GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

New Member-2011 GL350 Diesel-Wind Noise :(

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 QX56 (formerly '11 GL350)
Originally Posted by nobogie
ear Tam
what a tread.
I drive a Gl450 2008 with more noise than I find approrpiate for the car.
I only use crossbars as needed and will do alitttle playing around with tape and areo dynamics.
if it does not solve the problem I will switch mode and accept that just may be this car has a bit of soul and it attempts to talk to me if only I would listen instead of try to repair it.
So what does it say.
Well first it told me I am driving with my kids in the car on roads full of peopler
I speed up the Gl and the windtalker gently raised its voice ,I clearly could hear it made me aware that I was going quit fast and all the laws of physics applied to driving makes it more dangerous to drive.
I thanked the gl for the audible warning so much nicer than a beep or sireens from a patrolcar.Accidently I started enjoying the slower ride more and talking with the kids instead of racing .
I think you get the point.
My grandfather was a mastermecanic in Europe his long life as was my father I spend the childhood among a staff of 45 mecanics ,grandpa knew and could identify the holistic relationship between a car and its owner.
You have to" Repair" both .With out a doubt they are connected in ways it takes a quantum physicsian to explain or the wisdom of somebody who spend 6 days a week in a car shop for a lifetime.
Look at both and find out about you and your car will behave and become a mirror of you.I am sure the GL must be beutifull so do not worry.
Life is truly mystical not just the sum of parts.
I recall Grand secretly telling me stuff like this custumers heart is bad,I would ask why and naturally he would say something like ,well I cleaned his carburator 3 times in a month and it still do not run right.
Then a heart attack a short time later and he would say," told you, bad
carburator.
If all else fails Tam try decaff ,it lowers tinnitus in people with that problem and other noise sensitivity problems.
love your car.
Best of luck
Nobogie
I'm not even sure what to say....thanks
Old 12-01-2010, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S600
Originally Posted by TamZ
The service department has been SO nice about all of this. When you say they changed their posture, do you mean in a good way or were they irked you mentioned the lemon law thing. This is only the second time I've had the car to this particular dealership, the other 2 were at the original one. All the same problems, however.

My husband is going to call MBUSA (thanks to the person way up bove who gave me the #!) I feel like it needs to be a MAN who does all the dealing with them on this. (sad as that sounds.)

I take the car in Thursday- Which is a huge issue, considering I was suppose to cart 6 High school basketball players to a tournament this weekend for my daughters High School and now we have to find a new driver because my BRAND NEW CAR has to once again go in the shop! GRR! I can't even use the loaner to take the girls to the games because I had to go through the whole inspection rigamaroll and have my GL "cleared" for use with the team. Last time they had it nearly 2 weeks--I hope it won't be that long this time.

I think I come across more patient than I really am, on here. trust me, there have been quite a few choice words come flying out of my mouth about this.

My wind noise is till freakin' ridiculous, too. Ugh.

T.
just fyi, calling mbusa won't do any good. you need to send them a demand letter via certified mail to get an actual response.

good luck, and hope everything works out!
Old 12-01-2010, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by spdracer53
just fyi, calling mbusa won't do any good. you need to send them a demand letter via certified mail to get an actual response.

good luck, and hope everything works out!
duly noted, thank you! I also sent you a PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
I think you get the point.
My grandfather was a mastermecanic in Europe his long life as was my father I spend the childhood among a staff of 45 mecanics ,grandpa knew and could identify the holistic relationship between a car and its owner.
You have to" Repair" both .With out a doubt they are connected in ways it takes a quantum physicsian to explain or the wisdom of somebody who spend 6 days a week in a car shop for a lifetime.
Look at both and find out about you and your car will behave and become a mirror of you.I am sure the GL must be beutifull so do not worry.
Life is truly mystical not just the sum of parts.
I recall Grand secretly telling me stuff like this custumers heart is bad,I would ask why and naturally he would say something like ,well I cleaned his carburator 3 times in a month and it still do not run right.
Then a heart attack a short time later and he would say," told you, bad
carburator.
If all else fails Tam try decaff ,it lowers tinnitus in people with that problem and other noise sensitivity problems.
Wow. I do honestly believe you're talking about a European mechanic. Why? First, someone coming in three times a month and he still can't get the car to run right, and all he does is clean the carb? Clearly a European mechanic. And second? Of course, blame the driver for not properly driving and loving the magical pixie-dust powered car with a personality that's just trying to make him/her better. I think I get the point! If something's wrong with the car, it must be the driver!
Old 12-01-2010, 07:24 PM

