GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

New Member-2011 GL350 Diesel-Wind Noise :(

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 slk55 amg, 2011 gl350, lambo gallardo, 800hp supercharged viper
This really sucks. I feel for you. I hope this doesnt happen to my new 350 coming soon as its the same car...
Old 11-18-2010, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 QX56 (formerly '11 GL350)
Originally Posted by pteam
This really sucks. I feel for you. I hope this doesnt happen to my new 350 coming soon as its the same car...
I'll cross my fingers for you. I guess it was just our time to get a bad one. We've purchased many a vehicle, both for personal and our company use, and so far have been very lucky. This entire situation is a first for us.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:12 PM

Here's a question for you guys:

When they changed the defective NOX sensor down at the other dealership, afterwards started the weird thudding sound in the back whenever I tapped the breaks or came to a stop. At first, they were thinking it was the adblue 'sloshing' around, which I was pretty adament it was NOT, as it wasn't making that THUD when I brought it down to the dealer to have the NOX sensor changed--yet it miraculously started making the THUD the minute I pulled out of the driveway--with the SAME amount of adblue, I'm assuming as when I pulled it in the day before unless it evaporated overnight..lol...

I casually asked, when they first thought it was because the adblue was going down, that it was making that thud..that if that is the case, I guess you just need to keep topping it off (which I know is ridiculous, but I was still going along with them thinking that thud was the liquid thudding around at each stop--which is just pure ridiculousness) with adblue so you don't get that thudding. He said, yes..that would probably help. So then I explained how silly that seems, that a car, with only 3000 miles on it would need to be continually topped off with adblue so it doesn't thunk--which he agreed-- so I said, but if that is the case, I guess I should just get the adblue myself, from the VW dealer (I've read on this board about it being the same stuff and much cheaper) and he acted confused. Then he called me later and said over and over how I CANNOT ADD ADBLUE (or whatever it is) to my car...IT HAS TO BE MERCEDES BRAND ADBLUE or it will VOID MY ENTIRE WARRANTY on my car..and he said this is VERY IMPORTANT.

Is this true? Honestly, the thudding sound is NOT from my ADBLUE stuff being low, I know it's not--it just started out of the blue after the NOX sensor was replaced-- but is he really serious about it voiding my warranty if I decide to add my own adblue? How can that be?

Just curious what everyones thoughts are on that. I should probably search for my answer, but since this is my own thread, I thought I'd ask here as well.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:26 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Originally Posted by TamZ
Is this true? Honestly, the thudding sound is NOT from my ADBLUE stuff being low, I know it's not--it just started out of the blue after the NOX sensor was replaced-- but is he really serious about it voiding my warranty if I decide to add my own adblue? How can that be?

Just curious what everyones thoughts are on that. I should probably search for my answer, but since this is my own thread, I thought I'd ask here as well.
They sell adblue from pumps at truckstops in Europe. It's standardized. They would never know unless you tell them, which I would not do because there is no reason to add grief to your life...

As for the thudding, to be honest, it does not sound like a liquid thing. More like an exhaust hanger or something.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:33 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Check it out:

http://www.findadblue.com/default.aspx?tab=IN&lan=ENG
Old 11-18-2010, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
I bought bottles of adblue from MB Encino and the box said that the Adblue could be used for Volkswagen, Audi, and Mercedes. Go to another dealer...its the same thing. The dealer told me the same thing (that I can only use Mercedes AdBlue) but the AdBlue company is third party and not owned by Mercedes at all. The AdBlue is the same exhaust treatment by other car brands. By the way, I am also receiving a lot of wind noise in my 2010 GL350, but thought it was normal. I also was experiencing weird revs and loud engine noises and I have been averaging 15 mpg. I told MB encino and Keyes Mercedes and they didn't change anything. What dealer did you take it to? Thanks
Old 11-18-2010, 10:21 PM

'09 GL320-wife '11E350-me
BS. I buy VW adblue or DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) and take it to my MB dealer and they put it in my tank for me when I had my 20k service flush. As long as the ISO is the same, it doesn't matter. Your GL can't tell what brand of DEF you put in the vehicle. Also MB doesn't make adblue, so that dealer's comment is a little laughable.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:09 PM

