GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Sold my GL450. What to buy next?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 07:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 Tesla M3SR+, 2017 GLS550, 2011 E350 Bluetec, 2007 GL450 (GONE), 2003 E500 (GONE)
Originally Posted by stickygreen
All diesel vehicles from 2007 on up are required to have diesel particulate filters (not sure about commercial vehicles) by the EPA, so your '07 did have one. Perhaps MB changed the tuning between '07 and '08...
Guess what I just found out from my local MB dealer. Apparently the 07 diesel is not conforming to the California emission standards and I wouldn't be able to register it in this state. I am so glad that I happened to check on this fact. So I guess diesel out of the question for now until I can get into 'bluetec'.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'97 E320
you can register it if its "previously titled" and has at least 7500 miles at time of purchase. That's how we got our '05 cdi
Old 05-13-2009, 06:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Stickygreen is absolutely correct, As long as a vehicle was titled in another state in the US AND has 7500 miles on the odometer, it can be titled/registered in California. If a 'dealer' told you otherwise, he was misleading you.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI
^^What the last two said.

If you want to hear it straight from the "horse's" mouth, call the DMV. But they will also tell you, 7500 miles and previously titled anywhere in the US.

The dealer is blatantly incorrect.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:15 AM

C220
Originally Posted by neodoc
I think I could chime in with some varied options, having recently driven everything that's available in large and mid-sized SUVs, while shopping for a replacement for my parents' GL450 PE. Initially, I thought the GL might be too big for my dad (80 years young) so I looked at the Porsche Cayenne and the Audi Q5. My dad drove the Cayenne and liked it. My mom (85) found it easy to get in and out because of its lower step-in height. I liked the Cayenne S, with its 8 cyl engine, finding the 6 cyl version a bit weak. In order to get any performance out of it, coming from an 8 cyl, I had to stomp on it, which only made it louder. Had we bought a Cayenne, it would have been an S and likely would have been a short-term lease, as the newly restyled Cayenne is due out in a couple of years.

Next came the Audi Q5. It was well built and quite pretty in S-Line trim, but it's 6 cyl engine, while very powerful, it's a bit loud. I found that the electronics would have been quite complicated for my parents to figure out. Even though they're highly educated, their age makes the learning curve quite steep. The other factor that steered me away from the Q5 (and the Q7 which I also drove) was the wow factor that they both lacked. Call me a snob, but arriving in a Mercedes says something about its driver. Audis, although fine automobiles, are quite plain looking (except the R8) and blend in more easily. This, of course, is my own opinion and I welcome differing points of view. One last note about the Q7 is that the 8 cyl version is not that much better than the V6, except perhaps a tiny bit quieter.

Moving on, I drove the BMW X3, and found it quite acceptable, if dated. As with most BMWs, the interior is somewhat stark, but nicer than that in the GLK. Power is adequate and it's fairly quiet, with a supple ride. Apparently, this issue has been corrected, as most reviews of older X3's always had something to say about the harsh ride. I found it very forgiving. One thing it lacked, and in my case was a deal-breaker, was the trailer hitch. None is offered from the factory and aftermarket hitches require disassembly of half the rear of the vehicle with cutting of the rear diffuser for installation. That translates into about $1200 parts/labor. No deal.

For kicks, I drove the VW Touareg 6 cyl. I found it to be quieter than its Cayanne counterpart (whose engine is a rebadged VW VR6), with more supple suspension and a nicer interior in full-on trim. Compared directly with the Cayenne twin, it's a much better deal if the snob in you (or me) can get past the VW vs Porsche logos. In its price range, it's a good buy. I can't comment on its reliability, but at least the maintenance is included while under warranty. It's worth a second look.

I drove the previous generation Lexus RX 350 gas and Hybrid versions. Both were nicely finished and attractive, but not very quiet. There was too much road noise carried into the passenger compartment at highway speeds and some of the interior parts looked like they were lifted right out of a Camry. I frankly would take a second look at the Venza before plopping down so much money for a Lexus. We passed on the Lexus, and didn't look at the other Japanese competitors from Infiniti and Mazda.

