2009 GL320 - First Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 03:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E500 4matic, 2014 GL320, 2013 C300, 2015 Stingray
2009 GL320 - First Impressions

Well,

Just filled the first tank...had the truck for about 4 weeks now. Overal VERY happy with the purchase.

Some initial observations:

Gas - 22 mpg, mainly highway, 70-80mph - not too bad considering the lead foot!

Pleasant surprises:
Steering really is good, very responsive for a big truck IMO
Ride is superb, if you closed your eyes you couldn't tell if you're in a S-class or a truck
Turning radius is much better than i thought it would be

Dislikes:

TPMS - how does it not have individiual pressure readings for all 4 wheels (i know it does for 2010)
COMAND is slow - only in a benz can you pick a radio station via a preset (satellite), and then wait 2-3 seconds
BACKUP CAMERA - also slow, by the time i start reversing the camera just kicks in
STEERING WHEEL FUNCTION - not being able to choose the source for sound (AM/FM/SAT/etc.) via a button on the steering wheel is a annoyance for a surfer like myself. Most cars allow you to do that.

I'm curious to hear what the rest of the GL crowd thinks...

Aceman
Old 09-11-2009, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ML 500
Originally Posted by aceman
Well,

Just filled the first tank...had the truck for about 4 weeks now. Overal VERY happy with the purchase.

Pleasant surprises:
Ride is superb, if you closed your eyes you couldn't tell if you're in a S-class or a truck

Dislikes:

TPMS - how does it not have individiual pressure readings for all 4 wheels (i know it does for 2010)
COMAND is slow - only in a benz can you pick a radio station via a preset (satellite), and then wait 2-3 seconds
BACKUP CAMERA - also slow, by the time i start reversing the camera just kicks in
STEERING WHEEL FUNCTION - not being able to choose the source for sound (AM/FM/SAT/etc.) via a button on the steering wheel is a annoyance for a surfer like myself. Most cars allow you to do that.

Aceman

i'm with you on the tpms. but at least the 2010's have the advance tpms so it shows the individual tire pressures. i wonder if its possible to get the new sensors and update the instrument cluster to show individual pressure.

backup camera, mine turns on quickly... more quickly than my old 2007 ml500.

and i too would like to have the ability to change through radio/sat/ipod/cd/etc.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
I'm still happy with my 2007 GL320 CDI. If I don't "lead foot" it off the light and wait for the computer to completely set everything up, it accelerates better than just about anything I've driven. The handling is "big Mercedes" all around, which is to say it's a lot more agile than just about any big American car (and IMHO most small ones, too) but it's hardly a Porsche or M3. Turning radius is, I think, about where it should be. Making it smaller would probably require a shorter wheelbase, and that would affect the gorgeous freeway handling.

The COMAND system and radio, especially on the aught-7, are absolute dinosaurs. I don't know what, if anything, to do about that short of completely replacing the head unit, and that would screw up a bunch of things (damned integrated COMAND!) Seating is a teensy bit narrow and the cruise control stalk is way too close to the turn signal. After two years and nearly 70,000 miles, I still whack one when I mean to hit the other. The actual performance of the stereo is on par with what I expect from a factory system - that is to say, good without being outstanding. Some of the "features" of the GL (like the sun roof stopping to back up on auto-close - sometimes!) still mystify me, but it's usually a "discussion" about who's taking the GL when it comes time to do highway driving; the wife, who really loves her 2004 RX330, has a tough time deciding on that versus mine when she's going cross-country (though she does prefer her smaller truck in the city).

I hate having a black car in Arizona. Not because of the heat but because of the amazing visibility of the inevitable spider-webs that come from all the sand out here. But it is a very slick looking truck, with the 18" chrome wheels (DAMNED hard to find tires for that - more later), the polished stainless trim, and the chrome fins. I also think MB have got vinyl right with MB Tex. It fools everyone. And I like the "tan."

Right now, I have four tires with four different levels of wear (thank you Discount Tire for their road hazard, really worth it) but they're not the OEM Michelins. Driving with one that's too worn to properly balance is, well, wrong. Probably dangerous. So I'm going back to the performance tire, which wears quickly, because it rides so much nicer. But finding that size tire in a good brand/model is really tough. It's got to have the right speed and load rating or I say "no," so that cuts a lot of them out. Why not just put nice big 20s on to start with? Probably ride, with the cushier tires (if that's a word), but it's still annoying.

Anyway, you asked, so there it is, pretty much my opinion of the beast.

