GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL350 handling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 11:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL350 handling

We're considering an eventual replacement for our Sienna minivan. The kids are getting a little older, and my wife is ready for a different car. We still want the availability of a usable 3rd row, and don't want a gas hog (already have a Cayenne Turbo and a 928S4 that average below 12-13 MPG).

It's looking like a choice between a GL350 and an Audi Q7 TDI. We like the looks of both - the GL is very distinguished, and the Q7 sporty and bold. The interiors are also attractive in their very different ways. Size and comfort in the 2nd and 3rd rows are a no contest winner for the GL.

My biggest issue with the GL is that its ride is so soft. I was surprised, because I drove a GL550 a week ago, and loved the handling for a large SUV. What I found was that the GL350 was a softer feeling ride than even the comfort setting on the GL550. At least that was my impression. In contrast, the Q7 has a sporty, quick handling feeling to it.

Is anyone aware of aftermarket mods to the GL suspension to stiffen the ride? Not looking for anything like an X5, just something approaching the GL550. All I could find were lowering options, and I'm not convinced that they would accomplish what I want.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350 Coupe, 2010 GL350 Bluetec
You can special order Adaptive Damping System for GL350. We have it and it really stiffens the ride a lot.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,077 Likes on 864 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Larger diameter wheels with lower profile tires make a HUGE difference in handling on the GL. I went from 19" 275/55's to 22" 305/40's and the change totally transformed the car in a good way. The handling is great for such a large vehicle.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:15 PM

2011 GL350 Bluetech, 2000 Porsche 911 C2, 2005 Honda S2000
Originally Posted by fs1013
You can special order Adaptive Damping System for GL350. We have it and it really stiffens the ride a lot.
I agree. I have the ADS option for my 2011 350 too. It's really a nice button to have especially if you're looking for a blend of comfort and stiff rides. It's only a $750 option since the air springs come standard. I have it on Sport when I'm alone and switch to Comfort when the kids are in the back for long rides.

I also looked at the Q7 and was really close to getting one if it wasn't for the rear space and poor negotiating room with dealer. Switching from sport to comfort in the Q7 also requires one to use the dial control / screen interface which is a major pain if you like playing with the settings as road conditions change.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Were you charged $250 for special order on ADS (in addition to $750)?
Old 09-14-2010, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by dougpark714
Were you charged $250 for special order on ADS (in addition to $750)?
Oh, good point. Yes, I think I was charged $250 for special order which must have been for ADS since it's not a standard option. So it was $1000.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:37 PM

2013 GL350
We had a Q7 3.6 and it was a fine vehicle. The ride was a bit harsh with steel suspension around town.

We find the GL350 much more comfortable and noticeably quieter on the road.

I would have gotten the ADS option if I had time to order. I found it difficult to locate a P2 GL350 with all the options that I wanted back in March of this year.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
I like the GL's exterior shape, but double check the 2nd row of the GL...depending on passenger height, I found the head rest to be located BELOW my shoulders...and have to raise it to look like a giraffe.

Given that you're coming from your Cayenne Turbo and Sienna, and comparing it to the Q7...I think it's worth paying some attention to this. That was one of the main reasons why we ended up going w/ the R500(plus it was firmer/less floaty than the GL550).

Patrick
Old 09-14-2010, 11:44 PM
EWT

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 14 Audi S4
Nice switch. We just went from an AWD Sienna to a GL550. Even on comfort, the GL 550 handles better and feels more connected to the road than the Sienna did It is a little floaty on comfort though. The difference in power is huge. I'd like to have the Toyo Navigation system and laser cruise back though.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:16 AM

This thread has been very helpful. I've been doing quite a few searches on the ADS, and it there is little available on it. There were reports that the ADS was not offered on the diesel GLs. In fact, one post quoted a Mercedes spokesman writing that Mercedes felt that it wasn't needed on them. I have an email out to my salesman to confirm that it can be ordered. It's good to hear that others have it on their GL350s.

