Brake Dust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI
Brake Dust

Here's an interesting article about brake dust.

Brake Dust: A Problem That's Not Really a Problem

I've never had an issue with brake dust on my GL, although the brake pedal feel has never been the greatest (somewhat spongy). The article notes that mushy brake pedal feel in at least one vehicle (2005 Ford Focus) was the result of an intentional reworking of the brakes to reduce brake dust issues.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C350 Elegance
Exclamation

It gets to look really ugly fast, to the point that some times the once a week wash cannot cut it.

What I don't understand is where the truth about brakes with ceramic pads lies. On the one hand, the best MB mechanic in B.A. refuses to install them, claiming that the effort required to brake is too high for daily driving. On the other, manufacturers like Hawk present them in street series as the best brake development since ABS.

Better than any argument about what MB should or not do would be clear trustworthy specifications to insure that replacement pads, discs, and calipers can be chosen well for lowest dust emission, independent of material or cost. I am convinced that if Porsche has an up-charge of $8,500 for ceramic brakes, these are practical, safe and best.

Cheers, JV