GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Considering 2011 from 2008 CDI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL320
Considering 2011 from 2008 CDI

Hi all, I have been on the forum since I bought in 2008, but thanks to all of the great threads, I have not had much to start myself until now. Sorry in advance for the long post.

I am considering upgrading my 2008 CDI to the 2011 model. My wife loves her diesel and the looks, but we have had many nagging problems. The list of problems include:

Going in to dealer this week for the following:

Exterior window trim peeling - Second time
Rear hatch not closing and now not opening - 3rd visit
Truck not sitting level, drivers side lower
Sunroof bellows loose
Key fob doesn't work past 2 feet
Vehicle battery weak
Intermitten radio issue since day 1 - Sounds like all speakers are blown

Other items that have been repaired.
Low oil sensor - fixed ofter 3rd complaint
Rear doors - plastic trim broken, both sides, at rocket panel ( sorry can't think of correct description)
Plastic seatbelt clip for cargo area broke.
Cargo cover replaced because of excessive squeaks, creaks

So my long winded question is, am I going to be just as disappointed with a 2011? We really like the truck but feel that we should not be having these issues with a Mercedes Benz. It will all boil down to how much the dealer will work with us. We will probably be in touch with MBUSA as well. Any opinions and tips are welcome. I really hate the idea of going to Toyota/Lexus.

Thanks again!
Old 02-13-2011, 08:19 PM

GL320
Just to note, I am not concerned with going to runflats or the adblue.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2024 G63 AMG, 2022 GLE 63S AMG
I'd probably switch to a 2010 or 2011. You'd probably get a better deal on a new 2010. The only thing that makes the 2010 different from the 2011 are the mirrors. Not a big thing...
Old 02-14-2011, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 184 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
You will be VERY disappointed with runflat tires.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Originally Posted by lkchris
You will be VERY disappointed with runflat tires.
Wow, that's a pretty strong statement. Since 2009, every diesel GL and all 450s with the appearance package (probably at least half of the 450s produced) have come with runflats installed. I don't recall anyone ever getting on this board and saying they were VERY disappointed in the Runflats. To the contrary, many people have expressed their satisfaction with the tires. Have you ever driven a GL with runflats?
Old 02-14-2011, 03:24 PM

2008 GL 320 CDI Black/Black
Originally Posted by 43221B
Wow, that's a pretty strong statement. Since 2009, every diesel GL and all 450s with the appearance package (probably at least half of the 450s produced) have come with runflats installed. I don't recall anyone ever getting on this board and saying they were VERY disappointed in the Runflats. To the contrary, many people have expressed their satisfaction with the tires. Have you ever driven a GL with runflats?
I'm sure Kent has his reasons for this...but for me we replaced my wife's X5 runflats with the same Bridgestone Dueler in a std version...the driving experience went from a 3 out of 10 to an 8 out of 10! Our GL's obviously have a longer wheelbase, so will ride smoother - but in this experience, I won't drive with runflats on anything. You're calling AAA or whoever either way if you blow a tire! Plus, a runflat can't be plugged if there is a nail in it - regular tires can. I see zero purpose for a runflat...they are also very expensive to replace. So I would back up that "strong statement"!
Old 02-14-2011, 07:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
But...your X5 has a different size runflat tire, an entirely different suspension, it's lighter, and as you mention it has a different wheelbase. That is an apples to oranges comparison. Further, the Goodyear runflats can be plugged/repaired. http://www.goodyear.eu/home_en/tires.../runonflat.jsp I can't speak for the Bridgestone tires. Maybe they are terrible, I don't know. Perhaps the fact that they cost half what the Goodyears cost has something to do with it. As far as cost is concerned, people (including me) are reporting close to twice the mileage with the runflats than with the OE 19" tires. Considering you don't have to pay for installation as often, they might be cheaper than the 19" OE tires.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:08 AM

GLK350, GL320CDI
We took the plunge from 2008 GL CDI to and ordered 2011 GL CDI.
More features added. Blind side monitoring. New Nav better HK.
Bigger tires.
ADS as an option in Canada.
Heated and cooled and multi contour seats.
Better lighting package.
LED

We had 0 issues with the 2008 lasted until 100000kms
Still original brakes and rotors.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:11 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 Black SLK 55 AMG, Black 2015 GL 550, 2011 Blue GLK 350
I have upgraded from the 08 CDI with many issues that were eventually resolved: tailgate issues causing dead battery three times, blown air shock, intermittent radio issues as you mentioned (I never took it in for the radio issue as I would just stop, shut off the engine for about 10 seconds, restart and it would clear up. Didn't happen all that often, maybe 3 times in 2.5 years of ownership). I now have the MY 11 GL 350 Bluetec. I love the improvements. Better NAV, Keyless GO is awesome (P2) and bi xenon headlights. As far as the runflats, I checked the pricing with Tirerack.com and the old 19" wheels were about $500 each. The new 20" rims that came on my GL show the runflat price of $230 per tire. They are right, if you get a nail and flat, you are supposed to go 50 miles at max 50 MPH. Not everyone carries these tires in stock so you may be forced to wait a day to get a new tire. My concern is when towing my boat over the road. However, I carry a spare tire on the trailer so I could use that to get going again quickly (I carry a jack and tools as well on the trailer). For daily driving, I'm not concerned about the spare as I could limp home and pick up a new tire the next day. If over the road on a trip when not pulling my boat, I'm just stuck. Call MB and wait for them to order a tire. Driving with runflats. They tend to tramline somewhat (follow grooves on the road due to stiff sidewalls). I have a Z4 BMW that has runflats. It tramlines pretty badly. However the GL is not as noticable. I personally like the feel of the ride of the 20" rims and shorter sidewalls of the runflats. The 08 had 18" rims and taller sidewalls. That GL seemed to float too much over the road (soft sidewalls). It felt harder to keep on track driving down the freeway. I did keep the air pressure up to help counteract that. You just need to experience the feel and decide for yourself. Personally, I prefer to have real tires with a spare, but I have no choice with the new Bluetec. I could replace them when they are shot with non-runflats and carry a patch kit with a small compressor but I haven't decided as of yet. Good luck with your decision. I'm happy with my 11.