GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Sold my GL450. What to buy next?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 04:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 Tesla M3SR+, 2017 GLS550, 2011 E350 Bluetec, 2007 GL450 (GONE), 2003 E500 (GONE)
Sold my GL450. What to buy next?

Yesterday I sold my very basic black-on-black GL450 and is now considering what I should buy next. The primary driver of the GL was my wife and she 'complained' that the car was too big for her. Before the GL she drove a fully loaded '06 ML500 and seemed to like that car very much. We have two kids and need to stick with an SUV type of car. The wife mentioned that she kinda liked the R-class but I am definitely against having the R parked in my garage. I never liked those cars and, from what I've heard, the car was a pretty big failure on the MB part.

Here are the options that I am considering now:

1. Get another 2007 GL450 but this time it would be loaded with parktronic, rearview camera, memory seats, etc. to make my wife's life a bit easier.

2. Get 2008 ML350 or maybe even ML550. The only thing is that MB did restyling of the ML in 2009 and if I go with 2008 it will look a bit outdated.

3. Consider R350. I hope that it doesn't come to that

4. Look at other alternatives like Lexus GX470? Lexus RX would be too small to consider.

What else is out there? What would you recommend if you were to sell your GLs today?
Old 05-03-2009, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
I like the looks of the GLK. If / when they come out with a diesel version, I will take a good look.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche, Cadillac
I think option 2 is the best.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:46 PM

2021 Tesla M3SR+, 2017 GLS550, 2011 E350 Bluetec, 2007 GL450 (GONE), 2003 E500 (GONE)
Originally Posted by scottybdiving
I like the looks of the GLK. If / when they come out with a diesel version, I will take a good look.
I had a chance to drive GLK for about a week when my GL was at the dealer. It seemed a bit too small for my taste and gas mileage wasn't that impressive. I think that I've got about 21mpg driving GLK which was certainly better than my 16mpg on the GL but still not a huge difference.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by MB500
I had a chance to drive GLK for about a week when my GL was at the dealer. It seemed a bit too small for my taste and gas mileage wasn't that impressive. I think that I've got about 21mpg driving GLK which was certainly better than my 16mpg on the GL but still not a huge difference.
In your OP, you mentioned the GL was too large. BTW, the GLK with the 4 cyl2.2L diesel is reported to get 34 mpg with a 8.5 sec 0-60. Not too shabby for a 4000 lb vehicle.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
If GLK is not fitting the bill then why not upgrade to a GL 550? They come pretty loaded. You might be able to find a good deal on a used one.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:44 AM

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Rolls Royce Wraith, 1999 CLK Cabriolet, 2023 Genesis G90
I think I could chime in with some varied options, having recently driven everything that's available in large and mid-sized SUVs, while shopping for a replacement for my parents' GL450 PE. Initially, I thought the GL might be too big for my dad (80 years young) so I looked at the Porsche Cayenne and the Audi Q5. My dad drove the Cayenne and liked it. My mom (85) found it easy to get in and out because of its lower step-in height. I liked the Cayenne S, with its 8 cyl engine, finding the 6 cyl version a bit weak. In order to get any performance out of it, coming from an 8 cyl, I had to stomp on it, which only made it louder. Had we bought a Cayenne, it would have been an S and likely would have been a short-term lease, as the newly restyled Cayenne is due out in a couple of years.

Next came the Audi Q5. It was well built and quite pretty in S-Line trim, but it's 6 cyl engine, while very powerful, it's a bit loud. I found that the electronics would have been quite complicated for my parents to figure out. Even though they're highly educated, their age makes the learning curve quite steep. The other factor that steered me away from the Q5 (and the Q7 which I also drove) was the wow factor that they both lacked. Call me a snob, but arriving in a Mercedes says something about its driver. Audis, although fine automobiles, are quite plain looking (except the R8) and blend in more easily. This, of course, is my own opinion and I welcome differing points of view. One last note about the Q7 is that the 8 cyl version is not that much better than the V6, except perhaps a tiny bit quieter.

Moving on, I drove the BMW X3, and found it quite acceptable, if dated. As with most BMWs, the interior is somewhat stark, but nicer than that in the GLK. Power is adequate and it's fairly quiet, with a supple ride. Apparently, this issue has been corrected, as most reviews of older X3's always had something to say about the harsh ride. I found it very forgiving. One thing it lacked, and in my case was a deal-breaker, was the trailer hitch. None is offered from the factory and aftermarket hitches require disassembly of half the rear of the vehicle with cutting of the rear diffuser for installation. That translates into about $1200 parts/labor. No deal.