You can buy adblue online thru ebay from a mercedes dealer for $22 shipped to your door - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...83272&viewitem=
Old 11-18-2010, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by amaycg
I bought bottles of adblue from MB Encino and the box said that the Adblue could be used for Volkswagen, Audi, and Mercedes. Go to another dealer...its the same thing. The dealer told me the same thing (that I can only use Mercedes AdBlue) but the AdBlue company is third party and not owned by Mercedes at all. The AdBlue is the same exhaust treatment by other car brands. By the way, I am also receiving a lot of wind noise in my 2010 GL350, but thought it was normal. I also was experiencing weird revs and loud engine noises and I have been averaging 15 mpg. I told MB encino and Keyes Mercedes and they didn't change anything. What dealer did you take it to? Thanks
Interesting. I was just a bit surprised he told me that, considering how good they are being about everything else. It's almost as if HE believed it himself, he was that serious. LOL

I am taking my GL to Mercedes of Oxnard. Not sure how far away that is from wherever you are. The SA I'm dealing with is named Angel and he's a really nice guy. Aside from the Adblue comment, I have been EXTREMELY happy with the way they are treating us. I also have the MB C300 loaner and have had it for over a week. Much better than Keyes, in my opinion. I am unfamiliar with MB of Encino, though.

My gas mileage around town always hovers about 18-20...Most of my driving is never on open freeways. I spend a LOT of time carting 3 kids and all their friends to a zillion practices every day. I was wondering if my turbo problem would have an effect on my gas mileage. I just haven't taken it out on long open road trips to really figure it out.

Good luck finding a dealer who might be able to help you!
T.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:56 PM

I appreciate everyone's comments on the adblue--from my research on this very forum, I was pretty sure he wasn't correct, but I like having all of you as my go-to guys for answers!
t.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:39 PM

I'm a bit frustrated today...They called and car is still not done. I asked about the knocking sound coming from the back everytime I tap my brakes today and he said he 'thought' they had determined it was just adblue "sloshing" around. I reiterated again that it just couldn't be that, as surely after only 6 weeks of ownership the adblue wouldnt be so low it was sloshing around and causing that large of a thunk. It literally sounds as if I hit something. When I'm in reverse and backing out of a parking spot slowly, and slightly tapping my breaks, I hear the sound and it makes me think I've hit something-- SURELY this can't be acceptable...Grrrr.... I told him that if that is their stance, then I would like them to "top off" the blue tec and if what they are saying is true, the sound should disappear. He agreed. So...we'll see if I still have the clunk with a completely full tank of adblue. The clunk was not there until the NOX sensor was replaced.

He said more parts came in today..and they were going to start putting my car back together but that there was a "LOT of work to be done." I finally asked, a bit confused about all these other parts they had to order and he sort of hem hawed a bit, said something about once they got in there, they found that they needed more "nuts and bolts" and things. What the heck does that mean? So...My question is, will they be hoenst and tell me EXACTLY what they did all this time they've had my car? That is just something I'm curious about. Maybe I should have my husband call and ask questions, because again, I might not understand what they are doing so he doesn't feel the need to explain it-- any-who...

He said he will call me on Monday to "touch base." Anytime he says he will call to 'touch base', it always means it will not be done. So..still no car over this next weekend either. Such a pain...and today I'm a bit frustrated about the whole thing. GRRRRRR. (sigh)

As for the clunking, does anyone else have a weird clunk (they are calling it a harsh slosh) each time they stop at a stop sign or parking space, or tap the brakes? Do any of you hear your adblue making ANY type of noise in your vehicle EVERY time you stop? I think I know the answer, but just thought I'd throw it out there......

Honestly...as this goes on longer and longer, the "wind noise" I was originally complaining about seems to be the least of my worries now....

Last edited by TamZ; 11-19-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
CALL MB corporate in new jersey - it's still before 5pm, and get this done. They will assign case # and call the dealer for you to put some leverage on them. unfortunately, customers have no leverage.
PL
Old 11-19-2010, 06:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Yes, the adblue does slosh but you are correct, it is not very noticeable when the tank is full. It is pretty hard to hear until you have a few thousand miles on your GL. It was annoying when I first started hearing it but I got used to it. I also think that as you get used to the brakes you learn to be a little smoother and it doesn't slosh quite as bad.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by 43221B
Yes, the adblue does slosh but you are correct, it is not very noticeable when the tank is full. It is pretty hard to hear until you have a few thousand miles on your GL. It was annoying when I first started hearing it but I got used to it. I also think that as you get used to the brakes you learn to be a little smoother and it doesn't slosh quite as bad.
Well I am actually glad to hear that someone else hears it. At least I know then, that perhaps they are right about that. I'm willing to admit that maybe the sound is normal, if other people are hearing it as well. And I DO have 4300 miles now on my GL. (I've only owned it 8 weeks but I do drive quite a bit.) So maybe..it just needs to be topped off. We stopped by there just a bit ago to discuss all this with the mechanic and the SA and they will top it off and see if the noise disappears. If so, then we have our answer. (and I will need to learn how to brake a little smoother, I guess. lol)