STP
Old 09-14-2009, 04:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Some of the "features" of the GL (like the sun roof stopping to back up on auto-close - sometimes!) still mystify me,

STP
STP, You've probably already looked into this, but does the backing up of your sunroof have anything to do with the "synchronization" of the motor? My rear windows were doing that too and then I read in the manual that you have to sync the windows if they've been blocked or your battery has died/been disconnected. You just close the window and hold the switch for a second and the problem is solved. Maybe your track caused some resistance and threw your motor out of sync?
Old 09-14-2009, 04:54 PM

15 GL550
Well,

Pleasant surprises:

Dislikes:

Aceman
I agree with your impressions but my backup camera isn't slow. Only on startup when the whole command system is booting up. Yes, the sat radio is so annoying that I can't stand to change the channel. It takes an hour to go through all the stations. I think the music stinks on Sirus too but that's another issue.

I've been on two long road trips (500+ miles in each direction) and that is where the 320 really shines. I agree that it's like driving a sedan and it seems like it makes you a better driver than you actually are because it just wants to go where you point it. The steering isn't too tight and certainly isn't loose. For a big SUV, I couldn't ask for a better engine/chassis/suspension for cruising on the freeway.

The turbo lag takes some getting used to when accelerating from a stop but the sound of the engine and the fuel mileage make up for it. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to accelerate from a stop. When you really gun it, the RPM's go way above the engines ideal power band. I've tried to use the paddles to shift up earlier, but the transmission ignores the input.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:34 AM

GL320
I think all of the impressions are spot on. As far as command, what it needs is scroll wheel like on all other newer MB. Also it would've been much better if command screen was higher, but that cannot be changed without redesigning dashboard. Coming from 5 series I really miss high screen and scroll wheel, just too many buttons to get used to. 2010 has a lot more functionality in its computer, I wish there was software update for 2009, I think system is essentially the same.

As far as turbo lag from the stop, what I find is that you have to be a bit more aggressive when you driving off after first starting the engine. The transmission is adaptive and it seems to be more responsive like that; gunning it will not work because of the single turbo setup, you have to be gradual to a degree.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 43221B
Maybe your track caused some resistance and threw your motor out of sync?
It's possible - but it's also kind of random. Like today - I dropped all the windows and opened up the roof because the temp was nice this morning, but as it heated up and I wanted A/C I closed everything and the roof just closed. Possibly it's because I was in motion and it stops if I'm not moving or in park? Just thought of that - I'll have to check!

STP
Old 09-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Banned

2008 GL 320 CDI
It's possible - but it's also kind of random. Like today - I dropped all the windows and opened up the roof because the temp was nice this morning, but as it heated up and I wanted A/C I closed everything and the roof just closed. Possibly it's because I was in motion and it stops if I'm not moving or in park? Just thought of that - I'll have to check!

STP
Mine did that a few times a couple of months ago, stopping about 2/3 of the way closed. Hasn't done it since. Can't figure out what caused it.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:05 PM
Banned

2008 GL 320 CDI
I agree with all these impressions. My only beef with the truck is the very rough downshifting of the transmission when the engine is cold, which appears just to be a characteristic of the diesel engine/transmission combo. Otherwise, a wonderful vehicle all around.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:56 AM

Well,

In my Lincoln with sirius, it was slow as well when changing stations. If anything it seems faster with my GL. this has to do more with satellite reception or antenna placement than anything else.

As for changing source with steering, it would be nice but i don't think any benz let's you do that, does it? Not the three I have owned.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:10 AM

'97 E320
Our '09 has been great, but I'm still not a fan of the 7-speed automatic for stop & go. It's much tougher to find that perfect pedal position for around-town acceleration, unlike the 5spd auto in our '05 E cdi where the ratios and shift points under various throttle conditions are near-perfect. 7spd works great on the highway, though.

Just drove my cousin's new '10 Jetta TDI with the DSG-auto, and it is an absolutely ideal transmission for a diesel, with immediate shifts at the perfect shift points for desired acceleration.

Other than that, our '09 Bluetec has been driving like a dream. Love all the upgrades and options available on '09 (especially ADS), but wish that ventilated/MC front seats and heated rear seats were available. Definitely prefer the look of the '09 to the '10 model, except for the LED taillights.

If you aren't already, buy your adblue from VW dealerships in 2.5 gallon containers for about $15ea instead of 0.5 gallon containers from MB for $12/ea. You'll need a long-neck funnel to fill the tank since the 2.5 gal containers don't have the spout that fits into the tank.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by stickygreen
If you aren't already, buy your adblue from VW dealerships in 2.5 gallon containers for about $15ea instead of 0.5 gallon containers from MB for $12/ea. You'll need a long-neck funnel to fill the tank since the 2.5 gal containers don't have the spout that fits into the tank.
Exellent tip (though I'm not an AdBlue addict with my CDI).

Was the Jetta AdBlue (whatever VW's calling it) or just TDI still? I've been very tempted by VW's diesel offerings because they're sedans. I know MB's got the E (an excellent car), but BMW has brought a 3-series sedan in to the mix and is threatening more, and VW has a nice lineup that includes the Touareg (is that how it's spelled) with the massive V10.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E500 4matic, 2014 GL320, 2013 C300, 2015 Stingray
doesn't it make you sick...