For kicks, I drove the VW Touareg 6 cyl. I found it to be quieter than its Cayanne counterpart (whose engine is a rebadged VW VR6), with more supple suspension and a nicer interior in full-on trim. Compared directly with the Cayenne twin, it's a much better deal if the snob in you (or me) can get past the VW vs Porsche logos. In its price range, it's a good buy. I can't comment on its reliability, but at least the maintenance is included while under warranty. It's worth a second look.

I drove the previous generation Lexus RX 350 gas and Hybrid versions. Both were nicely finished and attractive, but not very quiet. There was too much road noise carried into the passenger compartment at highway speeds and some of the interior parts looked like they were lifted right out of a Camry. I frankly would take a second look at the Venza before plopping down so much money for a Lexus. We passed on the Lexus, and didn't look at the other Japanese competitors from Infiniti and Mazda.

Finally, we arrive at Mercedes. I've had the pleasure of owning a Premier Edition GL450, and because of that, the bar was set pretty high when finding a replacement. I've driven and liked the ML350, but found that the design is getting a bit dated. The new Hybrid version seems promising, but I'd wait until a diesel/electric version became available, and that the MB hybrid technology is more proven before spending money on it. The GLK is very polarizing; either you like it or you don't. I don't. The exterior reminds me of a Subaru and the interior in very angular and plasticky. Not what I would expect from a Mercedes, even an entry level model. After much deliberation and asking my father what he wanted, we decided on the GL550. I can tell you that I don't miss the GL450 at all. The 550 is quieter and has a better ride than the 450 did, and it looks stunning in silver. Power is impresive, with launches invoking traction control to keep the front tires from spinning. It can be a bit too soft on twisty roads (the few that exist in South Florida), but at the push of a button, setting the suspension control to Sport fixes that instantly. It really is that noticeable. This is not a sports car, and should not be treated like one, but it delivers the ride and comfort of an S-Class with the versatility of an SUV.

I don't know if this very subjective review will help you in your decision, but I hope it will at least serve as a jumping off point for further discussion. Good luck in your quest for a new truck.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:45 AM

GL320 CDI, SL550
If your wife thinks the GL is too big, go for the ML. The current body style ML's look great and to me are a bit more sporty than the GL. The GLK seems too small, I've seen several on the road and they remind me of the X3, which is also too small.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'97 E320
If long term reliability & repair costs aren't an issue, it's hard to find a more "pleasant" SUV to drive than a Range Rover. Just make sure you don't own one off warranty...
Old 05-04-2009, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
In your OP, you mentioned the GL was too large. BTW, the GLK with the 4 cyl2.2L diesel is reported to get 34 mpg with a 8.5 sec 0-60. Not too shabby for a 4000 lb vehicle.
Why must you taunt us? Why? Where would I get a 4cyl diesel GLK, here in the USofA?

It's cruelty, is what it is.

STP
Old 05-04-2009, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Why must you taunt us? Why? Where would I get a 4cyl diesel GLK, here in the USofA?

It's cruelty, is what it is.

STP
Let The Taunting Begin
Old 05-04-2009, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Why, oh why, must you make it so difficult (albeit informed) Joe and Scott?

Great feedback though since we are thinking about the GLK to replace wife's Volvo.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:14 PM

2008 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by neodoc
I think I could chime in with some varied options, having recently driven everything that's available in large and mid-sized SUVs, while shopping for a replacement for my parents' GL450 PE. Initially, I thought the GL might be too big for my dad (80 years young) so I looked at the Porsche Cayenne and the Audi Q5. My dad drove the Cayenne and liked it. My mom (85) found it easy to get in and out because of its lower step-in height. I liked the Cayenne S, with its 8 cyl engine, finding the 6 cyl version a bit weak. In order to get any performance out of it, coming from an 8 cyl, I had to stomp on it, which only made it louder. Had we bought a Cayenne, it would have been an S and likely would have been a short-term lease, as the newly restyled Cayenne is due out in a couple of years.

Next came the Audi Q5. It was well built and quite pretty in S-Line trim, but it's 6 cyl engine, while very powerful, it's a bit loud. I found that the electronics would have been quite complicated for my parents to figure out. Even though they're highly educated, their age makes the learning curve quite steep. The other factor that steered me away from the Q5 (and the Q7 which I also drove) was the wow factor that they both lacked. Call me a snob, but arriving in a Mercedes says something about its driver. Audis, although fine automobiles, are quite plain looking (except the R8) and blend in more easily. This, of course, is my own opinion and I welcome differing points of view. One last note about the Q7 is that the 8 cyl version is not that much better than the V6, except perhaps a tiny bit quieter.