MB 320 wagon 2008GL 450 2008 audi A6 Jag xj-s v12
Hi steve the Pilot and dear Tamz
Yes it does seem rather nutty that there might be some relation ship between a car and its owner.
And that to a point that would make it possible to detect features of a car by looking at the owner and vice versa.
reading steves strong reaction to my observation and feeling sorry for have caused him to be upset just make me wonder how his car is running.
Some how I imagine a fair amount of rapid acceleration to get rid of tension in the body.maybe even a bit of sliding trough a few curves now and then to get a little extasy from daily stress.It is not good for the differential in the long run.
Tamz on the other hand appears to cope well and organized about her car trouble,All though she is sad that her dream car has issues she shows much hope for a satifatory solution.I am sure she will find it since she respects and cares for the people who has been trying more or less to get her car repaired.She realize that noting is perfect and just needs to find the best possible man to do the job at the best of his ability.
Yes I describe a grandfather who would try 3 times to do a repair to the best of his knowledge and if he failed he would still look for a way to have his custumer [and proberly neighbor friend or at least aquintaince}feel better in som way or another so there would be a chance the carowner again would be able to drive home with an inperfect car but a nice mindset that understand the limitations of people and tecnologi.
Steve maybe you got so welthy and educated that you are entitled to expect the perfect conduct of ordinary mecanics earning their salary fixing your MB.Perhaps the engineers in Germany, some I call friends, havent quit been able to live up to your standards but the once I know worked very hard to make your ride the best possible.
I enjoy my flawed cars and understand how difficult it is to do a truly great job of repair in a car with tens of thousands of parts.
Sometimes you just can't figure out what to do.There is noting more motivating than a custumer who is screaming about his rights and justified expectation of perfection because a MB cost a good amount to start with.Sure wake up the service people if they are not trying hard but those who do their best and still come up short do not need the anger of a custumer that most likely can not change a sparkplug.
It is so easy to be the critic when you don't do the work.
I am sure Tamz will come to like her new car and get many very good times and I hope when it challenges her and the mecanic she will keep up her good spirit and find some joy in looking for the solution to mecanical challenges.
Steve be carefull not to blow fuses.
Best
Nobogie
Old 12-01-2010, 07:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 GL450
Hi steve the Pilot and dear Tamz
Yes it does seem rather nutty that there might be some relation ship between a car and its owner.
And that to a point that would make it possible to detect features of a car by looking at the owner and vice versa.
reading steves strong reaction to my observation and feeling sorry for have caused him to be upset just make me wonder how his car is running.
Some how I imagine a fair amount of rapid acceleration to get rid of tension in the body.maybe even a bit of sliding trough a few curves now and then to get a little extasy from daily stress.It is not good for the differential in the long run.
Tamz on the other hand appears to cope well and organized about her car trouble,All though she is sad that her dream car has issues she shows much hope for a satifatory solution.I am sure she will find it since she respects and cares for the people who has been trying more or less to get her car repaired.She realize that noting is perfect and just needs to find the best possible man to do the job at the best of his ability.
Yes I describe a grandfather who would try 3 times to do a repair to the best of his knowledge and if he failed he would still look for a way to have his custumer [and proberly neighbor friend or at least aquintaince}feel better in som way or another so there would be a chance the carowner again would be able to drive home with an inperfect car but a nice mindset that understand the limitations of people and tecnologi.
Steve maybe you got so welthy and educated that you are entitled to expect the perfect conduct of ordinary mecanics earning their salary fixing your MB.Perhaps the engineers in Germany, some I call friends, havent quit been able to live up to your standards but the once I know worked very hard to make your ride the best possible.
I enjoy my flawed cars and understand how difficult it is to do a truly great job of repair in a car with tens of thousands of parts.
Sometimes you just can't figure out what to do.There is noting more motivating than a custumer who is screaming about his rights and justified expectation of perfection because a MB cost a good amount to start with.Sure wake up the service people if they are not trying hard but those who do their best and still come up short do not need the anger of a custumer that most likely can not change a sparkplug.
It is so easy to be the critic when you don't do the work.
I am sure Tamz will come to like her new car and get many very good times and I hope when it challenges her and the mecanic she will keep up her good spirit and find some joy in looking for the solution to mecanical challenges.
Steve be carefull not to blow fuses.
Best
Nobogie
Dude, put down that crack pipe before you start typing away!
Old 12-01-2010, 10:30 PM

MB 320 wagon 2008GL 450 2008 audi A6 Jag xj-s v12
Sorry no crack pipe to put down.I believe thats a CA kind of
thing.My case is pure genetics.Naturally aspirated if you will.
Best Nobogie
Old 12-02-2010, 12:35 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Old 12-02-2010, 03:44 PM

Ugh--More BAD news!

