GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

IIHS claims data

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 F-250, 2007 GL450
IIHS claims data

I happened on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website in doing research for a safety presentation I had to do. I noticed an unusually low number for Personal Injury Protection claims for the GL.
http://www.iihs.org/research/hldi/co...sz=4&sort=name

While this number is greatly influenced by the driving habits and skills of the demographic that buys a particular vehicle, it’s also indicative of the relative protection that the vehicle provides.

There were a total of 400 vehicles for which they had sufficient data to give a result for the Personal Injury Protection column in the 2005-07 range. Only 18 of them (4.5%) were better than the GL. However, 7 of those were variations on the ¾ ton Chevy/GMC pickup. Seven of them (1.75%) were tied with the GL.

All this may not mean much, but probably means something. IIHS apparently hasn’t done crash testing on the GL so this is all we get to go on. The ML which is very similar in structure and interior to the GL is one of the best at the crash tests though it isn’t spectacular in the Personal Injury Protection category.