HID's Installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by rayleiwu
(and the stock ones have them installed outside underneath the housing as well. see attached pic, not sure why two of them? one for high-beam as well?)
I could be mistaken (it's happened before!) but I believe the second unit is part of the leveling mechanism.

All-in, a stock conversion could easily go over $1000/side and you might still not get the leveling units (if you go used or "broken clip," which some folks say indicates a possibly stolen headlight). Just FYI.

STP
Old 12-28-2009, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 E53 SG
Originally Posted by axchung
Is it that obvious? I've been thinking about that for a while but couldn't figure out (too lazy) how to remove the headlights. I got desperate and did the Laminix light tint but is not the effect that i was after.

haha. definitely obvious. I think it would look really great on your car, but you may have to murk out the entire front grill and fog surrounds too.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 GL320 BTC; 07 BMW 335i
Originally Posted by evoviiiyou
Here is the site where we got the HIDs:

www.xenithxenons.com
Same kit here. One week after it's been installed, I'm getting bulb out error, otherwise I'm very satisified with the mod. It seems the error showed up when the headlights automatically turned on in Auto mode. Re-started the vehicle, the errors cleared out. Not a functional problem but it's quite annoying. Anyway to get rid of it? (such as adding a parallel resistor?)

UPDATE: Just searched and found "HID Kit Warning Canceller", will try it out

Last edited by rayleiwu; 01-01-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:02 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
correct. hid conversions are illegal as the hid light properties are very different than the regular lights and the reflector for each (and the focusing lens in front of the bulbs) are different to accommodate said differences.

in addition in the us all hid headlights are required to be equipped with self-leveling mechanism.

the hid conversions are hard to detect from outside and this you might get by for certain period of time or.. forever.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 E53 SG
Same kit here. One week after it's been installed, I'm getting bulb out error, otherwise I'm very satisified with the mod. It seems the error showed up when the headlights automatically turned on in Auto mode. Re-started the vehicle, the errors cleared out. Not a functional problem but it's quite annoying. Anyway to get rid of it? (such as adding a parallel resistor?)

UPDATE: Just searched and found "HID Kit Warning Canceller", will try it out
You have the third generation? I don't have this issue, but you may want to talk to George at xenithxenons. He'll make it right.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by evoviiiyou
...black plastic weather seal cap ...
Does anyone know the part# for this "black plastic weather seal cap"? Since I too drilled holes on them, I like to have two spares in case I need quickly switch the HIDs back to the stock.

EDIT: Just found the diagram online, which one do you think it's?

1) W/o curve illum W/o curve illum Right 2) Screw Screw Back 3) Sealing ring Right
4) Xenon bulb Back 5) Headlamp bulb Back 6) Signal bulb Back
7) Park lamp bulb Back 8) Marker lamp bulb Back 9) Signal lamp Signal lamp Back
10) Park lamp Park lamp Back 11) Marker lamp Marker lamp Back 12) Inner cover Back
13) Outer cover Back 14) Light sensor 2 plug 15) Xenon Xenon Back
16) Light output Light output Back 17) Series transformer Series transformer Back 18) Light and rain sensor Light and rain sensor Back
19) Light range adjuster Light range adjuster Back
Attached Thumbnails HID's Installed-5791030.gif  

Last edited by rayleiwu; 01-06-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:25 PM

2007 GL 450 and 2006 SL600
Would you be so kind to tell me where you bought your conversion kit? Did you need to buy 1 or 2 kits and does it include hi beam as well. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by ja62ben
Would you be so kind to tell me where you bought your conversion kit? Did you need to buy 1 or 2 kits and does it include hi beam as well. Thanks in advance.
www.xenithxenons.com
1 kit for the low beam. Since hi beams are reflector type so you can't convert them.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:00 PM

2007 GL 450 and 2006 SL600
HID conversion.

Thanks for the advice......went ahead and ordered from George at suggested website. Appreciate the time responding.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 E53 SG
Originally Posted by ja62ben
Thanks for the advice......went ahead and ordered from George at suggested website. Appreciate the time responding.
I ordered mine from George as well. got the 3rd generation. I didn't drill holes into the caps. I put the ballasts into the headlight enclosure. it all fit.

if i had to do it over again, I think I would have gotten the 4300k instead of the 6000k. 6000k seems a little more blue than the oems. I like what I have but prefer the oem look.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by ddcha
...I didn't drill holes into the caps. I put the ballasts into the headlight enclosure. it all fit.
Hi ddcha - I got the 3rd gen as well. I followed your instruction and threw the ballast into the headlights, however it was TOO hot, then I had to switch to the drilling method, they've been working great now!

Have you ever checked the heat the ballasts produced?

....I think I would have gotten the 4300k instead of the 6000k. 6000k seems a little more blue than the oems. ..
Agree! I'm thinking to buy a pair 4300k bulbs to test them out, do you think it'll work? The ballast is supposed to fit different bulbs, isn't it?
Old 01-08-2010, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 E53 SG
Hi ddcha - I got the 3rd gen as well. I followed your instruction and threw the ballast into the headlights, however it was TOO hot, then I had to switch to the drilling method, they've been working great now!

Have you ever checked the heat the ballasts produced?

