GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

New Member-2011 GL350 Diesel-Wind Noise :(

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 QX56 (formerly '11 GL350)
Originally Posted by pteam

I have this deep down gut feeling that if this happens to me I'll blow a gasket! Its kinda like a feeling you have when you have a dream and your dieing in the dream and then you wake up. Thats kinda how I feel about the day when I pickup my new mercedes GL comes, hoping it doesnt have 30830282083 problems
Pteam--Trust me, I think of you often during this, knowing you have one on order.

Honestly, when I came to this forum to get advice for the awful wind noise mine has, I had no idea my thread would turn into this. I wish I could even edit the title of my thread, only because this has become less about the original wind noise and so much more about all the other issues I've had.

I can only imagine how many people read this thread that DON'T respond that are being turned away from this particular GL or even Mercedes in general, because of my experience. I realize there is always "that one" vehicle that this can happen to--I've just never been unlucky enough to get "that car" until now.

I am crossing my fingers for you that your vehicle on order will be PERFECT. I don't wish my experience on anyone. It has been one of the more disappointing things I've dealt with in a long time!

T.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:44 PM

Latest update on my car:

Still no car.

They need to order "Sway arms" for the car? I have no idea what these are but it has something to do with the clunking on the right passenger side.

They are ordering some type of "valve" for the airmatic compressor.

They cannot figure out where the oil is leaking from on the car.

I informed the SA today, that although I have all the confidence in their service on this particular GL, I now have ZERO CONFIDENCE in the actual vehicle anymore. I told him I don't want the car, and will be writing a letter to MBUSA. I tried calling them about 5 minutes ago but I'm a half hour late, its after 5pm on the east coast.

He told me he 100% understands why I'm writing the letter and says he does not blame me at all.

All of the parts that need to be ordered need to come from Germany. They have no idea how long it will take. They say the car is driveable and may be able to pick it up tomorrow. I feel like telling them to just keep the damn thing.

I'll be faxing a letter tomorrow to MBUSA and also calling again. They can sit around and wait to repair this car and do whatever it is they do with these types of cars. I feel I have been more than accomodating over the last 9 weeks or so of ownership, considering its basically been in the shop dang near 4 of those 9 weeks.

^&%#&@^$*#&$*#$*#
Old 12-09-2010, 08:08 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Parts from Germany take 5 days to the West Coast (PLEASE don't ask me how I know)

I really hope M-B Headquarters is prompt and conciliatory in getting back to you.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Fourdiesel
Parts from Germany take 5 days to the West Coast (PLEASE don't ask me how I know)

I really hope M-B Headquarters is prompt and conciliatory in getting back to you.
Well, I have no idea what to expect from MBUSA. I've never dealt with anything like this. I don't expect they will be very happy with me, but hopefully they will listen.

My SA called me back tonight to tell me that I can pick up my car anytime tomorrow, and they will call me when the parts all come in. They will have a C300 waiting for me as usual, he said.

We talked extensively about my disappointment with this, and he said that their service department will work with me in any way, trying to help me get this all settled. He reiterated to me that he completely understands why we are going the buy back route, and pretty much without "really" saying so, I felt he would probably do the same thing. He said that MBUSA should really step up to the plate and do us right by all of this.

We talked about how it has literally been in the shop 4 weeks of the approximately 9 weeks I've owned the vehicle and he said that my car, as far as service goes, is one of the longest issues he's ever seen before. (we counted 25 days in the shop so far, in the first 9 weeks.) He said whatever I need ,to let him know, as far as dealing with MBUSA and said he'd work me and them on the phone, etc. to get it all settled.

He also thanked us profusely for being so good about all of this. He actually told me that they couldn't have asked for a better customer, he said lots of other people would have been very difficult to deal with over something like this (understandably), and wanted to make sure we knew they appreciated that. Overall, it was a good conversation and I felt like at least I have the service departments support in all this. He completely understands why we don't trust this vehicle. It is literally, just a " wait and see what goes wrong next" type of car-- Not what we expected at all from a $70k vehicle. He completely agrees.

They are still perplexed about the leak, they simply cannot figure out where it is. The fluid that is leaking out is not "dark" like they'd expect if it had run through the engine. They are at a loss. I just know that I'd prefer my brand new car to not be leaking anything. And if it is, I sure in the heck want to know what it is.

