old Ford diesel, and with the right tires you'll be able to traverse Moab without blinking.
Nothing wrong with an old FJ... But not the best for the wife and kid around town... The JK 4-door rides like a couch, comes with lockers front and rear, electronically disconnectable front sway-bar, 4 to 1 t-case, and can fit 35 inch tires with a minimal lift. And it is family friendly.

As for the rocks, I run a 2800lb TJ. Chipped GM Short-star, shaved 60's front/rear, clocked 300, 37" Red Label crawlers (via BFG race program)... blah blah blah. It's been up the waterfall at Upper Helldorado at area BFE in Moab. Without a strap.
Nice... 2800 lbs... I wish mine was that lightweight... Mine is close to 5K... My TJ has shaved Ford 9s Front and Rear (low pinion for now but true-hi's soon...) Atlas 4sp, Stretched to 104.5, 37 inch Mickey BajaClaw Stickies (going to 40 or 42s soon.)

I tried the waterfall... Full throttle assault... No go for me, but that was before the stretch... I am still running the stock 4.0 for now, but I have an LS2 waiting to go in

Good luck with your search... You might try to understand if the VIN contains some kind of indicator for ORP... That way you can search based on that indicator... Just for ****s and giggles, be sure to drive a diesel GL... I use mine to tow my heavy rig, and it does it with aplomb, much better than the V8 gas would have done.

Last edited by Danno4x4; 01-15-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:41 PM

We also had to have a single, multipurpose vehicle as we also live in the city, and I can back up Danno's assessment of the Diesel GL as a solid option. I love mine.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:04 PM

metro card
I tried the waterfall... Full throttle assault... No go for me, but that was before the stretch... I am still running the stock 4.0 for now, but I have an LS2 waiting to go in

Good luck with your search... You might try to understand if the VIN contains some kind of indicator for ORP... That way you can search based on that indicator... Just for ****s and giggles, be sure to drive a diesel GL... I use mine to tow my heavy rig, and it does it with aplomb, much better than the V8 gas would have done.

So you know... Everyone's idea of driving off-road is a little different, with area BFE on the far side of the 'I get it' spectrum.

First time up, the rig was at 104" as well. That Atlas 4 speed is sexy too. Very nice. My favorite part about Moab is the dunes on the way back from Pritchett though. Turns out rock-crawlers make pretty good baja trucks. It's the only time I've ever jumped a vehicle. You can get them to fly pretty far...

Back on thread... I like the idea of looking at the vin, I'll see what I can dig up with that approach. That's a great idea.

I'll also check out the 320. I havent driven one yet, but spoke to the wife about it. She already told me that she's afraid she may accidentally fill it with gas as opposed to diesel. So I considered that fair warning, and promptly crossed it off the list.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:00 PM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
My wife drives our GL320. This is her 3rd consecutive diesel vehicle. She would not consider anything else. In fact it is the diesel that steered us toward MB. She loves the way they pur and the fact that they are "steady and dependable".
Old 01-16-2009, 11:06 AM

Your wife will not put gas in it.

First, there is a big red cap that says Diesel Only!

Second, you will love the truck so much, she will never get a chance to drive it.

Third, if she does get it back, you only have to fill up once every couple of weeks, so I'm sure you could take care of it for her.

If you don't at least try out a diesel, you are missing out on the biggest treat the GL has to offer. My wife loves the torque and turbo kick, and having driven both, with practice, I think the diesel is not only an awesome highway motor, but awsome as well for cut and thrust city driving.