OEM HID Headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 GL 450
Exclamation OEM MB HELLA BI XEON LIGHT ISSUE

Originally Posted by haris3344
There are two types of xenon headlights in GL. One is the self-leveling headlight; other one is just regular xenon. If you have two modules attached on the back of the headlights (u can verify this with KW2 if u are buying it from him) then they are self leveling but if u only have one module then its just regular xenon. However, they both can be installed because your car comes with the computer that is installed at back of the car for self leveling headlights even though u have Halogen currently.

Your car with Halogen headlights has 3 harnesses going into the headlight assembly versus car with xenon has 4 harnesses. So it means you need to buy

Of course a set of xenon headlights
A set of harness for the right & left headlight

Anyways, it’s a 2-step process (took me ten steps to do it but of course every dealer I knew told me it can’t be done and I finally got it to work).

First step:

Change the Halogen headlights to xenon (You will save some money if u do it your self or have a local shop do it for u)

Now, when u turn on your headlights, it will flicker and turn off after 30 seconds. Your GL computer is not recognizing the xenon headlight and it is turning the headlights off for safety.

Second step:

Dealer needs to run the star diagnostic in order to switch to xenon which will fix the issue and the headlights will work fine.

Now at this point your headlights will work fine but the low beam won’t work and the turn signals will blink faster than normal however, it works fine on the outside (will blink at the normal rate).

The reason for the above issue is the forth harness that is not connected. You need to connect the forth harness and update another computer which will fix everything. I had the first step done at a local shop and second step done at the dealer (Mercedes Benz of Hoffman Estates- Chicago land area). This is a tedious process for the first timer, which I have paid the price. Should be a piece of cake if you follow the instructions.
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and was interested in this post because I bought my wife a 2009 GL450 that has EVERY option available except the BI-XEON lights. So I ordered the complete set for $2,500.00 from an authorized MB Dealer its an ORIG OEM HELLA PART so it should work.....right?

Took the lights to a MB mechanic and they said I needed an additional wire harness because the lights there putting in (XEON) have 4 plugs and the lights they took out have 3 plugs.

Can someone please email me and let me know if this is possible? I've spent almost $3,000 on these lights so if this conversion is NOT possible I need to return them to Merecedes. I hope someone can help me?

Thank you,

DJC.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 gl450
Has anyone installed aftermarket HID'S on a 2011 GL? I attempted to install them and could not get the bulbs to lock in. I went to a local shop and was told they were unable to lock the bulbs in either. They claim there is a difference from the 2011 amd 2010 model.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Try to find a kit that uses a metal base on the H7 HID conversion bulb. Most use a plastic base and it can be hard to fit the bulb withough modifying the little ears that lock it into the headlight housing.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:29 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Mercedes Benz, BMW
Originally Posted by haris3344
There are two types of xenon headlights in GL. One is the self-leveling headlight; other one is just regular xenon. If you have two modules attached on the back of the headlights (u can verify this with KW2 if u are buying it from him) then they are self leveling but if u only have one module then its just regular xenon. However, they both can be installed because your car comes with the computer that is installed at back of the car for self leveling headlights even though u have Halogen currently.

Your car with Halogen headlights has 3 harnesses going into the headlight assembly versus car with xenon has 4 harnesses. So it means you need to buy

Of course a set of xenon headlights
A set of harness for the right & left headlight

Anyways, it’s a 2-step process (took me ten steps to do it but of course every dealer I knew told me it can’t be done and I finally got it to work).

First step:

Change the Halogen headlights to xenon (You will save some money if u do it your self or have a local shop do it for u)

Now, when u turn on your headlights, it will flicker and turn off after 30 seconds. Your GL computer is not recognizing the xenon headlight and it is turning the headlights off for safety.

Second step:

Dealer needs to run the star diagnostic in order to switch to xenon which will fix the issue and the headlights will work fine.

Now at this point your headlights will work fine but the low beam won’t work and the turn signals will blink faster than normal however, it works fine on the outside (will blink at the normal rate).

The reason for the above issue is the forth harness that is not connected. You need to connect the forth harness and update another computer which will fix everything. I had the first step done at a local shop and second step done at the dealer (Mercedes Benz of Hoffman Estates- Chicago land area). This is a tedious process for the first timer, which I have paid the price. Should be a piece of cake if you follow the instructions.
Thank you for the great write up. I am wondering if you tell which forth harness I should get. Any part number? I have no idea what to look. Where it should go to and from? Thank you in advance!