I find myself not it a huge rush to buy the GL350 (or any new car) to replace the Sienna. After a first year of ownership in which it was in and out of the dealership frequently, it has been a very trouble-free car. The thing has massive amounts of space, allowing us to keep an array of extra sporting equipment in the trunk to be used when needed. All this in a car sized not much larger than a big sedan. It is a model of convenience for a family.

In addition, it's difficult for me to imagine a sparkling new car. My kids have spilled countless packets of ketchup and sweet and sour sauce on the seats and carpet. The rear fenders and the sliding doors are pelted with dings from the doors of other shopping mall cars. Unfortunately, my wife has also creased our garage door jam multiple times with the passenger-side bumper and mirror. I would give a new GL a year before it gets it's first scar.

The Sienna has almost 160k miles, so I realize that it won't hold up forever. Since it looks like I'll have to custom order a GL to my liking, I don't want to wait for the Sienna to die on us before buying. I think I'll put an order in after the new year. Looks like I'll go for - White Diamond Metallic/black, Package 2, tow hitch, ADS II, rear entertainment, Parktronic, Lighting Package, Heated Rear Seats, possibly Distronic.

Does anyone know how dealers are discounting custom orders? I thought I'd start making calls to the bigger dealers in the area, then give my local dealer the opportunity to match, or at least come close.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:20 PM

Does anyone know how dealers are discounting custom orders? I thought I'd start making calls to the bigger dealers in the area, then give my local dealer the opportunity to match, or at least come close.[/quote]

My dealer gave me $500 above invoice although I learned that MSRP to Invoice deltas on MB's aren't so much compared to other manufacturers. I was referred by my neighbor who's purchased 5 MBs from this dealer in the last 7 years or so. Also, you might want to check out the sound system. If you're an audiophile, you'll likely be disappointed by the stock system. I don't know if the Harmon Kardon system is any better. I'm now looking into some aftermarket alternatives.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:09 AM

2010 GL350 Steel Gray
I have a 2010 GL350 with the ADS and it is a great option. It has 20 inch runflats which have been great so far. I think the way it comes stock is great and I ordered the specials black wheels with the Steel gray paint as long as I was doing special orders. I got 6% off list or about 1000 over invoice including the special order charge. I don't believe you will do much better on a vehicle you're special ordering. I got P2, hitch, adaptive seats, appearance package, rear entertainment, zenon lights. I was right around 74K.
Those bigger tires are all fine and good but get ready for more wear and more expense when you change them. I think stock is a great compromise for me, but then I live in Staten Island, NY and go into the city alot. Both places have potholes that will rattle your molars with those low profile tires. I like way the air suspension rides here especially. Those bumps get soaked up nicely with the Adaptive set in the comfort mode. Get on the highway and put it in sport for a nice taut feel.

I just sold my1995 BMW M3 after I tortured myself for 15 years driving it around the NYC. If you really want a sports car then buy a Porsche(Cayman S with some good roads to drive it on). It seems everyone today thinks they can have their cake and eat it too. I can actually drive this truck around more quickly and with much less worry. Don't let getting scratches and dents stop you from getting this vehicle. I love the room for my dogs and band equipment and just being able to throw 7 people in the car if I want too.(and not crush the people in the last two seats like sardines in a can). Forget the Q7 or the X5 on this count and thats one of the big reasons I bought this truck. My 06 ML500 has more room then those two as well. Seems Audi's and BMW's engineer like those steep angles in the body that cut off interior space.
The diesel engine is superb. I can't say enough good things about it. Don't fall for the big 550 engine trap. You'll be feeding that sucker gas like its going out of style. Remember your not buying this thing to win drag races. Think about 18 miles around town and 26 on the highway. My gas ML500 is averaging 11.7 around here with my wife and sons heavy foot. Even with my pretty heavy foot I get 18mpg without trying. Pretty damn good for a truck this big.