GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Anyone retrofit their fogs with HIDs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2009 | 07:19 PM

2009 GL450, 06 Triumph Speed Triple, 07 Triumph Speedmaster
Anyone retrofit their fogs with HIDs?

I did search after search and I see that there are those who swapped for the OEM chrome fogs, but I have not yet seen a thread on swapping their fogs for aftermarket HIDs.

Has anyone done this and have had any problems getting them to work? Spent the first half of the day trying to get this to work but was not able to. Not to mention, I/we can't seem to find the fuses for the headlamps and foglamps anywhere.

Before the peanut gallery chimes in with the Daniel Stern argument, I/we are gonna do what we want to do, so please dispense with the "finger wagging" and "talking tos" about the aftermarket HIDs. I will thank you for the additional insight that you have given me on this topic, but it hasn't changed my mind.

Look forward to hearing from those who have done it.
Old 03-14-2009 | 08:56 PM

04 CLK 500, 07 GSX-R 750, S 550, 09 Jeep GC
i don't have a GL, but i did this with my CLK500.

the problem i ran into is this: about every year or two i end up replacing a ballast for the HID. totally random. although this might be due to the fact that I'm not using the highest quality ballast on the market, but for 30 buck to replace it, i can't go wrong.
Old 03-16-2009 | 01:41 PM

'13 CLS550, '17 Q7, '11 G550
Josey92 - I haven't tried it on my GL, but have done it a couple times on headlights on other cars. Not sure what type of HID kit you have, but you shouldn't need to get to the fuses...the + wiring should go directly to the battery with the other end of the relay connected to the + wire going into the foglight - this will click the relay on when the foglights are turned on - but the direct power will come straight from the battery (the HID wiring kit should have its own in-line fuse. You shouldn't be connecting the place to get the juice directly to the headlight wiring. The ground wire should be able to go to anyplace in the engine bay to ground. After that you'll probably need something like the link below to ensure that you won't get an error on the dashboard...

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Low_Beam_F...Fix_p/rfix.htm

Hope this helps...Will
Old 03-16-2009 | 03:07 PM

Thanks Will,

That's what I figured cuz that's how it was installed on my Pilot. I will check to see which kit I have specifically, but it's a super slim digital balast -- probably has nothing to do with it. Anyway, I didn't check how it was wired, but everything is still in except for the bulbs. I'll take a look tonite.

Thanks again.
Old 03-01-2010 | 09:41 PM

This never worked so I am still interested in anyone who has done this. I know it's been done because I've seen a couple of GLs in the NYC area that have them.

Anyone?
Old 03-02-2010 | 09:17 AM

2008 ML350 4matic
I considered it in my ML. There was enough room to fit the ballasts and wiring in the housing behind the bulb. I did a test fit wth the HID kit for my headlights. Once the headlights were installed, I saw that the light output was more than sufficient. I did change my fogs to a 5000k bulb only to match the color of the HIDs. I also changed my parking lamps to PIAA extreme white bulbs to give the entire front end that same white/blue tint.
Got all the bulbs on eBay for less than 50.00 total.
To really match the lighting, I got a set of LED license plate bulbs....very sharp. Got those at ijdmtoys.com.....with the resistor built in, no errors.