So...that's my update.

Still frustrated,
T.

Last edited by TamZ; 12-11-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:12 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
GL 320, 993TT, BMW 550XI
Aren't MLs and GLs built in Alabama? Why would parts come from Germany unless the truck is just assembled in Alabama with imported parts?
Old 12-10-2010, 03:11 PM

2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
Originally Posted by chsu74
Aren't MLs and GLs built in Alabama? Why would parts come from Germany unless the truck is just assembled in Alabama with imported parts?
Yes, only assembly takes place in Alabama, all major parts come from Germany except glass, paints, and fasteners.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Good news! My front end air ride is leaking again. I don't know if it's a valve or if it's one of the struts, but either way the prospect of having to spend another who-knows-how-many-hundreds of dolalrs to get it fixed is just thrilling.

If the car's built poorly, do it now! Don't let someone say, "Now that we've fixed all of this, I bet nothing will ever go wrong with this car again." That's baloney. Bad is bad. It's a manufacturing defect, basically, but it gets to fall under the special category of "Lemon Law" to help you deal with the car manufacturer.

I wish you luck.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 slk55 amg, 2011 gl350, lambo gallardo, 800hp supercharged viper
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Good news! My front end air ride is leaking again.
Steve, Congrats!! You'll get to see all your old buddies at the service dept again!!!
Old 12-10-2010, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by aggst1
Yes, only assembly takes place in Alabama, all major parts come from Germany except glass, paints, and fasteners.
Ugh, yes! And they just gave me an "expected in" date of JANUARY 13th, 2011. SO A MONTH AWAY until the parts can be here to fix my car.(the new sway arms). They didn't really give me an idea of when whatever valve is needed to try to fix the compressor running. I read through the paperwork today, they said they tested an exact model of mine and the compressor doesn't do what mine does. (Paper says mine runs at a VERY high frequency, and a bunch of other stuff I don't really understand.)

My husband is about ready to blow a gasket on Mercedes-Benz LOL. I'm still relative calm, but disappointed. I simply don't want this POS car anymore.

T.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:44 PM

Good news! My front end air ride is leaking again. I don't know if it's a valve or if it's one of the struts, but either way the prospect of having to spend another who-knows-how-many-hundreds of dolalrs to get it fixed is just thrilling.

If the car's built poorly, do it now! Don't let someone say, "Now that we've fixed all of this, I bet nothing will ever go wrong with this car again." That's baloney. Bad is bad. It's a manufacturing defect, basically, but it gets to fall under the special category of "Lemon Law" to help you deal with the car manufacturer.

I wish you luck.
STP-- Ugh...I am so sorry Anytime I come here to complain about my car, I do think of you and how you have dealt with every bit as much and more AFTER WARRANTY. Through all of this, I keep reminding myself that at least all this happened under warranty--I'm not out a penny, and that makes it much easier to take.

I hope it doesn't cost as much as you said, to fix your problem
Old 12-10-2010, 06:47 PM

Forgot to say that I did stop and pick up my GL at the dealer. Nothing has changed, still sounds as crappy as it did before. (but that was expected, they couldn't fix it without the parts.) but it's driveable. (just annoying.)

T.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:37 PM

Gl 350
Greetings from down under ,,I just purchase gl350 2010 been following your threads, I feel for you and your family.can I say you guys a lucky over there having the "lemon law" in aus there is no such thing,I think you will get a new car out of Mercedes .... AND SO YOU SHOULD!!!! Hang in there!! Ps hope mines ok.....
Old 12-10-2010, 08:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 E63S
Originally Posted by TamZ
Latest update on my car:

Still no car.

They need to order "Sway arms" for the car? I have no idea what these are but it has something to do with the clunking on the right passenger side.

They are ordering some type of "valve" for the airmatic compressor.

They cannot figure out where the oil is leaking from on the car.

I informed the SA today, that although I have all the confidence in their service on this particular GL, I now have ZERO CONFIDENCE in the actual vehicle anymore. I told him I don't want the car, and will be writing a letter to MBUSA. I tried calling them about 5 minutes ago but I'm a half hour late, its after 5pm on the east coast.

He told me he 100% understands why I'm writing the letter and says he does not blame me at all.

All of the parts that need to be ordered need to come from Germany. They have no idea how long it will take. They say the car is driveable and may be able to pick it up tomorrow. I feel like telling them to just keep the damn thing.

