GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

HID's Installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi S4, BMW M3, Toyota Sienna
Just wanted confirmation.....are these kits a simple plug and play with the existing halogen bulbs?

Also, is it ok to have the units put inside the casing vs. drilling a hole?
Old 10-25-2010, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
I've been running the HID ballasts in my headlight housing for a long time without any issues.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 ML350 4matic
Originally Posted by BlownV8
I've been running the HID ballasts in my headlight housing for a long time without any issues.
same here.....no issues
Old 11-01-2010, 06:54 PM

Just curious, I bought a set from George from XenithXenons but I can't seem to get the bulbs to secure into the housing? How did you guys go about doing this? Looks like the 2011 H7 bulbs has some sort of metal clips that needs to be on the bulb to be able to secure it in.

Not to mention, I tried 1 bulb just to test it and it was flickering.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Try this link. I posted a DIY with pictures. https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...-pictures.html
Old 11-02-2010, 02:33 PM

Does anyone here know the part number for the metal adapter clips that we must remove from the original to be placed onto the xenons bulb base?
Old 11-02-2010, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by advan24r
Does anyone here know the part number for the metal adapter clips that we must remove from the original to be placed onto the xenons bulb base?
Why not use the ones you have on your GL?
Old 11-03-2010, 02:15 PM

Why not use the ones you have on your GL?
I just finished installing it. I had to bend that metal clip so many times so the bulb will twist in. I want to make sure I have an extra pair so if I need to switch it back I wouldn't have to keep on doing trial and error to have the stock ones twist back on. I figured these clips won't be too expensive.

Now that it's done, is it normal that the bulbs flicker slightly (it's not that noticeable unless you really focused and look at the beam against a wall). These are the 3G versions from XenithXenons and I installed these onto a 2011 GL450.

Anyone know the part number for the clips in the meantime?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No, the flicker is not normal. Did you install resistors? If so, you may bad bulbs.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:56 PM

Hey BlownV8:

So I actually did a real test last night by driving to the Warriors game and back. I noticed that only one side (passenger side) was flickering. It randomly happens when I slow down the car on the freeway due to traffic. But when I accelerate again, the flickering stops. The flickering doesn't happen all the time when the car slows but it does happen randomly, I just notice it more when the car slows down.

So this morning, I switched the ballast from the passenger to the driver side and now the driver side flickers. I would say it flickered 3 out of 4 times when I turned off and turned on the headlight in the garage. Would my guess be a bad ballast?

I also noticed that if I come to a complete stop at a red light and then accelerate, the headlights brighten for a sec and goes to normal.

The unit that I bought was the 3G version from XenithXenons. It came with the bulbs (of course), the ballast, and another small unit which I would assume are the resistors inside!?
Old 11-04-2010, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Could be the ballast. Contact the seller and let them know what is happening. I'm sure they would take care of the issue.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:16 AM

How long does it take George to respond back? It's been a couple days from my first e-mail.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:54 AM

Ok, anyone out there have better quality HID kits? The xenithxenons continue to flicker and the customer service isn't there.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Ok, anyone out there have better quality HID kits? The xenithxenons continue to flicker and the customer service isn't there.
Try these guys:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

I have used two of their kits now and they are true plug and play, NO flickering, and answered all of my questions before the sale.

Nice kit, nice service

PS: I bought the 8K lights and they look OEM to me and MsAMG.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 E53 SG
Give George a chance. He's a good guy and will take care of you.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 E53 SG
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Try these guys:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

I have used two of their kits now and they are true plug and play, NO flickering, and answered all of my questions before the sale.

Nice kit, nice service

PS: I bought the 8K lights and they look OEM to me and MsAMG.
those look ok, but those ballasts look really big. do you have any installed pictures?
Old 11-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Suzuki
Thanks for the kind words ddcha.

advan24r: I sent you a PM about your issue, I'm almost certain I know how to have it fixed. Thank you.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:15 PM

Hi George (Xenith Xenons),

How long does it take to get you guys to reply? I replied to your e-mail and PM almost 3-4 days ago.

