GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL320 Bluetec No Weather Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 07:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 E43 AMG
GL320 Bluetec No Weather Tires

So after sloshing around after the latest snow storm, I find myself not very happy with the control of this vehicle in snow and ice. Mind you I've lived in New England for 8 years with only rear wheel drive vehicles. My last two SUVs were the Big Infinity QX and a Chevy Suburban and they had markedly better control in winter weather.

I ascribe the difficulty to the run flats as I have friends with the 450 that have none of these problems. Having been in touch with my dealer, Tire Rack, and Mercedes customer service, apparently there is no contingency for run flat winter tires. They will not either extend my Mercedes tire/rim warrantee to any other tires I might use, which sucks.

What do you think is best? Continue with these or go spare-less with better winter tires? I really think they f'd up with this thing. Would any reasonable person trade the ad-blue system for having winter tires that worked and also the ablility to have a spare? This should have been disclosed at the time of sale.

So far no call back from the manager at Mercedes Customer Service..... I'll keep you posted.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:22 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Originally Posted by maxmini
Would any reasonable person trade the ad-blue system for having winter tires that worked and also the ablility to have a spare?
Sorry to say,this is why I got in on an '08.

If there is no answer from your service manager, have him call a dealer in Quebec to see what they are doing. A spare and winter tires are manditory there...
Old 12-23-2009, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 956 Likes on 574 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
I would ditch the RFTs and buy a set of winter tyres plus a can of 'fix-a-flat'. It is very uncommon for a modern radial tyre to experience catastrophic failure, (not saying it can't happen), and a slow leak can be managed by the 'green slime'. You'll get much better traction and a better ride out of the deal.
Bish
Old 12-23-2009, 11:33 AM
MKW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 GL450
Originally Posted by thebishman
I would ditch the RFTs and buy a set of winter tyres plus a can of 'fix-a-flat'. It is very uncommon for a modern radial tyre to experience catastrophic failure, (not saying it can't happen), and a slow leak can be managed by the 'green slime'. You'll get much better traction and a better ride out of the deal.
Bish
If the nail is farther than 3/4 " from edge of the tire side wall , probably true. If the nail is at lateral edge of tread /near sidewall- "fix -a -flat" slime may not work , esp on such a heavy vehicle.