"BlueTec" vs. "BlueEfficiency"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
600 SWB
"BlueTec" vs. "BlueEfficiency"

Why do the pre-2010 diesel GLs that I have seen have "BlueTec" fendor badges and the 2010 ones (like mine) have "BlueEfficiency" logos? In addition, the 2010 ML350s that I have seen have "BlueTec" badges and the ML450 and S400 Hybrids have "BlueEfficiency" badges.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
I'll take a stab. Detroit Diesel is a subsidiary of Daimler and their new truck engines, 2010+ are branded with the Bluetec trademark. http://www.detroitdiesel.com/emissions/default.aspx The logo looks similar to what is on the side of our 09 GLs. My guess is that they want to brand their truck engines differently than their Mercedez-Benz products. Not sure why the MLs haven't switched the logo though. Might just be a production time issue.

Also, I have 9850 miles on my 09 GL and I topped it off with DEF today. It is a piece of cake. It took just under 2 X 2.5 gallon jugs of DEF. Both were purchased at Travel Centers of America (in their Truck parts shop, not at their retail store) for $9.98 ea. If you're lucky like me, you might even get one of the employees to ask you where your "tractor" is so they can help carry it out for you. Total fill time was about 10 minutes or less. The jugs come with a plastic hose that snaps hard into the top of the jug. I shortened the hose by cutting it and used a medium neck length funnel. You can kink the hose until you're ready to pour. The DEF has no smell and supposedly is no more toxic that diesel fuel. The only issue is that it is hard to tell when the tank is full. You'll hear it coming up the fill tube and that's the best way to know when you are full. A little ran over on me but the tank appears to be an external tank and it just ran down the outside of the Adblue tank. No big deal but you might want to place a piece of cardboard under the adblue tank in case the DEF leaves a stain (its clear though so I doubt it would). The top cap (first one you have to take off) has bizarre threads. Make sure you are lifting up when you unscrew it and it will come right off.

By the way, I haven't towed anything but I've spent a lot of time idling. So, you really shouldn't need any more DEF at 10,000 miles than 5 gallons unless you've done a lot of towing. My experience is consistent with other reports I've read on DEF mileage.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'97 E320
Bluetec refers to MB's new line of environmentally-friendly diesel engines. BlueEfficiency refers to other factors contributing to increased mpg and decreased emissions, i.e. low rolling resistance tires, etc.

But I don't see how a full-size SUV with porky 20" runflat tires would qualify...
Old 01-22-2010, 03:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

600 SWB
I guess that's why the GL350 actually has a 3.0 litre V6 and not a 3.5 litre. And that my CL600 has a 5.5 twin turbo and not a 6.0...and that my 600 has a 6.3 litre and not a 6.0...and that my BMW 135i has a 3.0 litre twin turbo and not a 3.5 litre inline 6 (???).
Old 01-23-2010, 10:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Blue efficiency vehicles have some things "lightened" or reduced and marketed as to reduce the so called "bad footprint"

Here is an excerpt from an article I read. "In the Blue Efficiency models Mercedes shaved weight with lighter windows, less sound-proofing, and a thinner windshield. To reduce aerodynamic drag the car was lowered, has part of the grill blocked, and had some protrusions like mirrors and door handles optimized. This all makes for a more efficient car that the public is likely not to notice."

When I read other info on it, I got the impression that the Blue Efficiency versions were the "stay competitive through the recession" models.

Bluetec is the name given to the clean low emissions diesel technology now sold in the US.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

600 SWB
That's so bizarre because I do not believe the GL350 has thinner windows or less sound deadening. And it does not appear any lower than the 2009. I think the "BlueEfficiency" thing is all marketing here in the U.S.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBs
BlueEFFICIENCY is just a name for efficient mobility.

Here's a blurb on the Daimler server:

http://www.daimler.com/dccom/0-5-120...0-0-0-0-0.html