GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Perplexing oil change issue; anyone experience this?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes GL 450
Perplexing oil change issue; anyone experience this?

Hello everyone. I’m new to this forum as I just picked up a used 2007 GL450 with 42,000 miles on it last week. I debated between the Cayenne, Range Rover and X5 but after reading this forum, I was convinced to get the GL. No regrets so far but I did run into a strange issue. Along with air and cabin filters, I did an oil change last week because I had no idea how long the current oil had been in the engine.
I got underneath the car and removed the bottom panel to see which way the oil plug faced. Seeing that it faced the front of the car I drove the rear onto Rhino Ramps to tilt the care forward. I do this with all my oil changes to ensure I get everything out.
Removed the drain plug and oil filter and let it drain for a good thirty minutes while I cleaned the garage.
Put a new copper washer onto the plug and torque it to 25nm.
Put the new oil filter on with the new gaskets and torque it to 25nm.
Reading the manual and the forum, it shows that it takes nine quarts. Now here is where it gets strange.
I pour in 8.5 quarts of Mobile 1 0w-40, waited a good 5 minutes and checked the dipstick. Nothing shows up. I pour in the remaining quart so we are up to nine quarts. Still nothing on the dipstick but maybe it’s because I’m declined on the ramps so no big deal right? I start it up and back it off the ramps and let it run for a few minutes; no leaks so I button everything up. I let it set for a good twenty minutes while I drop off the old oil. I come back and check the dipstick, again nothing. So I pour in another half a quart, let it sit and still nothing. Pour in the remaining quart; so we are up to 10 quarts and I finally get it to show at the minimum mark on the dipstick. Reading the manual, it states that it would take two quarts from the lowest level to the highest level on the dipstick. So to bring it up to the max on my car, it would take 12 quarts, not the 9 that others had posted or what is in the manual. I’m tempted to leave it at 10 quarts and be done with it since the oil still registers on the minimum line. Has anyone seen or experience anything like this and can chime in?
Old 02-23-2010, 07:19 PM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
S 550, S65 Coupe
I had the exact same thing happen last weekend. 10 quarts and is was just at the bottom of the dip stick. I cecked it the next day and was at the top of full mark on the dip stick. Must just take a little time to get to the bottom of the pan after an oil change.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 GL 550
Apologies for the basic question. Did you remember to put oil in the oil filter? Could that account for the extra oil you had to add? You sound pretty experienced, so assume you did do this.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 ML350 4matic
Call me naive I guess.....I have changed oil on American cars and have "primed" the metal canister filter and have changed the oil in my ML350....how do you " put oil in the oil filter? " ?
Am I missing something ? Seems awfully messy to presoak the filter prior to installation.

Last edited by Benzo 003; 02-24-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:52 AM

Mercedes GL 450
Originally Posted by slim nicky
Apologies for the basic question. Did you remember to put oil in the oil filter? Could that account for the extra oil you had to add? You sound pretty experienced, so assume you did do this.
on metal canister filters yes, on cartridge type filters which the gl450 has, no. how can soaking the filter in oil resolve a three quart discrepancy?
Old 02-24-2010, 11:23 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Did you try checking the oil level via the MFD?
Old 02-24-2010, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by didimao0072000
on metal canister filters yes, on cartridge type filters which the gl450 has, no. how can soaking the filter in oil resolve a three quart discrepancy?
It doesn't and it was a silly question.

The engine will pump the filter canister full of oil as soon as it's started.

And, you can't "fill" the canister in any event, as any oil you put in it immediately drains to the oil pan.

And, the dipstick doesn't check the oil in the filter, so if you added it all to the oil pan and didn't start the engine, it would read high, not low.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:39 PM

2008 ML350 4matic
I was hoping to hear from Slim....wanted to hear what his/her method is. Still scratching my head....
Old 03-02-2010, 05:54 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 Black SLK 55 AMG, Black 2015 GL 550, 2011 Blue GLK 350
I don't know if it pertains to the gas versions like you have but I have the GL 320 diesel. Issues we had with these engines were that the low oil sensor would light up on the dash telling me that the oil was low and to check it at the next fillup. When I checked it, the level of oil was right on the full mark??!!! Took it to the dealer and there was an issue with the position of the sensor being too high inside the engine causing a false alarm of low oil. The fix? Replace the dipstick with a shorter one allowing you to put more oil in before showing full thus not getting the false low oil reading. If the gas versions had the same issue that would account for needing the extra oil to fill to the full mark. Dunno, just a guess on my part.

Also, depending on the position of the oil filter, if it is verticle with the threads on top, when it is installed and oil put into the pan, the initial reading will be falsely high on the stick until started and the oil goes into the filter and stays. I'm not sure of the position of your gas model oil filter but if it is horizontal it won't hold much oil anyway even after started and filled, most will drain back into the pan.

Hope this helps
Old 09-07-2010, 12:25 PM

'07 GL450, '86 190e -5spd, '93 190e Sportline, '08 335i vert/JB3, '01 325xiT, '96 Lumina -bwahaha
sorry to revive a dead tread but...

I read this thread a week or so ago, and thought of it as helpful background info when it came time to change my oil....