Moving on, I drove the BMW X3, and found it quite acceptable, if dated. As with most BMWs, the interior is somewhat stark, but nicer than that in the GLK. Power is adequate and it's fairly quiet, with a supple ride. Apparently, this issue has been corrected, as most reviews of older X3's always had something to say about the harsh ride. I found it very forgiving. One thing it lacked, and in my case was a deal-breaker, was the trailer hitch. None is offered from the factory and aftermarket hitches require disassembly of half the rear of the vehicle with cutting of the rear diffuser for installation. That translates into about $1200 parts/labor. No deal.

For kicks, I drove the VW Touareg 6 cyl. I found it to be quieter than its Cayanne counterpart (whose engine is a rebadged VW VR6), with more supple suspension and a nicer interior in full-on trim. Compared directly with the Cayenne twin, it's a much better deal if the snob in you (or me) can get past the VW vs Porsche logos. In its price range, it's a good buy. I can't comment on its reliability, but at least the maintenance is included while under warranty. It's worth a second look.

I drove the previous generation Lexus RX 350 gas and Hybrid versions. Both were nicely finished and attractive, but not very quiet. There was too much road noise carried into the passenger compartment at highway speeds and some of the interior parts looked like they were lifted right out of a Camry. I frankly would take a second look at the Venza before plopping down so much money for a Lexus. We passed on the Lexus, and didn't look at the other Japanese competitors from Infiniti and Mazda.

Finally, we arrive at Mercedes. I've had the pleasure of owning a Premier Edition GL450, and because of that, the bar was set pretty high when finding a replacement. I've driven and liked the ML350, but found that the design is getting a bit dated. The new Hybrid version seems promising, but I'd wait until a diesel/electric version became available, and that the MB hybrid technology is more proven before spending money on it. The GLK is very polarizing; either you like it or you don't. I don't. The exterior reminds me of a Subaru and the interior in very angular and plasticky. Not what I would expect from a Mercedes, even an entry level model. After much deliberation and asking my father what he wanted, we decided on the GL550. I can tell you that I don't miss the GL450 at all. The 550 is quieter and has a better ride than the 450 did, and it looks stunning in silver. Power is impresive, with launches invoking traction control to keep the front tires from spinning. It can be a bit too soft on twisty roads (the few that exist in South Florida), but at the push of a button, setting the suspension control to Sport fixes that instantly. It really is that noticeable. This is not a sports car, and should not be treated like one, but it delivers the ride and comfort of an S-Class with the versatility of an SUV.

I don't know if this very subjective review will help you in your decision, but I hope it will at least serve as a jumping off point for further discussion. Good luck in your quest for a new truck.
Excellent reviews. You do your research as I do mine.

After driving every mid sized and full sized SUV on the planet, I purchased the GL 320 CDI. I have always liked diesels, needed the size, and felt it conveyed an "understated elegance." It wasn't "out there" like my Porsche, but certainly indicated a certain level of taste.

However, I do regret not going back to a diesel truck. I am, at heart, a truck man. My next car will probably be the new Dodge Ram 1500 Diesel 4 door 4x4 Laramie. They are very luxurious inside, extremely roomy, safe, practical, have all the bells and whistles the MZB's have, and the best part...it's a Cummins diesel!
Old 05-04-2009, 01:32 PM

GL550
However, I do regret not going back to a diesel truck. I am, at heart, a truck man. My next car will probably be the new Dodge Ram 1500 Diesel 4 door 4x4 Laramie. They are very luxurious inside, extremely roomy, safe, practical, have all the bells and whistles the MZB's have, and the best part...it's a Cummins diesel!
Old 05-04-2009, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ooo! That's not taunting, that's (probably empty) MBUSA promises, that we will be able to get the 2.2 4!

STP
Old 05-04-2009, 09:26 PM

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts
What about the new Audi Q7 S line...so nice looking!
Old 05-05-2009, 08:08 PM

Guys,

Thank you for all of your feedback and insight.

After very careful consideration we are now down to two options. The first one is to get another GL450 but fully loaded. I have found one with 33K miles in black-on-black for $41K. It's loaded with all of the options except optical off road package and running boards. Has brand new tires and 18 inch wheels.

The other option that my wife is trying to convince me to consider is 2007 R320 CDI. I have found one completely loaded with parktronic, rear view camera, disctronic, real leather package, wood steering wheel, xenons, panoramic roof, etc with 25K miles on it. In my estimation it should be under $30K. I have never owned diesel but the CDI model has gotten raving reviews at edmunds.com Gas mileage seems to be at around 28mpg on highway. Not bad at all.

Comments? Most curious about your opinions around R320 CDI.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:48 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
I love my CDI! I think your wife will like the R very much. Who cares that they have not sold many. If it works for you, you are right to let someone else take the hit, they were not all that cheap to begin with, and your salvage value after the next few years is likely pretty close. I'd save +$12,000 and do the R. At less than 30k that is a lot of car for that money.

