GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL Suspension noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 E550 Coupe, '67 230 SL, '06 E350 4-Matic, '75 911S, '04 Porsche Boxster S, '04 Cayenne Turbo
GL Suspension noise

Our GL developed a serious clunk in the front suspension that could be felt on the driver's side floorboard. I decided to try to find the noise before I took it for warranty work and was surprised at what I found. A 3/4" piece of gravel was setting on the crossmember at the rear transmission mount. Each time the mount compressed it hit this gravel.

Occurring at a similar time was an occasional squeal from the rear brakes whether or not they were applied. I spread the calipers apart and an 1/8" piece of gravel came out of there.

Clunk and squeal gone.

Hope this helps someone in their diagnosis!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:30 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
the gl front suspension is noisy. your might have cured your particular problem, but overall it is clunky over quick success of small bumps...

also every one i drove has a heavy clunk when going over speed bumps at say 5 mph... which is a shame as the gl otherwise is very quiet and creak free. in comparison an escalade (or pretty much any other large suv) suspension is dead quiet, but torsional rigidity is weak and their interiors creaks a lot...

i guess you cant have it all....

Last edited by alx; 11-22-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL550
Originally Posted by alx
the gl front suspension is noisy. your might have cured your particular problem, but overall it is clunky over quick success of small bumps...

also every one i drove has a heavy clunk when going over speed bumps at say 5 mph... which is a shame as the gl otherwise is very quiet and creak free. in comparison an escalade (or pretty much any other large suv) suspension is dead quiet, but torsional rigidity is weak and their interiors creaks a lot...

i guess you cant have it all....
My suspension is silent with the ADS set in sport mode. Speed bumps are easily absorbed. I admit it is pretty bouncy in comfort.