I'll be faxing a letter tomorrow to MBUSA and also calling again. They can sit around and wait to repair this car and do whatever it is they do with these types of cars. I feel I have been more than accomodating over the last 9 weeks or so of ownership, considering its basically been in the shop dang near 4 of those 9 weeks.

^&%#&@^$*#&$*#$*#

Just some food for thought - are you sure its oil leaking from the truck and not diesel fuel? Note recall they had (which if it was, would be nice as its a quick fix).

Recall 2010110001 - MY2011 models 164, 164.8, 212, 251 the fuel filter may leak due to O-ring not properly lubricated, filter will be replaced. Approximately 2,302 vehicles affected.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by nynd
Just some food for thought - are you sure its oil leaking from the truck and not diesel fuel? Note recall they had (which if it was, would be nice as its a quick fix).

Recall 2010110001 - MY2011 models 164, 164.8, 212, 251 the fuel filter may leak due to O-ring not properly lubricated, filter will be replaced. Approximately 2,302 vehicles affected.
I was aware of fuel filter recall and before I could even mention it, the SA informed me they would take care of that. They took care of that the last time I had the car in, so I think that has been taken care of now.

I personally have no idea but the mechanic is saying it's oil. I just re-read the paperwork and is says, " found oil leaking around bellhousing area with dust collecting. Inspected inside Bellhousing and found same oil and dust collecting. Unable to determine and properly identify oil leak. Released vehicle at this time and advised client that when special ordered parts arrive and vehicle returns for installation, we will recheck and diagnose." so....whatever that means. They all seem at a loss as to what it is or where it is coming from.

Sigh,
T.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by Mazza
Greetings from down under ,,I just purchase gl350 2010 been following your threads, I feel for you and your family.can I say you guys a lucky over there having the "lemon law" in aus there is no such thing,I think you will get a new car out of Mercedes .... AND SO YOU SHOULD!!!! Hang in there!! Ps hope mines ok.....
I believe the law requires them to repurchase the car from you, but it has specific requirements which must be met - and I think TamZ's car fits those requirements but mine did not.

As for yours, I am sure it will be fine. Based on what I've been able to find out, Mercedes has gone from 60% of sales needing warranty work to more like 25%, which is approaching what would be expected, and they do say they're working on improving that. (Toyota/Honda and those guys are normally at or below 20% of sales.)

So with lots of other diesel options in Downundu, what made you go with the GL? (Not that I don't agree with your decision, just that we have so few diesel options that aren't gigantic pickup trucks.)

STP
Old 12-11-2010, 12:43 PM

I believe the law requires them to repurchase the car from you, but it has specific requirements which must be met - and I think TamZ's car fits those requirements but mine did not.

STP
I sure HOPE it qualifies. I've been without the car for 25 days so far, plus it will be going in again after the parts supposedly arrive, not sure how long that will take. I think it said 30 days without the car over an 18 month period or 18,000 miles (not sure exactly.) Heck, I've been 25 days without the car in a less than 10 week period. It seems to me that I will qualify for this no matter what, because I pretty much have no doubt something else will break, that just seems to be how this car "rolls"

I don't know what I will do if they make me keep this car, I think I might just have to finally flip out.

T.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:38 PM

Gl 350

As for yours, I am sure it will be fine. Based on what I've been able to find out, Mercedes has gone from 60% of sales needing warranty work to more like 25%, which is approaching what would be expected, and they do say they're working on improving that. (Toyota/Honda and those guys are normally at or below 20% of sales.)

So with lots of other diesel options in Downundu, what made you go with the GL? (Not that I don't agree with your decision, just that we have so few diesel options that aren't gigantic pickup trucks.)

STP
. BMW made me switch I purchase a x5 with a M pak on it in 2009 brand new and let me tell you it's the closes thing you get driving on water while driving on the road iT JUST FLOATED it was the worst car I've ever own. Funny enough the first time I've seen gl,s I said ,one big ugly car, but now they look great! I don't know, iv might have hit my head some where and not know it!!! But they are a great looking suv and drive HEAPS better than my BMW x5
Old 12-13-2010, 12:22 PM

Assigned a Case # by MBUSA

Just a quick update-- Just got off the phone with MBUSA, informing them that a certified letter would be forthcoming. I explained my situation, I was assigned a case # and my case manager will be contacting me within 24 hours supposedly. They will be in contact with my SA at Oxnard as well.