2.5 Gallons - $ 15.00 from VW
2.5 Gallons - $ 60.00 from benz

As if we're not taxed enough, once you buy the car you start paying the mercedes tax

Aceman
Old 10-21-2009, 09:14 PM

'97 E320
Was the Jetta AdBlue (whatever VW's calling it) or just TDI still? I've been very tempted by VW's diesel offerings because they're sedans. I know MB's got the E (an excellent car), but BMW has brought a 3-series sedan in to the mix and is threatening more, and VW has a nice lineup that includes the Touareg (is that how it's spelled) with the massive V10.
Touareg with v10 tdi is no longer made...last year was '07. Now it's a v6 tdi.

The new Jetta TDI is VERY impressive and makes do without any adblue due to the small displacement. The DSG really adds to the experience.

2.5 Gallons - $ 15.00 from VW
2.5 Gallons - $ 60.00 from benz

As if we're not taxed enough, once you buy the car you start paying the mercedes tax
Not quite...both MB and VW sell the AdBlue 1/2 gal containers for $12-$15 each, but the bottles have an intricate filler neck that fits perfectly into the adblue tank and is essentially spill-proof and contamination-proof. Only VW/Audi sells the 2.5 gallon jugs, but they are exactly that - cheap 2.5 gallon plastic jugs that require a clean, long neck funnel to get the solution into the tank.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Touareg with v10 tdi is no longer made...last year was '07. Now it's a v6 tdi.
And I do miss it!

Only VW/Audi sells the 2.5 gallon jugs, but they are exactly that - cheap 2.5 gallon plastic jugs that require a clean, long neck funnel to get the solution into the tank.
And how big is the tank? (I know I'll get flamed for this one, it is almost certainly mentioned elsewhere.)
Old 10-22-2009, 06:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Big enough to not require filling ['normal' driving behavior] between factory recommended oil change intervals. (another 'Oh - by the way' for the dealer to add to your oil change bill)
Old 10-23-2009, 01:21 PM

15 GL550

And how big is the tank? (I know I'll get flamed for this one, it is almost certainly mentioned elsewhere.)
8.3 US Gal. I've read that they are stocking jugs of generic Adblue known as DEF at truck stops. I'll be checking the price and purity on my next road trip which is about two weeks away. If someone else knows this information, it would be great to hear. I've read that all Travelcenters of America are stocking it.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:56 AM

'97 E320
Just make sure it meets "ISO 22241"
Old 11-06-2009, 08:08 PM

15 GL550
Stopped at a Travelcenters of America today. They are selling 2.5 gal DEF (generic for Adblue) containers for $9.99. You have to buy it in their truck service shop not the retail store. The containers say that it exceeds ISO 22241.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:44 PM

2009 GL320 Bluetec
This is a great tip about price for the adblue. Can an absolute newbie add the fluid to the system, or does the service have to be done by MB?
Old 11-23-2009, 09:48 PM

'97 E320
get a narrow, longneck funnel and make sure it's perfectly clean. Adding fluid a piece of cake, just try not to spill.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:56 PM

2009 GL320 Bluetec
I'm probably going to run with that tip later. On my 10,000 mile Service A, the dealership quoted me $239 "plus supplies." Since I have Prepaid Service, I said OK. Then I got a bill for $135 worth of "supplies." I questioned it and it turned out it was 4.5 gallons of AdBlue at $15 per half gallon. Well, Prepaid Service covers that for the GL320 as well, so after speaking to the Service Advisor I got a revised bill of $0.

All's well that ends well, but it certainly was a reminder: when I get to the first service interval that I have to pay for, I'll be sure to top off the AdBlue tank with the cheap VW version before I go to the dealer.

At $15 per half gallon, it's not meeting the hype it had early on, when Mercedes and others claimed that the refill would cost about the same per gallon as diesel. Diesel is $2.60 right now -- AdBlue is $30.00 at the dealership.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:34 PM

not blown away

GL320 is primarily my wife's vehicle
agree with slow back up camera

my wife took the car in after it failed to start (no explanation) and apparently they upgraded the comand software. the back up camera display now has two vertical and one horizontal lines to guide in reverse.

clearly the mileage is amazing 18 around town 26-27 with cruise control on hwy. i drive a 2003 land cruiser and i'm lucky to get 15 mpg down hill with the wind at my back.

i'm not sold on the reliability of this vehicle, and, since i recommended this vehicle to my wife, i am getting an earful: it failed to start again yesterday. MB roadside assistance started the gl without a problem.

needless to say, i'm driving the car now, and my wife is in the land cruiser.
we'll see how it behaves.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:38 AM

'97 E320
Is your wife's GL a 2009 model?

Thus far, the only issue with ours has been a faulty SRS sensor...knock on wood
Old 12-07-2009, 11:50 AM

gl reliability

we also had an SRS fault
its a 2009

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2009 GL320 - First Impressions