How to put GL on jack stands?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 06:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
09 GL450
How to put GL on jack stands?

Hi,

This discussion started in this brake thread https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...ke-job-gl.html, but I think it deserves a separate thread. It's a must know for all DIYers.

Given a GL truck, how do you put it on jack stands? Let's say I want all 4 wheels off the ground with uncompressed suspension. There are 4 stock locations we can use. The question is where to put a jack to lift the truck? Obviously, we can not use the same location both for jack and stand at the same time. Does the repair manual list any alternatives? With my other cars and trucks I can sometimes use front/rear subframe jacking points to lift front/rear wheels at once. Is there a similar solution here? Ideas?

Thanks
Old 09-21-2009, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
The repair manual species a four-arm hydraulic lift!

Last edited by lkchris; 09-21-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Originally Posted by GLguy
Hi,

This discussion started in this brake thread https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...ke-job-gl.html, but I think it deserves a separate thread. It's a must know for all DIYers.

Given a GL truck, how do you put it on jack stands? Let's say I want all 4 wheels off the ground with uncompressed suspension. There are 4 stock locations we can use. The question is where to put a jack to lift the truck? Obviously, we can not use the same location both for jack and stand at the same time. Does the repair manual list any alternatives? With my other cars and trucks I can sometimes use front/rear subframe jacking points to lift front/rear wheels at once. Is there a similar solution here? Ideas?
Craftsman makes a jack stand system called "Lift N Secure" that has one lift point. I bought it on sale for $99 (usally about $200) but I think it has been discontinued. I just saw one about a week ago though in a Sears Hardware so they are still out there. It comes with two stands and you can use the jack itself to lift one point (3 points total). You pull the hydraulic jack out from under the stand. I haven't lifted my GL yet but I intend to when it's time to rotate the tires. I think they are discontinuing the jack so you might still be able to find them on sale. I don't think you can get them online anymore. The reviews were bad for the system because people weren't reading the instruction manual. It's simple to use if you read the instructions, confusting if you don't which is why it's no longer for sale.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:41 AM

09 GL450
Originally Posted by lkchris
The repair manual species a four-arm hydraulic lift!
I wish I could fit it in my garage I need something I can use when doing break jobs, rotating tires, etc
Old 09-22-2009, 01:56 AM

09 GL450
Originally Posted by 43221B
Craftsman makes a jack stand system called "Lift N Secure" that has one lift point. I bought it on sale for $99 (usally about $200) but I think it has been discontinued. I just saw one about a week ago though in a Sears Hardware so they are still out there. It comes with two stands and you can use the jack itself to lift one point (3 points total). You pull the hydraulic jack out from under the stand. I haven't lifted my GL yet but I intend to when it's time to rotate the tires. I think they are discontinuing the jack so you might still be able to find them on sale. I don't think you can get them online anymore. The reviews were bad for the system because people weren't reading the instruction manual. It's simple to use if you read the instructions, confusting if you don't which is why it's no longer for sale.
Yep, it looks like it's been discontinued. I'll check my local store. Let me know how it works out for you. It looks like this thing thing is HEAVY. Plus, I wonder about the range, whether it's high enough.

If not using this system, where else can we place a jack stand? I guess MB expects everyone to get a lift to work on this truck
Old 09-22-2009, 09:22 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Originally Posted by GLguy
Yep, it looks like it's been discontinued. I'll check my local store. Let me know how it works out for you. It looks like this thing thing is HEAVY. Plus, I wonder about the range, whether it's high enough.
It lifts my 07 4Runner easily which is higher and probably capable of more articulation than the GL. Each jack/stand is rated for 2 Tons. I'll let you know though about the GL.