Finally, we arrive at Mercedes. I've had the pleasure of owning a Premier Edition GL450, and because of that, the bar was set pretty high when finding a replacement. I've driven and liked the ML350, but found that the design is getting a bit dated. The new Hybrid version seems promising, but I'd wait until a diesel/electric version became available, and that the MB hybrid technology is more proven before spending money on it. The GLK is very polarizing; either you like it or you don't. I don't. The exterior reminds me of a Subaru and the interior in very angular and plasticky. Not what I would expect from a Mercedes, even an entry level model. After much deliberation and asking my father what he wanted, we decided on the GL550. I can tell you that I don't miss the GL450 at all. The 550 is quieter and has a better ride than the 450 did, and it looks stunning in silver. Power is impresive, with launches invoking traction control to keep the front tires from spinning. It can be a bit too soft on twisty roads (the few that exist in South Florida), but at the push of a button, setting the suspension control to Sport fixes that instantly. It really is that noticeable. This is not a sports car, and should not be treated like one, but it delivers the ride and comfort of an S-Class with the versatility of an SUV.

I don't know if this very subjective review will help you in your decision, but I hope it will at least serve as a jumping off point for further discussion. Good luck in your quest for a new truck.
You're a snob. You asked for it. Arriving in a Mercedes says something about it's driver to you and those whose value sets are a bit upside down, don't you think?

Assuming your father had you when he was 30, you should have figured it out by now....
Old 05-14-2009, 11:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 Tesla M3SR+, 2017 GLS550, 2011 E350 Bluetec, 2007 GL450 (GONE), 2003 E500 (GONE)
Everyone,

Thank you for all your feedback. I am happy to report that I am back to 2007 GL450 which I picked up yesterday. The car has 33500 miles and is completely loaded. It boasts leather package, keyless go, distronic, parktronic, linguatronic, bluethooth, rear entertainment, bi-xenon, hitch, rear camera, navigation, harman kardon, folding side mirrors, memory package, heated steering wheel, front and rear heated seats, etc. The only thing that is missing is the climate control. In the next couple of weeks I will be working on outfitting the car with MB running boards, front and rear skid plates, chrome pedals, chrome handle inserts and chrome bumper plate in the rear. As soon as I get everything done I will post pictures of the new ride. The only dilemma I have now is whether I should replace my heated steering wheel with a wooden one. I live in CA and heated steering wheel is not critical here. What do you guys think?
Old 05-17-2009, 12:44 AM

2007 Cadillac Escalade
How's that GL working out for you?
I am in the Market for a new Mercedes GL, and really wanting to get rid of my '07 Escalade.
Any major cons that would deter someone from buying a GL?

And also,
Should I wait for the 2010 GL 450?
Is the only difference the face lift,
and the new tailights?
Old 05-17-2009, 11:29 PM

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Rolls Royce Wraith, 1999 CLK Cabriolet, 2023 Genesis G90
Originally Posted by grover432
You're a snob. You asked for it. Arriving in a Mercedes says something about it's driver to you and those whose value sets are a bit upside down, don't you think?

Assuming your father had you when he was 30, you should have figured it out by now....
I may be a snob, but I have worked very hard to get where I am. My father came to this country in his late thirties, before I was born, escaping communism and he too worked very hard. With a Doctoral degree, he worked washing dishes, sweeping floors, etc., alongside my mother, who also had a Doctoral degree. Both of them eventually went back to school, in English, and were able to work in their chosen careers as teachers for many years. They encouraged me and put me through school. Now, as an M.D., I get a chance to give something back to him. I bought him his first Mercedes three years ago and his second one month ago. If I'm a snob, so be it, but my father deserves this vehicle and deserves to be seen in it. He lost everything as most everybody did when coming to this country, and he worked hard, never going on welfare or any public assistance. If I now can afford this vehicle (one of three Benzes in my garage) it's thanks to him and my mother. At 80, I don't know how much longer he'll be able to safely drive. So, this snob, as you call me, who works with the poor in a public hospital and is loved and respected by his patients and his peers, put him in the vehicle he liked. Have a nice day.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
I may be a snob, but I have worked very hard to get where I am.
Joe, you're a senior member - you should know you don't have to respond to those types of comments, clearly made with the ignorance that is afforded to those looking no more closely at you than their own keyboard. I think all of us who perhaps wanted to comment on the appropriateness of the statement (or lack thereof) just let it lie because we all recognize it simply didn't deserve a response. That said, I admire you and your family for living the American dream that's so under attack lately and bringing yourselves up by your own bootstraps, rather than by climbing the coat tails of others. You have my respect.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:46 AM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
Amen to that.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:27 AM