Such an interesting turn of the thread there for awhile. I'm always up for positive Chi--even though, honestly, I have no idea what that is all about. I am all about positivity, so I gleaned what I could from the mystical post and went from there.

First off, SA (Angel) and Mechanic (Michael) both greeted my husband and I, feels like we're becoming friends. As nice as that is and all...I really didn't need to spend $70k to make more friends...but they are being great. Let me plug them, for service--Oxnard Mercedes Service Department is top notch. That said.....

As for my car--BAD NEWS AGAIN--

Airmatic Problems!

He reassessed the continual "pump noise" I seem to be hearing and he now thinks it is the AIRMATIC going bad. He's not sure exactly what it could be yet, either a leak in the line, a bad pump, pump not installed correctly, whatever. He will be looking into all that.

Over the last few days, it makes the noise more and more, even while driving now, not just when coming to stops. It has also begun to let out huge LOUD air sounds...WHOOOOSH's but WAY loud. Not only when I stop, but when I'm just driving around. Luckily, it did it when the mechanic was driving too (Yea!!) and the motor noise as well (Yea!!) He has no idea what the problem is but think that either there are leaks in the line...maybe the motor/pump is going out. He said it could be that the pump is installed incorrectly, which is causing it to do this. He said that when the vehicle has been sitting for awhile, it may release air, etc. But these huge loud air releases are LOUD--scared the heck out of a lady in the Fry's parking lot today-- Also, the car has NEVER made these loud air noises until the last few days. If this were normal, you'd expect it to be doing this from day one. I explained to him that I found it weird that after 2 months, now all of a sudden it would start releasing all these "whooshs's at every stop sign (and sometimes when driving along. He agreed.) He will look into it once he gets inside there.

BAD STRUT/SHOCK--

Ever since owning the vehicle, it has made a weird loud CLUNK on the RIGHT passenger side shock. I don't notice so much except when going over taller speed bumps. The wider rolling ones it doesn't do it. It has done it ever since the first day of owning it. I didn't realize it wasn't "normal" even though I thought it was very loud and odd it was only on one side. I attributed it to the RUN FLATS. Well today, the mechanic was listening to my car for sounds and it made that loud clunk over a speedbump and he said THAT is NOT NORMAL. (Yea!!) I told him I hadn't even complained about that noise because I had assumed it was normal for the run flats and he assured me it wasn't. I think he said something about a bad strut that is leaking? or blown shock on that side? either way, it came from the factor that way. He said it should not be making that clunk and said maybe that even had something to do with the Airmatic problems. He's looking into it and I'm just glad he was able to validate it--I always feel better when they don't think I'm crazy

ENGINE LEAKING OIL--

Apparently, my husband noticed oil on the ground under my vehicle the other day. Yesterday he got under the GL and said there is oil leaking/seeping from the rear "main" (I have NO idea what that is.) and from the Transmission? (not sure where that is either.) But whatever it is, my husband found it important enough to want to meet me at the dealer today to discuss it with the mechanic. The mechanic is definitely going to be looking into this as well. I know nothing about oil, but I'm pretty sure a brand new car shouldn't be leaking/seeping it yet.

So..that is my update on today. I am in the C300 Sport loaner again. And I will wait to hear back from the SA on the status of my car.

I know..I know..I'm patient. Trust me, it's getting harder every day. (positive Chi and all.)
Tam

Last edited by TamZ; 12-02-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:01 PM

2011 GL350 Bluetec, Irridium over Black Leather
Originally Posted by TamZ
Over the last few days, it makes the noise more and more, even while driving now, not just when coming to stops. It has also begun to let out huge LOUD air sounds...WHOOOOSH's but WAY loud. Not only when I stop, but when I'm just driving around. Luckily, it did it when the mechanic was driving too (Yea!!) and the motor noise as well (Yea!!) He has no idea what the problem is but think that either there are leaks in the line...maybe the motor/pump is going out. He said it could be that the pump is installed incorrectly, which is causing it to do this. He will look into it once he gets inside there.

BAD STRUT/SHOCK--
These two are very likely to be the same issue. The Airmatic air spring is integrated into the shock body, IIRC.

- Mark
Old 12-02-2010, 05:53 PM

I love the GL. I think everyone who can afford one should try one.

Yours, I hate, and I don't think it is fair that anyone consider it your problem anymore.