Has anyone received such slow customer service from XENITH XENONS? I'm surprised they were good at receiving the order and sending it out, but as for customer service...sooooo slow.

Anyone else have other HID KIT recommendations?
Old 11-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Suzuki

How long does it take to get you guys to reply? I replied to your e-mail and PM almost 3-4 days ago.

Has anyone received such slow customer service from XENITH XENONS? I'm surprised they were good at receiving the order and sending it out, but as for customer service...sooooo slow.

PM replied to
Old 11-15-2010, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 E53 SG

In my experience, George has been a very honest and respectable vendor to deal with. I've bought a lot of garbage on eBay over the years and was looking for a vendor based here in the US (most vendors on eBay are in Asia), that could offer better quality and better service and offer good value. eBay vendors tend to speak very little English and like to disappear or rename themselves when they have issues with customers.

In my research, I found xenithxenons to be recommended on forums all over the web. Granted they were honda, acura, and mitsubishi forums, customers on those sites can typically be the toughest to please. George also states on his webite that some of the luxury european cars could experience some flickering or error message problems, so he offers cancellors which eliminate the problem altogether. I didn't have those problems with my first set, but later had some minor flickering with the second and the cancellors fixed the problem. There are other users here that did the same.

Yes, George can take a few days to respond sometimes but think about what you're getting. You are buying something at an "eBay price" but you're getting a better product, better customer service, and most importantly an honest guy that will stand by his product if you have any complaints for the duration of the warranty.

And no, I'm not a personal friend or relative of George. I'm just not a big fan of vendor bashing (unless it's well deserved of course).
Old 11-16-2010, 01:53 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Suzuki
Originally Posted by ddcha
In my experience, George has been a very honest and respectable vendor to deal with. I've bought a lot of garbage on eBay over the years and was looking for a vendor based here in the US (most vendors on eBay are in Asia), that could offer better quality and better service and offer good value. eBay vendors tend to speak very little English and like to disappear or rename themselves when they have issues with customers.

In my research, I found xenithxenons to be recommended on forums all over the web. Granted they were honda, acura, and mitsubishi forums, customers on those sites can typically be the toughest to please. George also states on his webite that some of the luxury european cars could experience some flickering or error message problems, so he offers cancellors which eliminate the problem altogether. I didn't have those problems with my first set, but later had some minor flickering with the second and the cancellors fixed the problem. There are other users here that did the same.

Yes, George can take a few days to respond sometimes but think about what you're getting. You are buying something at an "eBay price" but you're getting a better product, better customer service, and most importantly an honest guy that will stand by his product if you have any complaints for the duration of the warranty.

And no, I'm not a personal friend or relative of George. I'm just not a big fan of vendor bashing (unless it's well deserved of course).
Thank you for your kind words
Old 12-17-2012, 01:01 AM

GL 450 2007
Hi all this is my first post. I followed all of the installation plans but the bulbs don't seem to function at all. Instructions were to disable the Daylight running light for the HID light to work properly. How am i able to disable it. I cannot find the correct fuse to disable it.

HELP!!!!!!
Old 12-17-2012, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Currahee
Hi all this is my first post. I followed all of the installation plans but the bulbs don't seem to function at all. Instructions were to disable the Daylight running light for the HID light to work properly. How am i able to disable it. I cannot find the correct fuse to disable it.

HELP!!!!!!
What instructions say to disable the daytime running lights? I posted a link to where I did the original write-up on the conversion. Go to those instructions.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:02 PM

GL 450 2007
What instructions say to disable the daytime running lights? I posted a link to where I did the original write-up on the conversion. Go to those instructions.
thank you for the response.

http://www.xenithxenons.com/category_s/13.htm click on the pdf file on instructions.

Stupid question but I am a novice in this. I installed only the driver side and the bulb did not light up. Am I to install the passenger side too so not to confuse the computer?

I installed the warning cancellers and disconnected them checking that the connections are correct but to no avail.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not sure why they would tell you to disable the DRL's. Once again, refer to the write-up I did in 2009. https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...-pictures.html