Back to the stopping by, I told my husband about the nuts and bolts thing and so he wanted to stop by and just talk to them face to face. Turns out, now I understand why the SA was being a bit coy about it all, I don't think he wanted to 1) worry me and 2) get his mechanic in trouble. Apparently, when the mechanic was taking off the turbo, he broke one of the bolts. They had to come from back east. The mechanic came out as soon as we got there and said he owed us an apology and explained what happened. Not a big deal, but he felt bad. I was just a bit confused as to why it was taking so long..and the nuts and bolts story was a bit odd. Now I know. Now we are waiting for the bolt to come in from back east I guess.

I must say, as frustrated as I am. When I am actually talking to these guys (the SA and the mechanic) I walk away not as disappointed as when I went in. In the end,I can't say enough about how nice these guys are. I honestly feel like they are really trying to work all this out for me. I can't ask for much more than that, I guess. (except for maybe a $70k car that works as it's supposed to

So..I'm back to being unfrustrated..for the time being.

t.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Not too unusual for the tech to break something when he is working on the car. AND is it sometimes difficult to get the SA / mechanic to 'fess up'! If the part that breaks is a special bolt - and it is not too hard to imagine a special alloy bolt on the hot side of the turbo - then it will take time to get a replacement in. It is also possible that Mercedes is reluctant to pay for next day air service to get the new part(s) to your dealer. Shame on them in this situation if that is the case.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Fourdiesel
Not too unusual for the tech to break something when he is working on the car. AND is it sometimes difficult to get the SA / mechanic to 'fess up'! If the part that breaks is a special bolt - and it is not too hard to imagine a special alloy bolt on the hot side of the turbo - then it will take time to get a replacement in. It is also possible that Mercedes is reluctant to pay for next day air service to get the new part(s) to your dealer. Shame on them in this situation if that is the case.
Yea..the SA was protecting his mechanic, I think over the phone But as soon as we got there, the mechanic (foreman who is working on my car) explained exactly what happened and he did talk about how it was a "one time use" bolt thing or something..he explained it all to my husband who totally understood and it was really hard to get to,etc. He jokingly told me that my car has been his pain in the backside for a few days now.. In talking to this mechanic, I really feel he is doing right by us on the car as best as HE can. MB may be another story, he didn't mention them not overnighting it, etc..and I didn't ask.

I was too busy being impressed as he told me how he had another mechanic drive him around in my car, while he laid in the BACK of the car with his head down to the floor listening for the thud. He said it is quite loud and he really honestly things its the Adblue. He had his hand over the adblue tank and "feels" the thunk (hard slosh) with the brakes, etc. I've no reason to not believe him, he was laying across the back of my car trying to figure it out.

I'll just be glad to get it back. I want to start enjoying this car!

T.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:17 PM

15 GL550
California lemon law.

http://ag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon.php

My uneducated read is that your car can't be out of service more than 30 days during the first 18 months or 18000 miles whichever occurs first. I hope they get it fixed for you though.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:51 PM

California lemon law.

http://ag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon.php

My uneducated read is that your car can't be out of service more than 30 days during the first 18 months or 18000 miles whichever occurs first. I hope they get it fixed for you though.
Lots of legalese in there, to be sure! I hope that after this, perhaps we can move on and things work as they should be. But I am saving this link for later use, for sure! Thank you!
Old 11-21-2010, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Two quick things; when my turbo died (mine lasted to 80,000 miles) the mechanic broke some bolt trying to remove it and that had to be removed from its seating and replaced, so that's not unheard of. Next, I would suggest, for your own peace of mind, asking the person who has told you that you must use Mercedes' AdBlue or void your warranty to show you where that is specifically documented (and not some "must use approved fluids yadda-yadda" crap because as long as it meets the standards it is an approved fluid). If they cannot show that they are getting some fluid either manufactured only by Mercedes and nobody else or produced specifically only for Mercedes, then they are yanking your chain. Not that it's really such a huge deal but I do really hate it when someone throws around the "will void your warranty" baloney just so they can sell you something that is marked up 10,000% with premium-priced hourly mechanic rates on top of it.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Not that it's really such a huge deal but I do really hate it when someone throws around the "will void your warranty" baloney just so they can sell you something that is marked up 10,000% with premium-priced hourly mechanic rates on top of it.
That's what irritates me. But my main reasoning for wanting to use my own adblue is because they are telling me that I am going to have to put up with that loud thudding/knocking sound from the back because the ad blue tank isn't full. I find it really odd that after only a few thousand miles you either have to listen to that or pay a large fee to go in and have mercedes "top that off" for me. Sigh...