Agree! I'm thinking to buy a pair 4300k bulbs to test them out, do you think it'll work? The ballast is supposed to fit different bulbs, isn't it?
The ballasts should work with the other bulbs, but check with George. What do you mean the ballasts were too hot? How did you figure that this was a problem? My old halogen bulbs used to get very hot in the housings as well. But the housing is already built for high heat. Were parts melting for you or something?
Old 01-08-2010, 10:39 AM

... Were parts melting for you or something?
The ballasts produce a lot additional heat into the housing which were designed for the bulbs only. I found some of the wires threw into the housing along with the ballasts were softened near to melt. It's winter right now, I was afraid that they could be getting into troubles in the summer time...
Old 01-08-2010, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 E53 SG
The ballasts produce a lot additional heat into the housing which were designed for the bulbs only. I found some of the wires threw into the housing along with the ballasts were softened near to melt. It's winter right now, I was afraid that they could be getting into troubles in the summer time...
hmmm. thanks for the headsup. I'll check it out tonight.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:04 PM

2007 GL450; 2005 TL; 1986 IROC-Z28
I had done the install back in May and posted some pics putting the ballast on the inside. I was very concerned about the heat initially, but after going through the entire summer I didn't have an issue and we had some pretty hot days. Coincidently I just pulled out the wiring and ballast on one side a couple of weeks ago because I had always meant to tidy up the wiring. Looking at the wires, etc I didn't see any sign of damage from heat. Maybe it could be a different ballast? I'll keep an eye out though as to what you experienced. Thanks
Old 01-09-2010, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
I have felt mine after a long trip and were not at all hot. It may be a bad ballast.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 E53 SG
I agree that it must have been the bad ballasts. I purchased my generation 3 HID kit from George at xenithxenons and my ballasts do not get hot.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:15 AM

I just bought my kit from George at Xenith Xenons. How does it get wired up? I assume that the current wiring that goes into my current H7 bulb then plugs into the small red and black lead off of the HID bulb, the black plug from the HID bulb plugs into the red plug on the ballast and then the remaining plugs between the bulb and the ballast can only go one way. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 ML350 4matic
The black wire will plug into the bulb clip on the brown wire side and the red into the yellow wire side. The rest is foolproof. You cannot connect the plugs improperly. They are all male to female and different sizes to ensure this.
Simply....black to brown / red to yellow.

I had real trouble trying to push the rubber grommet through the original mounting clip...ripped both times so I just threw the ballasts and wires into the entire housing.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:35 AM

Thanks for your help. Did you use double sided tape to hold the ballast inside the housing? Or, is it inside the housing loose?

Really appreciate the help.

-Sean

Originally Posted by Benzo 003
The black wire will plug into the bulb clip on the brown wire side and the red into the yellow wire side. The rest is foolproof. You cannot connect the plugs improperly. They are all male to female and different sizes to ensure this.
Simply....black to brown / red to yellow.

I had real trouble trying to push the rubber grommet through the original mounting clip...ripped both times so I just threw the ballasts and wires into the entire housing.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 ML350 4matic
once everything was stuffed in their, it was pretty tight. I did not use any tape or securing devices. I have had no problems what-so-ever.

I have opened up the cover and checked the temp of the ballasts, they get warm, nothing I worry about.

If you are going with the "stuff it" method, I would just trim the grommets off, there is no need to struggle with them. Mine got destroyed anyway while trying to actually save them.

One more helpful thing.....The original silver metal clip comes off of the original bulb socket. There are 2 little tabs that go into the base of an original H7 bulb. BEND THOSE DOWN FLUSH. I struggled for awhile to fit the new bulb in. AND....that same clip only mounts one way. The outer tabs that hold the bulb to the housing point down towards the gound. There is a slight angle to the outer tabs, again, I lost some time with that struggle.

Start on the passenger side, mine was easier on that side.

Last edited by Benzo 003; 02-02-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:16 AM

Great advice, thanks very much.

-Sean
Originally Posted by Benzo 003
once everything was stuffed in their, it was pretty tight. I did not use any tape or securing devices. I have had no problems what-so-ever.

I have opened up the cover and checked the temp of the ballasts, they get warm, nothing I worry about.

If you are going with the "stuff it" method, I would just trim the grommets off, there is no need to struggle with them. Mine got destroyed anyway while trying to actually save them.

One more helpful thing.....The original silver metal clip comes off of the original bulb socket. There are 2 little tabs that go into the base of an original H7 bulb. BEND THOSE DOWN FLUSH. I struggled for awhile to fit the new bulb in. AND....that same clip only mounts one way. The outer tabs that hold the bulb to the housing point down towards the gound. There is a slight angle to the outer tabs, again, I lost some time with that struggle.

Start on the passenger side, mine was easier on that side.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 E53 SG
Mine are still running strong. I'm getting some 4300k shipped to me soon. I'll post pics with the color comparison when I have them. I cut those soft grommets off myself. Don't need them unless you're drilling holes in the cover of the headlight housing.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:47 PM

Thanks, yes I ordered the 4300's. I will cut the grommets, sounds like the method of putting everything in the housing is the way to go. I appreciate the advice.

Mine are still running strong. I'm getting some 4300k shipped to me soon. I'll post pics with the color comparison when I have them. I cut those soft grommets off myself. Don't need them unless you're drilling holes in the cover of the headlight housing.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:11 AM

I installed my bulbs this morning. The installation was very straightforward. However, I have a weird problem. When the car is off and the headlights are on, the bulbs look great. When the car is running and the headlights are on, the bulbs flicker, both sides. The driver side even went out, then came back on after I shut the car off. Weird. It's as if the power to the lights is different when the car is running compared to when the car is off.

I called George and left a message, but does anyone have advice? Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HID's Installed