GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 11:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL450 (Alabaster White/Black Interior)
Cruise Control

Anyone else had any issues with their cruise control. I have now had the cruise control go "Inoperative" on me three times. It happens when I use the stalk to slow down to a different speed. If I use the brake and re-engage it at the slower speed there does not appear to be any problems. The only way to get it to work again is to turn off the car and restart it. Thanks in advance.......
Old 03-15-2009, 02:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by BeanCounter
Anyone else had any issues with their cruise control. I have now had the cruise control go "Inoperative" on me three times. It happens when I use the stalk to slow down to a different speed. If I use the brake and re-engage it at the slower speed there does not appear to be any problems. The only way to get it to work again is to turn off the car and restart it. Thanks in advance.......
The closest I've come is when I first got the GL and was "playing" with the 5mph jump. I'd engage the cruise with a double click, either to speed up to the even/+5mph speed or slow down to it. I did it fairly quickly one time and had the cruise control crap on me. But once I'd re-started the engine it never happened again. (And I still do that double-click a lot, though often it doesn't seem to take the second click.)

STP
Old 03-16-2009, 06:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Does it reengage properly if you disengage it by pushing the stalk forward (towards the dash) instead of using the brake. You should be able to engage the old speed by pulling toward you (away from the dash) or engage a new speed by pushing up - toward the windshield.

If it is still under warranty, get the dealer to look at it and look for intermittent contact somewhere in the switch. Even if they find nothing you will have gone on record (and in the M-B database) in case the issue reappears in a more serious form.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Fourdiesel
Does it reengage properly if you disengage it by pushing the stalk forward (towards the dash) instead of using the brake. You should be able to engage the old speed by pulling toward you (away from the dash) or engage a new speed by pushing up - toward the windshield.

If it is still under warranty, get the dealer to look at it and look for intermittent contact somewhere in the switch. Even if they find nothing you will have gone on record (and in the M-B database) in case the issue reappears in a more serious form.
Once it goes inoperative it cannot be re-engaged unless you turn the engine off and restart. If it is working it will dis-engage and re-engage by moving the stalk foward and backward.

I am definitely getting it looked at. It's a real PITA when it goes out on long drives.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
That is weird, Jeff. I had my Distronic, ABS, DSR, EPS, etc. all go inactive at once when we had a decent earthquake here in SoCal. Apparently, one of the speed sensors (I think) went bad and broke it all.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
I have had this problem, but I was told by my dealer it was due to slippery roads. If your ESP engages it apparantly turns off your cruise control as a safety mechanism. I have to say I haven't noticed it recently, but did have this happen before.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
I have had this problem, but I was told by my dealer it was due to slippery roads. If your ESP engages it apparantly turns off your cruise control as a safety mechanism. I have to say I haven't noticed it recently, but did have this happen before.
Oh, yeah, I forgot about that! I was driving on the donut waiting for a replacement tire and it freaked out the traction control which kept disabling the cruise control.

STP
Old 03-17-2009, 02:55 PM

Jim and STP thanks for the input. My problems have happened when the roads were dry and riding on all four main tires. It almost seems like some wires are getting bunched up in the steering column when you lower the stalk. Hopefully the dealer will fix it and not tell me they cannot duplicate the problem like they usually do.