GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Audio system problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL450; 2005 TL; 1986 IROC-Z28
Audio system problem

I'm having an odd problem with the audio system. It seems to appear when there are a series of short errands or stops. When you get back in the car and start it there is no sound from the audio system regardless of the source - radio, cd. If the car is then parked for an extended period of time (half hour to an hour) it works fine again. The real problem is it's very intermittent. I've tried to recreate it and can't, yet it's happened four times over the past couple of months. I have the HK sound system with Nav, the Bluetooth puck, voice commands. Since it's happened to my wife recently I've told her next time it happens to disconnect the Bluetooth puck and see if it changes anything. When it happened to me I don't remember if the phone was connecting either. I'm grasping here, but I know the drill - if I go to the dealership with this one I'm sure they won't be able to recreate it but it will happen to me the very next day. Anyone run into this before?
Old 06-03-2009, 11:39 AM

GL320 CDI - Obsidian Black
I can't say specifically - but you might want to consider this.

In my last car ( an Audi as it happens) I had a similar sounding problem.
After some pain diagnosing it was traced to the head-unit overheating.

The head unit was replaced under warranty.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:26 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
You can have them check the CD changer for a voltage spike down the bus. Was causing issus for me.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Banned

2008 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by redroc14
I'm having an odd problem with the audio system. It seems to appear when there are a series of short errands or stops. When you get back in the car and start it there is no sound from the audio system regardless of the source - radio, cd. If the car is then parked for an extended period of time (half hour to an hour) it works fine again. The real problem is it's very intermittent. I've tried to recreate it and can't, yet it's happened four times over the past couple of months. I have the HK sound system with Nav, the Bluetooth puck, voice commands. Since it's happened to my wife recently I've told her next time it happens to disconnect the Bluetooth puck and see if it changes anything. When it happened to me I don't remember if the phone was connecting either. I'm grasping here, but I know the drill - if I go to the dealership with this one I'm sure they won't be able to recreate it but it will happen to me the very next day. Anyone run into this before?
Not exactly what you're describing, but one time, after starting the car, all audio sources (radio, sat, ipod, telephone) were mysteriously static-filled, to the point of being unlistenable. Turned the COMAND completely off - no effect. Turned the car off - no effect. A few hours later, I re-started the car and all was back to normal. Hasn't shown up since, but I'm sure the gremlin will eventually return. They usually do.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:52 PM

2008 Barolo Red GL450, P1, 19" pkg, ipod, ill. door sills, running boards, trailer hitch, keyless go
Originally Posted by Comfy_Couch
Not exactly what you're describing, but one time, after starting the car, all audio sources (radio, sat, ipod, telephone) were mysteriously static-filled, to the point of being unlistenable. Turned the COMAND completely off - no effect. Turned the car off - no effect. A few hours later, I re-started the car and all was back to normal. Hasn't shown up since, but I'm sure the gremlin will eventually return. They usually do.
I had the exact thing happen to me yesterday, except after 5 min., everything returned to normal.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:20 PM

2007 GL450; 2005 TL; 1986 IROC-Z28
Thought I would post the resolution to this problem. After replacing the amp the problem went away for good (I hope). It took three tries - first time they upgraded the software on COMAND, second time they thought it was the fan cooling the amp. It got to the point that I could reproduce it at will, which was very useful because I was able to drive in with the problem. Matter of fact after picking it up the second time I pulled out drove two or three miles, parked in a lot, turned off the ignition waited five minutes and started it up with the radio on and it didn't work. Drove back with it like that, told them to keep until they fixed it and gave them my exact route. They also reproduced it. Hopefully gone for good!
Old 03-17-2015, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by redroc14
Thought I would post the resolution to this problem. After replacing the amp the problem went away for good (I hope). It took three tries - first time they upgraded the software on COMAND, second time they thought it was the fan cooling the amp. It got to the point that I could reproduce it at will, which was very useful because I was able to drive in with the problem. Matter of fact after picking it up the second time I pulled out drove two or three miles, parked in a lot, turned off the ignition waited five minutes and started it up with the radio on and it didn't work. Drove back with it like that, told them to keep until they fixed it and gave them my exact route. They also reproduced it. Hopefully gone for good!
Ok, so it was the AMP under the drivers seat???