Filling up the tank - problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 10:48 AM
orn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL450 PE
Filling up the tank - problem

Hi all, I hope someone has some hints for me to take to the dealer - which can't solve this one:

I had the check engine light come on several times and I took it to the dealer 3-4 times only to have the dealer tell me that "the computer says the fuel cap is not tight enough on"... well I always make it click several times to avoid the check engine light without success.

Dealer finally decides to replace the fuel line from the tank up to the cap. Well, this solved the check engine light but a new problem appeared.

Whenever I fill up an empty tank now I can only pump like 10 gallons until the gas starts to spray out of the fuel line. I pause for a 5 seconds and then start again pumping in 2-3 gallons at a time again until it starts spraying up again.

This of course makes filling up the tank take more time and if I would use the "lock" feature on the pump the gas would spill all over the place since it doesn't stop for some reason when it starts spraying (the lock feature DOES work when the tank is actually full).

It seems to me that some air valve is stuck or something in the fuel line or the tank itself which makes the air escape out of the tank when it's filled up with gas.

I thought this would be an easy thing for the dealer to fix but he can't figure it out...

Thanks, Orn
Old 03-30-2009, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL450 (Alabaster White/Black Interior)
I had the exact same problem with an GMC Envoy a few years back. This problem is usually created in the filler neck which appears to be your issue as well. The selling dealer tried to fix it a bunch of times with no success and I finally had to take it to a different dealer who fixed it right on their first attempt and I never had the problem again. That's the approach I would take assuming it's an option considering your location. Otherwise I would get MB involved and have them "assist" in the repair.

Last edited by BeanCounter; 03-30-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:09 PM

2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
I suspect that the anti-siphon valve is defective... That is the device which prevents someone from stealing your fuel by placing a hose down into the tank... The dealer may have damaged the valve when they replaced the filler hose.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:27 AM

2008 GL 550
Hey Orn - any update on whether/how your issues was resolved. All of a sudden my check engine light has been coming on after fuel drops to just less than half a tank even though I tighten the gas cap. the only thing that resets the light is to fill up the tank again and tighten 5-6 turns. But check engine light will still eventually come on....