Let's see how this all goes...crossing my fingers that it isn't a huge fight. I don't see how it could be, it's obvious the car has huge issues.

Wish me luck.
Tammy
Old 12-13-2010, 07:26 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Luck!, Luck!, Luck!
Old 12-14-2010, 01:27 AM

2014 slk55 amg, 2011 gl350, lambo gallardo, 800hp supercharged viper
If they put up a fight I would mention that this is on 2 benz fan forums with thousands of members viewing these daily and it would be in their best interest to make it right and have thousands of people applaud their effort instead of scowl at bad mercedes service.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:19 PM

Latest Update--Case being reviewed

Just another quick update:

I've learned something throughout this whole thing:

I really have a hard time being a hard @$$ when it comes to conveying how upset I am about this. I've always subscribed to the notion that many things can be accomplished through kindness and rationality, so I'm taking a big breath here and hoping for the best.

They've officially sent my request that Mercedes-Benz buy back my car under the lemon law, to their "review board." All I got today, really, was a bunch of apologies for the inconveniences, etc. He said that I can expect a decision within 2-5 weeks. In the interim, they will be gathering information from my records, the dealers, etc.

I did mention that my car's "story" has been playing out for weeks on a Mercedes-Benz forum that is frequented by THOUSANDS of people everyday. I also told him that my thread is one of the higher viewed threads over the last month or so. He didn't have much to say about that, and I'm not sure what good it will even do to mention it, yet I did make sure to note that.

Overall, I can't help but be a bit irked by their patronizing tone, even though he was a really nice guy, I felt as if they are reading off a canned-response--I realize from here on out, the legalities of it all will be in full-effect, so I guess I can't expect a completely personable experience.

My question is, now that this has been done, should I still send my demand letter via certified mail? I feel that I should, only so I can list every single thing that has not only gone wrong with it (which they will be able to see on their screens when reviewing my cars history) but also the INCONVENIENCES that have gone along with it.

Also, I can't help but worry that their "first response" will be an automatic deny of my request, in hopes that I will give up and go away. I would certainly think that wouldn't be in Mercedes-Benz's best interest in this case, as I plan on fighting this no matter what.

As I said to him before we got off the phone, it all boils down to one thing: I simply did not get the vehicle I paid for.

As you know, I will keep everyone updated.

Tammy
Old 12-14-2010, 12:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GL450
Definitely send out ALL the letters! To MBUSA, the dealers, etc! I had a "rep" assigned to me as well and he did nothing. I immediately went over his head and got what I wanted accomplished. You have a very strong case, do not let them make you think different. Proceed like you haven't even spoken to anyone at MBUSA! Good luck and stay firm!
Old 12-14-2010, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by MomsBenz
Definitely send out ALL the letters! To MBUSA, the dealers, etc! I had a "rep" assigned to me as well and he did nothing. I immediately went over his head and got what I wanted accomplished. You have a very strong case, do not let them make you think different. Proceed like you haven't even spoken to anyone at MBUSA! Good luck and stay firm!
Thank you! This was my first inclination--and I will be sending out my letter today or tomorrow. I will include everyone; MBUSA, the original dealer and my current service deparment at the new dealer.

I appreciate everyone's support.

Tammy
Old 12-14-2010, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 599 Likes on 507 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by TamZ
I did mention that my car's "story" has been playing out for weeks on a Mercedes-Benz forum that is frequented by THOUSANDS of people everyday. I also told him that my thread is one of the higher viewed threads over the last month or so. He didn't have much to say about that, and I'm not sure what good it will even do to mention it, yet I did make sure to note that.
I sincerely hope all automakers take note, not just MB but all who care about customer satisfaction. I get the vibe that a lot of corporate headquarters are ostriches when it comes to internet buzz and dismiss out of hand what is going on in message boards as mere chatter.
This chatter is how today's autobuying public makes its mind up over their next auto purchase.
Tam, you've definately generated enough buzz here for MB to take heed and do right by you.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:28 PM

I thought about printing out all the pages and attaching to the back of my letter. It would be quite a bit of paper.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: New Member-2011 GL350 Diesel-Wind Noise :(