GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Have you ordered your 2010 GL?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML350
Have you ordered your 2010 GL?

I briefly touched on this in another thread but......
How does this sound....
Ordered my 2010 GL on July 27. This one to replace my 2007, had to order the new one because I wanted to have the Ir.Silver with Ash interior again. None with that combo anywhere to be found.
Ordered on July 27,, I was told the build day would be Sept 12 (a Saturday??), and I would get it in early October. Dealer called me yesterday and told me that the new build day will now be sometime in November.....
Has anyone else had a similar experience???? Your thoughts???
Old 09-02-2009, 07:48 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
I had a similar experience when ordering my first - a 2007 GL. The dealer I ordered from kept getting 'put off' until the projected build date was almost at the end of the model year run! That, along with the costs of going to Alabama to pick up the car from the M-B dealer there made me cancel the deal (but not until AFTER I found one at a Bellevue WA dealer - a 3 hr drive away - that was very close to what I wanted).

I think that smaller dealers don't pull much weight when it comes to getting pushed around by factory production schedules.

I agree with you that getting the features you want (I would not do without Keyless Go again) is important when you are spending the kind of $$$ these cars get. Keep trying on all the internet sources at your disposal. One WILL turn up within driving distance of you - probably before 'your' car is built.
Moral: If the dealer you ordered from can't push YOUR order as promised, don't make it your problem, make it HIS by buying from someone else!
Old 09-03-2009, 05:45 PM

2013 ML350
I keep checking all the dealers in a 200 mile area of my home. The number of GL's for sale is between 230 to 250 on any given day. I have yet to find an Iridium silver with ash interior with Premium 1 and parktronic. Dealer says if I find one, they can get it for me.
Dealer also says that they believe the delay in production is due to the fact that MBUSA doesn;t want the 2010's discounted and is therefor limiting production to make them scarce.
My car has 29,488 miles on it and I told the dealer I was hoping to trade it before it reaches 30 G. He said that as they have quoted me a trade in price, it is Their problem, not mine..
Old 09-03-2009, 07:31 PM

2010 GL 350
I order my GL350 in June, but I knew that Mercedes was not releasing them until September. So the Car is "in Production" status, but has not been started yet. It may be more reliable to be sure that the dealer has a car that has been allocated and can be changed. These cars are already in line to be produced. The more a dealer sells, the more likely they will have cars in line to be built. Just placing an order will result in waiting for a dealer allocation.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:39 PM

2013 ML350
That is a good idea about changing a car already in the pipeline. Is it an absolute that a dealer can change an order?? I will check with the dealer to see if they'll do it.
Thanks for the info and the idea........that's what this board is all about..
Old 09-03-2009, 11:01 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Originally Posted by czcz
I keep checking all the dealers in a 200 mile area of my home. The number of GL's for sale is between 230 to 250 on any given day. I have yet to find an Iridium silver with ash interior with Premium 1 and parktronic. Dealer says if I find one, they can get it for me.
Dealer also says that they believe the delay in production is due to the fact that MBUSA doesn;t want the 2010's discounted and is therefor limiting production to make them scarce.
My car has 29,488 miles on it and I told the dealer I was hoping to trade it before it reaches 30 G. He said that as they have quoted me a trade in price, it is Their problem, not mine..
Exactly why are you the one checking local inventory when your dealer has the ability to do this for you with a couple keystrokes in Netstar? Seems as though you are working for your own sale instead of them? Anyhow, good luck.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:55 AM

2013 ML350
I don't know how interested my local dealer is in finding me what I want at another dealership. I think that they would just rather that I wait until the vehicle that I ordered comes in to them. I also doubt that they would take the time or devote the effort to "keep looking" like I am doing. I was hoping to have the car for the upcoming fall foilage season and a few road trips before the winter sets in. I have a signed sales agreement with the dealer setting the trade in value of my '07, so as my salesman told me....that's their problem.
I just still can't get over the prolonged waiting period for a vehicle when MBUSA sees fit to go to a four day work week at Vance.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:58 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
czcz:
The delay has more to do with the dealer pipeline priorities than the Alabama workload. If you can, find a LARGE dealer with lots of sales and see if you can get 'hooked up' with one of his cars that can still be changed. Large dealer = more cars under construction with his 'name' on them.
M-B went to a four day work week because their world sales projections for the model year of GLs, Rs, etc won't support a 5 day week. It was either that or run 5 days and then shut the plant down completely for 20% of the production year. I'm sure they would rather run 5 days especially at the beginning of the model year, but they have some tough choices to make. Neither your individual order, nor mine will make much difference in that case.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:24 AM

2013 ML350
I was crusin' through the ML forum and found info on there from a fellow who works in Plant 1 where they make the ML and R class. He states that Plant 2 makes the GL class and that they are on a one shift per day, four day work week. So, I'll just sit back and wait unless one pops up locally somewhere.
Thanks to all for the input....(Geez, am I the only one who likes the ash colored interior??)
1998 Buick Ultra - Gray Interior
2000 Buick Ultra - Gray Interior
2003 Cadillac DTS - Gray Interior
2005 Cadillac STS - Gray Interior
2007 GL-450 - Gray Interior
(( time for a change ????? ))
CZCZ
Old 09-08-2009, 11:20 AM

GL550
Originally Posted by czcz
I was crusin' through the ML forum and found info on there from a fellow who works in Plant 1 where they make the ML and R class. He states that Plant 2 makes the GL class and that they are on a one shift per day, four day work week. So, I'll just sit back and wait unless one pops up locally somewhere.
Thanks to all for the input....(Geez, am I the only one who likes the ash colored interior??)
1998 Buick Ultra - Gray Interior
2000 Buick Ultra - Gray Interior
2003 Cadillac DTS - Gray Interior
2005 Cadillac STS - Gray Interior
2007 GL-450 - Gray Interior
(( time for a change ????? ))
CZCZ
Yes I believe you are
Old 09-08-2009, 03:48 PM

'12 ML350
Ironically, I wanted black interior but the car that my dealer found for me has the ash interior...so I am settling for the ash colour! ;-)
Old 09-10-2009, 01:10 PM

2013 ML350
Smile

I'm glad to hear that you got the Ash interior, by now I was begining to believe that they were going to discontinue it. I betcha they do before November.
Just saw a post on the ML board that a fellow took delivery of an ordered ML way before the scheduled build date.......maybe there's hope for me yet.
As an aside to the ash interior, I had a problem with my blue jeans rubbing off on the drivers seat and I couldn't get the blue off no matter what cleaner I used, but then on this board about two years ago, someone suggested to me that I use one of those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers..........worked like a charm.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:55 PM

2010 GL 350
For those who have a GL on order, you may not be aware that Mercedes has opened up special orders for the GL and ML. You have to specifically ask the dealer for this list, it is not available on the website, but it is in the dealers ordering website. It includes 2 color leather interior, Distronic, Adaptive suspension, off-road package except on the 350, heated and ventilated seats, and a few other items I cannot remember. There is an additional $250 charge for special ordering, but it may make your GL more comfortable for you. Ask the dealer--it is available, but not advertized.