GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Warping effect on windshield

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Warping effect on windshield

Hello group. I got my 2007 GL450 just about a month ago. I am very happy with it, but I have noticed that there is a warping effect from the windshield on the driver's side. It is very distracting while I'm driving and a couple of times I have experienced motion sickness from the effect.

The windshield looks to be factory original with MB markings. There are no dings or marks that I can see that would suggest that it has had been repaired.

I was wondering if anybody else out there has had this problem?

Could I have a defective windshield and most likely the replacement will be fine? How common is this? Are there any recalls to be aware of related to this? Should this be covered under the warranty?

I haven't taken it to the dealer yet, because I want to be properly informed; in case they try to give me the run around.

Thanks for your input. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
probably not covered unless the original factory warranty is still in effect. This is the first windshield distortion issue I've heard about on any GL. It is rare.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:33 PM

K3 05 E55 sold, 09 GL550
did you noticed that when you buy the car ? try contract to previous owner if He had good relationship with MB dealer. He may help you out .
Old 05-04-2010, 03:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lately, I have seen more and more original MB windshields with distorted areas when viewing through them from certain angles. If the car is still under warranty, replacement, most likely, should be covered.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:45 PM

I have this issue. It's in front of the passenger area, but only affects me when I am turning left and looking right quickly to check for traffic. Just once or twice a week. It just looks a bit wavy.

Originally Posted by Petmerctech
Lately, I have seen more and more original MB windshields with distorted areas when viewing through them from certain angles. If the car is still under warranty, replacement, most likely, should be covered.