GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

question for surfers- best way to carry board

Old 08-31-2009, 05:29 PM

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
AMG GT R and GLS 450
question for surfers- best way to carry board

what is needed to carry surfboards on top of the gl? I assume i would need to buy the crossbars, correct? then would i buy seperate surfboard holders with straps that afix to the crossbars? is that correct? any particular brand you would suggest.
thanks
Old 09-01-2009, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 177 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
That's how to do it and I'd get crossbars from dealer.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GL 450
Surf Board Carry

We use the factory cross bars and with straps. Two boards is fine, no extra board bracket needed. We bought a velco/buckle board strap set from a surf shop that provides two straps, don't need/use the pads that came with the straps for other hard type generic roof racks.

Mount the boards far enough forward that the hatch when fully open does not hit the tail of the board.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 450
I bought Yakima Lowrider mounts for mine on ebay used. They just arrived yesterday and look/fit great. $140 shipped with the cross bars. I have the straps and cushions for the mounts from my previous SUV so no worries there.

I went down to San Onfre on Saturday with the family without racks and with my 9' long board in the car and it SUCKED! Had to put the passanger seat down and the board covered up half the front window....do I even need to mention the amount of sand in GL? Sheesh...Black car with black interior = hating life when going to the beach kids and surfboard!!!

I picked up the Yakima's online for a fraction of the cost of the Benzo cross bars...

Now...do I mount the OEM running boards I bought myself or take it to a shop for $200, or take it to the dealer and pay $550? ROFLOL.