Write MB, and follow it up with a call that you are now leaving the keys with the car.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:10 PM

2014 slk55 amg, 2011 gl350, lambo gallardo, 800hp supercharged viper
This is really sickening. Your car is a peice of junk. Theres no way it should have this many problems, blown struts, blown turbo, engine leaking oil, airmatic problem, seats not working, wind noise etc etc. WTF were the engineers doing when they made your car?

This is definately a lemon. This is way past the point where these problems are acceptable especially because its so many different problems. Send a certified letter and tell them this is on a public mercedes benz fan forum so thousands of people are following this situation and for them to make it right would do them alot of good publicity.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by pteam
This is really sickening. Your car is a peice of junk. Theres no way it should have this many problems, blown struts, blown turbo, engine leaking oil, airmatic problem, seats not working, wind noise etc etc. WTF were the engineers doing when they made your car?

This is definately a lemon. This is way past the point where these problems are acceptable especially because its so many different problems. Send a certified letter and tell them this is on a public mercedes benz fan forum so thousands of people are following this situation and for them to make it right would do them alot of good publicity.
I am certainly frustrated beyond belief. I am in the process of writing everything down, keeping track of days, etc. getting ready to compose my letter. I've had a lot of great information private messaged to me and I am very appreciative of everyone's help.

I'll keep updating as all this pans out. I didn't get a phone call today about the car so I expect to hear back from them tomorrow. The SA is very good about keeping me up to date. I could tell today that the mechanic could feel my frustration; he's probably thinking in his head that I'm nuts because I'm really keeping so calm about this. The SA said that he has to deal with some VERY unhappy customers and that I'm a breeze. lol... I'm sure that is true!

Tam
Old 12-02-2010, 11:18 PM

Pteam--I actually thought of you today--when we were going over all these new issues...I know you have one one order. I'm sure yours will be fine..but I know it can't be fun to read about all my problems knowing you have the same vehicle on order!
Old 12-03-2010, 01:54 PM

yea it seriously makes you wonder how often this happens. 1 out of 100? 1 out of 10 cars? And trust me my 08 h2 has been trouble free and been nothing but an outstanding car but its got 50k miles on it and out of warranty and thus the reason I got to the benz.

Last edited by pteam; 12-03-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:55 PM

yea it seriously makes you wonder how often this happens. 1 out of 100? 1 out of 10 cars? And trust me my 08 h2 has been trouble free and been nothing but an outstanding car but its got 50k miles on it and out of warranty and thus the reason I got to the benz.
My H2 gave me 8 trouble free years. It wasn't until just this past Summer, that the air suspension on it FINALLY gave out in the back. I came out one morning and it was sitting on it's butt in the back. But other than that, I loved that H2. One of my very favorite vehicles I've ever owned.

I haven't heard back from my SA yet today...I'm surprised he didn't call me this morning to update me. That must be bad news. Looks like I may have this loaner over another weekend.

Sigh.. This has turned into a huge inconvenience this time as I really needed to be able to bring 5 other basketball players to tournaments this weekend as I have one of the only "cleared" parent cars for travel--Now girls are scrambling trying to find rides. I was also to take 6 young girls to their Magic Mountain Cheer Competition and we are scrambling to find them rides as well-- Not good!

I know he'll call me this afternoon.
T.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:41 AM

Transmission

My SA called this afternoon...They've ordered a new right Strut/Shock thing.. He then said that to get to where he needs to get to for the oil leak he has to take out (?) the tranmission..so it doesn't look like I will be getting my car back tomorrow either

Today, I couldn't help but voice my EXTREME disappointment to the SA about this vehicle. Of course, he knows this already and told me he agrees with me 110% and feels my frustration. It is very hard for me to be too upset with THEM about all of this because they are nothing but completely accommodating when it comes to my myself, my car and the loaner car. But I know today for a fact, he could hear my frustration.

I've officially about had it. I don't trust this vehicle anymore further than I can throw it. (if I could throw it--which I really wish I could--off the Grand Canyon.)

&@#%@^%$*&^$*&#^$*&#^$*&^!*&@^#%%@$#%^@#$ (everything I want to say but can't say, on a public forum)

T.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:24 PM

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
2011 Audi A4, 2014 E63S Wagon, 2020 GLS 580
Tam,

Have you talked to the sales manager at the dealership? We had an Audi A4 that gave us constant problems. Instead of going the lemon law route, I sat down with the sales manager at the dealership. We've bought a number of Porches and Audis from this dealer over the years. I explained the situation and asked him to work out a deal to put me into a new A4 and take the problematic one back in trade, with minimal (but not zero) out of pocket cost to me. He was able to put a deal together that got us a new A4 for a few thousand in cost. Since this was my wife's car, I wanted there to be no question about reliability, so for me it was worth it to spend the extra money to get a new car and not have to hassle with the lemon law process.