The R is actually pretty long, the wheelbase is longer than the GL, but don't tell her that, it feels like a smaller car.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
2007 GL/R CDI is BETTER than the 2008! Better mileage and a little more power. In 2008 they messed with the fuel maps to be able to dump unburned fuel into the exhaust to heat up the particulate filter (not present on the '07). Result, the '07 gets 4-5 mpg better mileage than the '08. That's a good thing!
Old 05-06-2009, 10:17 PM
fq1

Guys,

The other option that my wife is trying to convince me to consider is 2007 R320 CDI. In my estimation it should be under $30K.
I lease returned a fully loaded (every single option original msrp of about 75k) R500 a few months ago. The car only had 17k miles on it and MB Financial offered a lease-end buyout of 23k to me. But I did not bite because I wanted the GL. So you should be able to get the R for significantly less than 30k.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:09 AM

'97 E320
2007 GL/R CDI is BETTER than the 2008! Better mileage and a little more power. In 2008 they messed with the fuel maps to be able to dump unburned fuel into the exhaust to heat up the particulate filter (not present on the '07). Result, the '07 gets 4-5 mpg better mileage than the '08. That's a good thing!
You sure about that? I'm fairly certain that both the '07 and '08 had the diesel particulate filter that would "regen", which is the process you described above. AFAIK, a lot more of the '08's came with 19" wheels, which hurts mileage a bit but nowhere near 4-5 mpg.

EPA ratings changed between '07 and '08 just because they modified their method of testing to be more "realistic".

AFAIK, other than available options and packages, the '07 and '08 were identical.

On the same note, our '09 gets 23-24mpg highway, and that's with 20" runflat tires. No doubt in my mind that downsizing to an 18" should yield a noticeable increase. Just have to wait for someone to come out with an 18" runflat tire in the proper size...

To the OP, if you can get over the looks, the R class has a very nice drive to it, and the ride IMO is better than both the GL and ML due to the longer wheelbase and especially with the air suspension. But as mentioned above, it is quite a bit longer than a GL.

We might have considered an '09 R320 Bluetec if MBUSA didn't decontent the available options so much...but in retrospect, I'm glad we got the GL.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by stickygreen
EPA ratings changed between '07 and '08 just because they modified their method of testing to be more "realistic".
+1 That's what I heard, too.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:51 AM

2008 GL 320 CDI
Guys,

Thank you for all of your feedback and insight.

After very careful consideration we are now down to two options. The first one is to get another GL450 but fully loaded. I have found one with 33K miles in black-on-black for $41K. It's loaded with all of the options except optical off road package and running boards. Has brand new tires and 18 inch wheels.

The other option that my wife is trying to convince me to consider is 2007 R320 CDI. I have found one completely loaded with parktronic, rear view camera, disctronic, real leather package, wood steering wheel, xenons, panoramic roof, etc with 25K miles on it. In my estimation it should be under $30K. I have never owned diesel but the CDI model has gotten raving reviews at edmunds.com Gas mileage seems to be at around 28mpg on highway. Not bad at all.

Comments? Most curious about your opinions around R320 CDI.
That is exactly what I am getting on my 08' GL 320 CDI.....28.37 MPG last highway trip. I wouldn't go Blu-Tec however. A little less mileage, and no spare tire on the GL series...I am not sure about the R series spare tire situation. .
Old 05-07-2009, 04:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Originally Posted by stickygreen
You sure about that? I'm fairly certain that both the '07 and '08 had the diesel particulate filter that would "regen", which is the process you described above. AFAIK, a lot more of the '08's came with 19" wheels, which hurts mileage a bit but nowhere near 4-5 mpg.snip
Yes, I am sure. I owned both! '07 had 18" Michelins and I got 28-30 mpg depending on trip conditions and tailwind! '08 had 19" Contis and ALWAYS gets 5 mpg less - even though I have now put on 18" Michelins. '07 had 14K mi when traded, '08 has 24k mi now. My mileage results are very consistent with the TrueDelta reported differential between the '07 and '08 GL 320 CDI.

The "EPA mileage was adjusted to more nearly reflect the actual results" story was what I heard too. That isn't completely candid. AFAIK the '07 320 CDI does NOT have a particulate filter and I know the '08 does.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:54 AM

'97 E320
All diesel vehicles from 2007 on up are required to have diesel particulate filters (not sure about commercial vehicles) by the EPA, so your '07 did have one. Perhaps MB changed the tuning between '07 and '08...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Sold my GL450. What to buy next?