GL550
I am very impressed by the Doctor. I always try to buy the best for my wife and dogs. ME TO
Old 05-18-2009, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Joe, you're a senior member - you should know you don't have to respond to those types of comments, clearly made with the ignorance that is afforded to those looking no more closely at you than their own keyboard. I think all of us who perhaps wanted to comment on the appropriateness of the statement (or lack thereof) just let it lie because we all recognize it simply didn't deserve a response. That said, I admire you and your family for living the American dream that's so under attack lately and bringing yourselves up by your own bootstraps, rather than by climbing the coat tails of others. You have my respect.
+ A ridiculously large number.

Being a first generation immigrant myself, I can empathize.

Happy motoring, Joe.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:37 PM

2008 GL 320 CDI
I may be a snob, but I have worked very hard to get where I am. My father came to this country in his late thirties, before I was born, escaping communism and he too worked very hard. With a Doctoral degree, he worked washing dishes, sweeping floors, etc., alongside my mother, who also had a Doctoral degree. Both of them eventually went back to school, in English, and were able to work in their chosen careers as teachers for many years. They encouraged me and put me through school. Now, as an M.D., I get a chance to give something back to him. I bought him his first Mercedes three years ago and his second one month ago. If I'm a snob, so be it, but my father deserves this vehicle and deserves to be seen in it. He lost everything as most everybody did when coming to this country, and he worked hard, never going on welfare or any public assistance. If I now can afford this vehicle (one of three Benzes in my garage) it's thanks to him and my mother. At 80, I don't know how much longer he'll be able to safely drive. So, this snob, as you call me, who works with the poor in a public hospital and is loved and respected by his patients and his peers, put him in the vehicle he liked. Have a nice day.
NeoDoc:

You sound like an appreciative son who respects and understands the sacrifices his parents made for him.

I hope my child will realize what I am doing for her as I realize what my parents also did for me.

God Bless You.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Originally Posted by LEOSOPHIE
However, I do regret not going back to a diesel truck. I am, at heart, a truck man. My next car will probably be the new Dodge Ram 1500 Diesel 4 door 4x4 Laramie. They are very luxurious inside, extremely roomy, safe, practical, have all the bells and whistles the MZB's have, and the best part...it's a Cummins diesel!
Just a nit, but to get a Dodge Diesel you need to have a 2500 (3/4 ton). I have a 06 Dodge 2500 Cummins Megacab Laramie and love it. The GL seems a little small in comparison. Getting 21 mpg on the highway in that big old truck is very rewarding.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:27 PM

2005 Range Rover HSE, 2008 BMW M3 Cab d/c, 2010 GL550 (wifes), 1993 Porsche 928GTS 32kmi garage quee
Originally Posted by MB500
Everyone,

Thank you for all your feedback. I am happy to report that I am back to 2007 GL450 which I picked up yesterday. The car has 33500 miles and is completely loaded. It boasts leather package, keyless go, distronic, parktronic, linguatronic, bluethooth, rear entertainment, bi-xenon, hitch, rear camera, navigation, harman kardon, folding side mirrors, memory package, heated steering wheel, front and rear heated seats, etc. The only thing that is missing is the climate control. In the next couple of weeks I will be working on outfitting the car with MB running boards, front and rear skid plates, chrome pedals, chrome handle inserts and chrome bumper plate in the rear. As soon as I get everything done I will post pictures of the new ride. The only dilemma I have now is whether I should replace my heated steering wheel with a wooden one. I live in CA and heated steering wheel is not critical here. What do you guys think?
Congratulations!! Def go with the wood wheel. Once you have it you will wonder how you ever did without. I have a Friend that feels the same. He says he will never buy a car again unless it has wood wheel. My S has heat in the leather part of the wood wheel. I rarely if ever use the heat. I was reading through this thread as I'm considering a GL for the wife to replace her Qx-56. I was going to comment and plead you not to go with the R. I think its the ugliest thing MB has ever created. So you mad a good choice.
Enjoy.