If you have a long term relationship with the Mercedes dealer, you may want to try this approach. If you are like me, no matter what they fix, you will never trust this vehicle again. You don't want to be in that position with such an expensive vehicle.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:09 PM

'15 GL450
Originally Posted by ksalno
Tam,

Have you talked to the sales manager at the dealership? We had an Audi A4 that gave us constant problems. Instead of going the lemon law route, I sat down with the sales manager at the dealership. We've bought a number of Porches and Audis from this dealer over the years. I explained the situation and asked him to work out a deal to put me into a new A4 and take the problematic one back in trade, with minimal (but not zero) out of pocket cost to me. He was able to put a deal together that got us a new A4 for a few thousand in cost. Since this was my wife's car, I wanted there to be no question about reliability, so for me it was worth it to spend the extra money to get a new car and not have to hassle with the lemon law process.

If you have a long term relationship with the Mercedes dealer, you may want to try this approach. If you are like me, no matter what they fix, you will never trust this vehicle again. You don't want to be in that position with such an expensive vehicle.
You are too nice. I wouldn't spend another dime! By law, it is a LEMON. I would definitely have a talk with the sales manager just to resolve the matter at the lowest level possible; this is one thing I learned in the military. If it doesn't work, I'd talk to MBUSA. If they don't want to play, off to the courts. Simple as that. Look up the California Lemon Law. It's fairly straight forward.
I honestly don't believe in the "long term relationship, the dealer loves us and they are here to take care of us, the SA is a nice guy, sit around the fire, hold hands and sing cuhm bah yah, blah blah blah" bs. If you truly believe in this and it really exists, then I'm jealous. Here is the land of materialism, SoCal, that unfortunately doesn't exist. Everything stops at the $. Time to play hard ball!

On second thought, forget the sales manager. They are all snakes, IMO. Go directly to MBUSA. If they can't satisfy, go find a Lemon Law lawyer. They don't charge a whole lot, if I recall. It is a pretty simple process and you can do it on your own too. Time is valuable to me and I'm sure to the rest of ya'll, so spending a few hundred bucks in lawyer fee to get quicker results might be a good option.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 12-04-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:17 PM

I agree with Sleep. This is a brand new car we are talking about. Tamz should be made whole on the deal, if she stays with Benz. Otherwise, i'd be off to the Lexus dealer, if of course, the Lexus is an approved car for Tamz' basketball team. Still don't have that part figured out...
Old 12-04-2010, 03:37 PM

2011 GL450
Originally Posted by Brocktoon
I agree with Sleep. This is a brand new car we are talking about. Tamz should be made whole on the deal, if she stays with Benz. Otherwise, i'd be off to the Lexus dealer, if of course, the Lexus is an approved car for Tamz' basketball team. Still don't have that part figured out...
I hope they do her right like they did me. As far as being approved for the basketball team, what you have to do is submit your car information along with insurance information to the school district, or league and they have to approve you as a safe driver with adequate insurance coverage to drive other kids other than your own. It is a process that takes several days. Any car she drive can be approved, it just takes time to process it. (at least that is the way our school district works).
Old 12-04-2010, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by MomsBenz
I hope they do her right like they did me.
can you explain? did you have a lemon?
Old 12-04-2010, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by MomsBenz
I hope they do her right like they did me. As far as being approved for the basketball team, what you have to do is submit your car information along with insurance information to the school district, or league and they have to approve you as a safe driver with adequate insurance coverage to drive other kids other than your own. It is a process that takes several days. Any car she drive can be approved, it just takes time to process it. (at least that is the way our school district works).
Wow! it's like a HOA for car pooling! What will you guys dream up next?

Yes, I agree I hope they can help her out. I would be having a stroke by now. I'm not kidding, I just can't cope with that sort of grief. There should be some mechanism to get the distributor involved early on cases like this. What sort of warranty claims have they paid out so far? $5,000. $10.000? Why not just nip it in the bud, and get the customer into a new car rather than clown around with "repairs".
Old 12-04-2010, 05:34 PM

Pteam, Kayla had a GL that was eating her batteries and leaving her stranded.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:25 PM

2011 GL350 Bluetec, Irridium over Black Leather
Originally Posted by Brocktoon
Wow! it's like a HOA for car pooling! What will you guys dream up next?
Don't get too cocky. The crazy **** we come up with out here drifts over to your state eventually.

- Mark

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: New Member-2011 GL350 Diesel-Wind Noise :(