And what a bummer you also lost your turbo. Sheesh...I guess you got 80,000 miles out of yours, but still. I think mine started making the weird whining noise around 2000 miles.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:30 AM

Just so I know, how can this slosing be heard? I dont hear my windshield washer fluid sloshing around every day in different cars?

I highly doubt Tamz's noise is the adblue, if it was we would have everybody on these forums complaining about seriously loud thumps from their GL's.

Last edited by pteam; 11-22-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:48 AM

15 GL550
It doesn't make a thumping sound. The adblue tank is about 6 or 7 times the size of a windshield washer fluid reservoir. The carpeted access panel for the spare or in the bluetec's case the tool and adblue compartment, is the only real sound insulation. The only time I can hear sloshing is when I'm parking and the car is rocked back and forth. It's not that big of a deal.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:54 AM

It doesn't make a thumping sound. The adblue tank is about 6 or 7 times the size of a windshield washer fluid reservoir. The carpeted access panel for the spare or in the bluetec's case the tool and adblue compartment, is the only real sound insulation. The only time I can hear sloshing is when I'm parking and the car is rocked back and forth. It's not that big of a deal.
That's why I'm pretty sure even though they are thinking it's the adblue, that my sound is not. It's heard at every stop sign, anytime I stop. I seem to notice it a lot when I'm trying to back out of a parking space and I keep tapping my brakes as I back up easing out--its a thud-thud-thud-. It never made this sound once before they changed the NOX sensor. I can't imagine that it wasn't sloshing before I took it in but mysteriously began after. The only thing my husband DID bring up was....he wondered if they had to take OUT some of the ad blue to install the NOX sensor and didn't refill it. THAT would have lowerd the level enough to then make it slosh(thud). Who knows....Ugh!

My husband physically "rocked" the car back and forth when it was in park from the back and yes, we then can hear the ad blue slosh, but it's not the same sound I hear. I am pretty sure once they "top off" the adblue tank today in the shop like they said they would, the sound will still be there. The only thing that semi-scares me is the mechanic said he can "feel" the sound on the adblue tank. I guess we shall see!

Something interesting, my husband asked if there were "baffles" in the adblue tank to help deter sloshing and the mechanic said there isn't and he's unsure as to why. I guess there are baffles in the gas tank? That seems like it would reduce the sloshing noise a bit. Just a thought.

Last edited by TamZ; 11-22-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by TamZ
And what a bummer you also lost your turbo. Sheesh...I guess you got 80,000 miles out of yours, but still. I think mine started making the weird whining noise around 2000 miles.
Oh, well, gee, thank you. I also lost my turbo hose three or four times before they finally replaced it (warranty), first one then the other front air strut (one leak, one bag explosion, warranty expired), an A/C fan switch or solenoid that required some huge amount of labor to just get to and the death of which caused the computer to spit out every single error code it has, the turbo, the back two air struts and air ride control unit (in an attempt to troubleshoot which it was), and the transmission and transfer case. This was all before I hit 100,000 miles. No commentary, simply the facts. Everything after the turbo hose was post-warranty, by the way. Oh, plus, I had to do a complete empty and clean of the fuel system because the computer thought I had put in the wrong kind of fuel (never got clear on what it was, the wife was quite careful to get ULSD #2 no boidiesel on her entire trip). And a couple of days ago, while I was getting in after starting the truck I thought my foot contacted the emergency brake so I pulled the handle. The dash info display turned red and told me the car was in gear with the door open (it was still in park), and when I closed the door it said "drive to the dealership without switching gears" (a neat trick as it was still in park). I turned the truck off and back on, and the error cleared. Interestingly, the error did not come up when my transmission failed.

There, I feel better.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by StevethePilot

There, I feel better.
Feels good, doesn't it? I'm glad I have you guys to vent to because my husband certainly doesn't want to listen to my #@$%.

Also, please know that I didn't mean to sound flippant at ALL when I said it was a bummer for you. I had no idea all of your problems and certainly feel you have WAY more to complain about than I do!! I genuinely meant that it was a bummer.

T.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: New Member-2011 GL350 Diesel-Wind Noise :(