I changed the oil on my wife's GL450 this weekend and experienced a similar situation... I poured in 8.5, got no reading on the stick, waited 5mins, added more...etc, etc... I ended up putting in 10 quarts before I got it to read mid-level on the dip stick. (yes, it was on a level surface)

Fast forward to this morning... wife calls from the car saying smoke is pouring out the hood as she pulled into her office (18 mile drive). I immediately go there to find the passenger side of the engine covered in oil, and puddles of it on the parking lot under the engine. It looked as if it had been forced out the oil fill cap, which I immediately confirmed was properly screwed on. Judging by the mess, I'd say it expelled at least 1/2 quart, maybe more. I checked the dipstick again in the parking lot and it's now reading over max, at just the point where the red plastic indicator attaches to the braided steel cable.

I consider myself very knowledgable when it comes to automotive repair and maintenance. I've done engine rebuilds, motor and tranmission swaps and generally consider myself capable of just about any automotive repair job, so this experience was a bit humbling and embarrasing... No doubt I overfilled it.

There is definately something peculiar about how the oil makes it's way down to the pan, and I suspect a good quantify had not drained to bottom when I first checked it. Where I screwed up was not running the motor a few minutes and then letting it sit after the initial fill of 8.5 quarts before taking a reading. I think I also wanted to believe that it would hold 10 quarts (more is always better, LOL).

Anyway, just thought I'd share for anyone else contemplating a DIYoil change in this beast.

Happy Motoring!
Old 09-07-2010, 12:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 Land Cruiser, 2007 GL450 [SOLD], 2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x4 Limited, 2009 Corolla LE
GL takes about ten quarts and reading should be between min and max. Make sure you have the latest dipstick. There is a new version of it. Dealer replaced mine about an year ago when I went in for some other recall stuff. I use pump extractor to change the oil and I have been filling with 10 quarts. There is no need to prime the filter.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:35 PM

'07 GL450, '86 190e -5spd, '93 190e Sportline, '08 335i vert/JB3, '01 325xiT, '96 Lumina -bwahaha
I don't know whether I have the short or the long dipstick, but the 10 quarts I put in was definately too much. I just got done cleaning the valve covers, front axles and steering rack and the entire under side. The underside was coated with oil to about 3/4 the way back...figure I lost about a quart on the road. After cleaning, I drained out a bit more than a quart and it's still reading exactly at MAX. I suppose it's possible the old oil didn't drain completely, but I drain by pulling the oil pan plug and it was dripping at a slow rate (1 drip every 5-10 seconds) before a put the bolt back. After looking closely at the Oil fill cap I can't see how it could have all leaked out of there, unless the cap was extemely loose, which is wasn't. I'm sort of perplexed by this whole ordeal. Well, I'm off to take it for a test drive... gotta burn the oil smell off the exhuast before the wife gets it back.

Maybe I better just stick to the simple stuff like the motor swap I have underway in my 190e track car. Whoda thunk.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:10 PM

2006 E55, 2007 GL450
Just did this today. Before extracting the oil, i checked the level wuth the dipstick and it was smack in the middle of min and max. I thibk the key is to let the oil settle completely in order to get an accurate reading. I did this first thing in the morning - making sure not to start the car before doing anything.
After waiting an hour an a half for my extractor to suck everything out (9 qts), I refilled with 9qts of 0w40, then checked the dipstick. The new oil was exactly at the same level as the old oil when I started.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:06 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
When refilling after an oil & filter change (suction extractor, always) I refill with 8+ quarts until I see the oil on the dipstick. Warm it up then let it sit overnight, reread the oil level and fill to midway up the dipstick hash marks with (usually) the remains of the 9th quart. If there is any left over I stick it in the back to be used in a few months when I might need to add a bit.
It will not hurt the engine to run it after an oil change with 'low' oil as long as you can see the oil touching the dipstick. I have never gotten a 'check oil level' light either from this technique.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:08 AM

2008 ML350 4matic
Why is everyone so concerned with what's on the dipstick 10 seconds after the oil change? You know the engine calls for a specific amount. Pour it in and go. You know it didn't leak out or you didn't pour it into the radiator or anything crazy. A M/B engine will tell you if the oil level is low.

Give it a few miles and check it later if you really need to see it. Too much oil in the pan can froth up and can lead to a catastrophe.

Funny story....worked for Giant Auto in 1986...sold a guy a case of oil and filter....an hour later, he was back for more oil. When asked what happened, he replied that the engine wasn't full yet, he couldn't see any oil in the valve cover....honest to god.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:59 PM

2008 GL 320 CDI Black/Black
Originally Posted by Benzo 003
Why is everyone so concerned with what's on the dipstick 10 seconds after the oil change?
Haha - that's exactly what I was thinking! If the guide tells you 8 1/2 - dump it in, run the motor do your checks and enjoy! These things tell you when you are low...trust baby, trust!
Old 03-05-2015, 01:08 AM

GL350
Originally Posted by new02c32

Fast forward to this morning... wife calls from the car saying smoke is pouring out the hood as she pulled into her office (18 mile drive). I immediately go there to find the passenger side of the engine covered in oil, and puddles of it on the parking lot under the engine. It looked as if it had been forced out the oil fill cap, which I immediately confirmed was properly screwed on.
Its an old post but might help someone.
Same story here.
Turned out ,the filter cover gasket was placed wrong.
It goes on the 2nd groove from the top ,not the top one.